OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Sani »

As a parent of a six-year-old, I'm a little ambivalent about the Lego store, only because I can imagine opening up the package on the tray table and having pieces scatter everywhere when we hit a bit of turbulence, leading to missing pieces and an unhappy kid. But as a business idea, clearly it works well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The all gender is B is huge. I'll always be going there.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Sani wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm As a parent of a six-year-old, I'm a little ambivalent about the Lego store, only because I can imagine opening up the package on the tray table and having pieces scatter everywhere when we hit a bit of turbulence, leading to missing pieces and an unhappy kid. But as a business idea, clearly it works well.
Great for Grandparents to snag a present before going down to arrivals and greeting the family. My Grandparents always brought a little Lego set for me when they came to visit.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Another trip this week, so I tried driving myself and parking in the new garage. I haven't done this in about a decade, instead preferring Uber, bus, or drop-off in that order. However, my last Uber trip home was $62 -- more than the last time I paid for a Yellow Cab!

The parking lights are genius. I arrived really early, but was able to nab one of the five spaces on level one. All of the time savings evaporated when I discovered the Clear kiosk closed. No staffing? Either way, I'm got a Pre-Check appointment soon so we'll see how that compares since my home airport now has both.

Bummer that Soiree is stuck in the A concourse with hardly no activity. Hope they make it!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:35 pm All of the time savings evaporated when I discovered the Clear kiosk closed.
DId waiting to get through security the eat your time savings? I'm curious how long that took you since I haven't heard of any wait times longer than 10 or 15 minutes.
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:39 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:35 pm All of the time savings evaporated when I discovered the Clear kiosk closed.
DId waiting to get through security the eat your time savings? I'm curious how long that took you since I haven't heard of any wait times longer than 10 or 15 minutes.
Here's a breakdown of day/time of day/ and expected wait at KCI. I assume it's recent data. Some of these times seem long compared to what I've heard.

http://airports-airlines.com/airport/MC ... al-Airport
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:34 pm
Here's a breakdown of day/time of day/ and expected wait at KCI. I assume it's recent data. Some of these times seem long compared to what I've heard.

I fly 1-2 times from KCI most weeks since the new terminal opened. There is no way this website is based on New Terminal waits.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:47 pm

I fly 1-2 times from KCI most weeks since the new terminal opened. There is no way this website is based on New Terminal waits.
Possibly skewed because the short duration in which the terminal has been open also includes Spring Break?? I don't know the source of the information. There are some websites you can see the current waiting time at security and I've not seen it more than 10 minutes. But I'm not up checking at 6:20 AM either.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've never seen those sites being accurate
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:34 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:47 pm

Possibly skewed because the short duration in which the terminal has been open also includes Spring Break?? I don't know the source of the information. There are some websites you can see the current waiting time at security and I've not seen it more than 10 minutes. But I'm not up checking at 6:20 AM either.
I am checking in at 6:20am. Given how few weeks there have been and how often I've traveled, there would need to have been days with multi-hour waits imho. Also that website says there are 3 terminals at KCI so it could very likely be a few years out of date.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Considering most airports can have major hiccups the first 6 months+ after opening (Denver's luggage handling debacle?) sounds like issues with KC's are fairly minor and not relatively hard/expensive to solve. Some will be about adjustments. If all the most problematic issues can develop a plan to be resolved within a year or next budget cycle these aren't worth worrying about. Sounds overall like a relatively successful opening with annoying hiccups at most rather than requiring something to be redesigned.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:39 pm Considering most airports can have major hiccups the first 6 months+ after opening (Denver's luggage handling debacle?) sounds like issues with KC's are fairly minor and not relatively hard/expensive to solve. Some will be about adjustments. If all the most problematic issues can develop a plan to be resolved within a year or next budget cycle these aren't worth worrying about. Sounds overall like a relatively successful opening with annoying hiccups at most rather than requiring something to be redesigned.
Exactly. We are pretty lucky we are talking scuff marks. Which I just experienced at LGA today. The belle of the ball of new terminals. Shocker.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Coming back in May for 3 weeks.....but not my usual Glasgow to Kansas City, this time it'll be via Edinburgh to St. Louis and i-70. Fares and connection times on my usual route were just piss poor to be honest. I suppose thats to expected somewhat using provincial airports, but I hope the new terminal is the shot the City needs to get transatlantic service. Two connections and nigh on a grand per person to KC is pretty off putting for friends and relatives to visit. Also tried Omaha, Wichita, Springfield and Des Moines and its just the same. I've gotten the Edinburgh to St. Louis flight for the same cost as two stops to KC and the connection times are perfect at 2 hours each. Unfortunately Glasgow my home airport is in dire straights, we used to have daily flights on United, Delta and American to JFK, Newark and Philadelphia now we have nothing and you have to go via London Heathrow, Dublin, Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

Also planning to go down to New Orleans for a few days so will at least get to sample the new terminal.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Picking up a friend later this week at KCI. Are the arrival hiccups still an issue or has the situation started to resolve itself? Fully plan to use the cell phone lot if needed but wondering how the traffic flow in arrivals is coming a month after opening? Anybody been there lately?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I have used the airport at different times and there has been NO back up in the arrivals lanes. I think more people are using the cell phone lot and the police are doing a better job at enforcing the pick up policy.

But the scuff marks on the floor at the bag claim makes the entire airport feel so dangerous. This is only a problem at KCI, no other airport I've seen. So glad the news covered such an important story. Otherwise, I wouldn't know to be outraged by it.
KC is the way to be!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:38 pm I have used the airport at different times and there has been NO back up in the arrivals lanes. I think more people are using the cell phone lot and the police are doing a better job at enforcing the pick up policy.

But the scuff marks on the floor at the bag claim makes the entire airport feel so dangerous. This is only a problem at KCI, no other airport I've seen. So glad the news covered such an important story. Otherwise, I wouldn't know to be outraged by it.
Director of Airport has resigned. Maybe this problem will be fixed now!

Just kidding, I would need a break after such a big project. I hope the new aviation director can push us to the next level of air service and growth at KCI. I vote Justin Meyer.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:38 pm I have used the airport at different times and there has been NO back up in the arrivals lanes. I think more people are using the cell phone lot and the police are doing a better job at enforcing the pick up policy.

Thanks. I was late putting on the sarcasm detector for the second part of the story. The media was looking for literally anything to complain about.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It didn't seem to be at all a problem last night but I was walking through I guess I don't know for sure if people were queued up unnecessarily before the terminal. The back half of arrivals was basically empty so assuming not
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Just kidding, I would need a break after such a big project. I hope the new aviation director can push us to the next level of air service and growth at KCI. I vote Justin Meyer.
Any word on who is filling in? Is Meyer moving up? Or are they bringing a new one on?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:11 pm
langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Any word on who is filling in? Is Meyer moving up? Or are they bringing a new one on?
I think It would be hard to get away without an official search. Meyer is active on social media but there are 4 other vice heads