OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by beautyfromashes »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm Dumb from the new terminal PR side, but GD the old terminal is just a shit hole now. Can't wait to never fly out of their again.
Like, a worse shithole than before? I just flew out last week. Seemed the same shithole we’ve had for 20 years.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think it's the knowing how close we are makes the normal crappiness even crappier.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:01 pm
shinatoo wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm Dumb from the new terminal PR side, but GD the old terminal is just a shit hole now. Can't wait to never fly out of their again.
Like, a worse shithole than before? I just flew out last week. Seemed the same shithole we’ve had for 20 years.
The concessions, such as they are, have gotten significantly worse. They never really recovered from covid.

But kcp is right. It's knowing there's an almost complete replacement right next door waiting for you.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 pm March 3 is the official opening date as of now so not sure where this "mid-march" is coming from if the media reports today of opening early are in the cards.

Seems with all the parties those logistics are already set and hard to move the date but maybe not.
They landed charters for tnf at the new terminal which seemed...weird?

I really wish they'd start talking normally. This isn't Steve Jobs unveiling the iPhone; it's a public works project that the public should be read in on.

On the media tour today they have all of these cool renderings of the restaurants. Wtf aren't these public? And not in a shitty taken by a camera phone way.

The media team behind this is becoming so exhausting.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes it is. This is a prime opportunity to promote something great going on in KC and the PR is dropping the ball. All these maps should be out there front and center getting people excited.

Really only fail of the project.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:01 pm
I disagree, while the last 20 the airport format was fundamentally flawed, at least they maintained it. Made some effort. But now everything is crumbling. Parking garages, sidewalks, bathrooms. Hardly ever have any concessions open. Gate areas are only getting basic maintenance. Can't say I blame them. But I'm tired of flying out of what has become old Laguardia.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:17 am Yes it is. This is a prime opportunity to promote something great going on in KC and the PR is dropping the ball. All these maps should be out there front and center getting people excited.

Really only fail of the project.
I would have this plastered all over the old terminal too. Look what's coming soon. I can't for the life of me figure out what they're doing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

totally agree. It's hard to even find a rendering in the current terminal. Heck there is like a tiny sign driving into the terminal.

Must have been one of the areas we saved $
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Flew in last evening (5pm) Terminal B. Cafes, restaurants all shut down and terminal dark/abandonded looking. Elevator to short term parking broken and roped off with no signs of fixing anytime soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trigger warning
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Large retail map via @buildkci twitter
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:04 am totally agree. It's hard to even find a rendering in the current terminal. Heck there is like a tiny sign driving into the terminal.

Must have been one of the areas we saved $
It's funny because within my work I've occasionally had to ask people for permission to use their logo and other not interesting stuff on banners and marketing stuff.

Without fail, the response is typically we'll pay for whatever you want, just let us know. What you want, let's instead cover the entire terminal! lol

I don't think it's a money issue.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:08 am Large retail map via @buildkci twitter
Thanks for posting a readable version of that. As much as I like the local theme, I think they have made a mistake in not seeking out a McDonalds (or other fast food chain) or Starbucks. All but the very adventurous traveller's like what they like or at least something familiar and those from out of town are not going to find it at KCI. I suspect we will see some of the concessions change within a year or two at the most.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I follow a Southwest pilot on TikTok who posted a video recently about the new terminal. She said she hoped there would be a Starbucks in it. I commented to let her know that, while there won't be Starbucks, there will be Parisi, City Market Coffee Roasters, Mother Earth Coffee, and Dunkin'. Hopefully that will suffice for a while.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:09 pm
Thanks for posting a readable version of that. As much as I like the local theme, I think they have made a mistake in not seeking out a McDonalds (or other fast food chain) or Starbucks. All but the very adventurous traveller's like what they like or at least something familiar and those from out of town are not going to find it at KCI. I suspect we will see some of the concessions change within a year or two at the most.
Yeah, I think you will see some of these close and be replaced by the likes of and Chipotle and McDonalds. It will be interesting to see what survives.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Some really good places, some I’ve never heard of. What are:
Saft Fresh
Cervasi
Hearth &
mCB?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Sani wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:45 pm I follow a Southwest pilot on TikTok who posted a video recently about the new terminal. She said she hoped there would be a Starbucks in it. I commented to let her know that, while there won't be Starbucks, there will be Parisi, City Market Coffee Roasters, Mother Earth Coffee, and Dunkin'. Hopefully that will suffice for a while.
I like the local slant of the food/beverage options. BUT I think there's a need for at least one fast food (BK, McD, etc.) when people just want a cheap-ass burger and don't want to have to Google every resto option to figure out what they offer. And when people travel with kids they don't want to take a flyer on fancy chicken strips from a local brewery when screaming kids just want their processed nuggets.

I'll for sure be happy with Mother Earth Coffee but if someone is running late or transferring they won't be able to log in to their Starbucks app, order ahead and have it waiting.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:47 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:09 pm
Yeah, I think you will see some of these close and be replaced by the likes of and Chipotle and McDonalds. It will be interesting to see what survives.
I'd sure hope not. I hope these locals do well.
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

That is my concern too. I am all for the local restaurant faire, but Starbucks, McDonalds are standard faire that people know and recognize. Dunkin is too but Starbucks is a go to for so many. I hope it succeeds, but I fear that we're going to lose some of these choices. It has to be a balanced mix IMO, and 80/20 isnt gonna fly . Going to be a lesson in Darwinism. Concourse A South could be the first, as only international flights are on that wing based on the map provided in the powerpoint. I think the biggest fail is not having one or two of the major BBQ chains in the facility. I'm happy for the BBQ Champion getting a chance, but travelers might not think twice if it isnt one of the big names.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This sounds so pretentious, but I travel a lot. If I want a coffee, I go to a place selling coffee. If I want a drink, I go to a place with alcohol

I don’t think this matters at all.