OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Noahfleshman »

I don’t know full details, I just know that tech ops is coming, not to mention I have seen them around a lot lately. Supposedly United is supposed to get 20+ main lines a day and there’s talks of becoming a line station for UA, although honestly I don’t know, But the things I am saying I have been hearing from other people for the past few months so I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but if I keep hearing the same things over and over and over again I’m going to assume something
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:23 pm There is pushback to streetcar at every turn. NextRail, the Urban Rail election, to even the UMKC expansion have all had varying levels of pushback.

The next issue we are going to have is: "We built it and now are done for 50 years." Additional Convention Center Hotels, renovating Bartle Hall, expanding the airport, adding more streetcar lines, etc are all potentially good projects that I forsee pushback. You are already seeing that with the 670 cap, ballpark, and general development pushback; "I though we already invested in downtown".

Kansas City built TSC stadiums, KCI airport, interstates, bridges, convention center, Crown Center, etc in like a single decade then decided they were done building. BIG CITIES ARE NEVER DONE BUILDING.
A City is either under construction or destruction!!!!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 am I don’t know full details, I just know that tech ops is coming, not to mention I have seen them around a lot lately. Supposedly United is supposed to get 20+ main lines a day and there’s talks of becoming a line station for UA, although honestly I don’t know, But the things I am saying I have been hearing from other people for the past few months so I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but if I keep hearing the same things over and over and over again I’m going to assume something
Maybe Lufthansa to KC after all!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 am I don’t know full details, I just know that tech ops is coming, not to mention I have seen them around a lot lately. Supposedly United is supposed to get 20+ main lines a day and there’s talks of becoming a line station for UA, although honestly I don’t know, But the things I am saying I have been hearing from other people for the past few months so I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but if I keep hearing the same things over and over and over again I’m going to assume something
Good news regardless and glad you shared it with us
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:31 pm ...but the general citizenry is supportive of the streetcar expanding now.
We don't actually know this.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Can someone explain for what being a line station for UA would mean?

Thanks,
KCDowntown
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:36 pm

Thanks,
KCDowntown
I'm not an airport expert, but I took it to mean what is commonly called mro — maintenance, repair, and overhaul.

I'll let other people correct me if I'm wrong.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:43 pm

Thanks,
KCDowntown
I'm not an airport expert, but I took it to mean what is commonly called mro — maintenance, repair, and overhaul.

United has 40 line stations with maintenance capabilities per their website.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:58 pm

Thanks,
KCDowntown

I'm out of my pay grade here, but I believe a few airlines have MRO capabilities at KCI. I want to say American and Southwest and maybe Delta? Cargo too. Don't quote me on this.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:31 pm ...but the general citizenry is supportive of the streetcar expanding now.
Just to clarify here, I'm referring to the Main St expansion, that got a vast majority of the votes. That's what I meant when I said we did the first run of streetcar that people were so scared of, and then once they're used to it and realized the benefits they came around on it big time.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:27 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm
Just to clarify here, I'm referring to the Main St expansion, that got a vast majority of the votes. That's what I meant when I said we did the first run of streetcar that people were so scared of, and then once they're used to it and realized the benefits they came around on it big time.
Main street always supports transit. This just happens to be the first election where only Main Street votes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:14 pm

I'm out of my pay grade here, but I believe a few airlines have MRO capabilities at KCI. I want to say American and Southwest and maybe Delta? Cargo too. Don't quote me on this.
Delta, SWA, and a bunch of others do MRO at the overhaul base through a contractor. I think United's line station maintenance is not nearly as in-depth. however, someone wants to build a new mro hanger at kci so it could be united
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

OPEN HOUSE ANNOUNCED!

Book Your First Look: Kansas Citians Invited for Sneak Peek of Brand-New Terminal at Kansas City International Airport

Project Leaders Commemorate the New Terminal’s Upcoming Grand Opening with Community Open House; a Thank You to the Workforce Who Built it and the Community that Supported It

KANSAS CITY, Mo. A new era of air travel is nearly ready for take-off and Kansas Citians will have the first opportunity to experience the future of transportation in the region for themselves.

The Kansas City Aviation Department, together with partners Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate and design-builder Clark|Weitz|Clarkson, invite the Kansas City community to take a first look at the New Terminal during a Community Open House event on Saturday, February 18 from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central The event will allow Kansas Citians to get acquainted with the Terminal’s new layout, parking structure, numerous amenities and inclusive features, and the variety of restaurant and retail options that will be available once the facility opens for air travel. The official opening date of the new terminal will be announced in the coming weeks.

Kansas Citians will have the option to explore the facility in person or take a virtual tour online.

To access a link to register for the Community Open House, visit our Open House page here on buildkci.com. Space is limited to 10,000 attendees. Interested individuals are encouraged to register early to reserve their spot. Attendees must register online and book their timeslot to experience the New Terminal in person.

A virtual guided tour of the New Terminal is also set to air on February 18 at 10 a.m. Central and will help ensure that everyone can participate in the grand opening festivities and sneak a peek at the new facility. Individuals interested in avoiding the crowds and exploring the terminal online can view the tour via the BuildKCI YouTube channel.

“It is only fitting that the very people who supported us throughout this process, and those who helped us deliver this extraordinary facility – the people of Kansas City – should be the first to experience the New Terminal. We thank them for their continued support.” said Patrick Klein, director of the Kansas City Aviation Department.

Every detail in the roughly 1.1 million square-foot facility is considerate of the passenger experience, with the goal of making travel more accessible, convenient, enjoyable— and less stressful. During the in-person Community Open House, attendees can:

Explore the New Terminal’s modern amenities and inclusive features first-hand via a self-guided tour;
Locate the facility’s wide variety of retail and restaurant options;
Connect with Kansas City’s valued airline partners and their local teams;
Engage with subject matter experts from the New Terminal’s operations, development, design and construction teams;
View museum-quality public art installations and meet some of the local artists who created them;
Capture some memorable social media snaps at the one-of-a-kind selfie station; and
Participate in a scavenger hunt and other family-friendly activities.
Design and construction efforts for the New Terminal began in 2018. The project is on schedule to be completed on time and within its $1.5 billion budget.

“In the earliest days of this project, we invited the community to share with us what they wanted to see in the new facility,” said Geoff Stricker, Edgemoor senior managing director. “We couldn’t be more excited to welcome Kansas Citians to their New Terminal and show them how their ideas and desires are reflected in the final project.”

Link to the page with a link to the signup page: https://www.buildkci.com/open-house/
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Signed up for an 11 AM slot.

As luck would have it, we have a family event to go to the following week...and we're flying back on the 28th. If nothing else, I guess I'll get the hands-on experience for what's in/around the baggage claim area prior needing everyone's thoughts and prayers that the baggage system is working when we get back. :-P
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I booked a flight today as well that has me leaving out of the. old and landing in the new on the 28th purposely to land day 1. So now I'm not doing the open house and spoil the surprise of landing in it for real.
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

I signed up for the 9am slot. Wonder where they're going to want us to park?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:26 pm I booked a flight today as well that has me leaving out of the. old and landing in the new on the 28th purposely to land day 1. So now I'm not doing the open house and spoil the surprise of landing in it for real.
That's a fun idea!

I'm doing the open house so I can roam aimlessly around for an hour in a way that might not be appreciated at a functioning airport. 😂

But I'm excited for the first real experience too.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

The open house thing sounds like a good time. Hoping I can squeeze it in that day.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:20 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:26 pm I booked a flight today as well that has me leaving out of the. old and landing in the new on the 28th purposely to land day 1. So now I'm not doing the open house and spoil the surprise of landing in it for real.
That's a fun idea!

I'm doing the open house so I can roam aimlessly around for an hour in a way that might not be appreciated at a functioning airport. 😂

But I'm excited for the first real experience too.
I will definitely not be leaving quickly from gate to uber

I'm guessing that open house is a redacted piece of the airport. Head house and maybe the first concourse?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:11 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:14 pm

Delta, SWA, and a bunch of others do MRO at the overhaul base through a contractor. I think United's line station maintenance is not nearly as in-depth. however, someone wants to build a new mro hanger at kci so it could be united
AirCanada does as well.