OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by AlkaliAxel »

gfenn11 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:29 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:52 pm Anyone else planning to get a ticket to take a trip out of here the first day this opens?

I'll happily let others experience the sure fire issues that will happen initially and enjoy it after the kinks are worked out.
I guarantee the new airport & initial kinks will still be 100x better than the current airport
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:52 pm Anyone else planning to get a ticket to take a trip out of here the first day this opens?

I'll happily let others experience the sure fire issues that will happen initially and enjoy it after the kinks are worked out.
Those should be ironed out during the stress test that Justin tweeted about a few weeks ago
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:37 pm

Those should be ironed out during the stress test that Justin tweeted about a few weeks ago
There will always be hiccups that arise.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:36 pm

I guarantee the new airport & initial kinks will still be 100x better than the current airport
No doubt.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If anyone goes to the downtowners please report. Can’t make it
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Permit for a food service tenant finish for an establishment called 'The Leagues'. It will be located at 'BS2-080 Concourse B'

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Smh this is how we have to find ot tenants in a new airport terminal.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

This is a great idea and kudos to Platt and the city for spearheading working through this. Sounds like Evergy could get back involved in making it happen.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:05 pm This is a great idea and kudos to Platt and the city for spearheading working through this. Sounds like Evergy could get back involved in making it happen.
Fingers crossed. I'm hoping the Hawthorne plant gets the same treatment and the entire city runs on solar power, with a solid back up plan ofc.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The nice thing is that solar panels sill have a lot of room for efficiency improvements. Modern panels today absorb about 20% or so of sunlight energy hitting panel converted to electricity. Five years ago it was below 15%. There are some in proof of concept stage that can covert 30%. So as panel tech efficiency improves over time and the airport panels lifecycle out they can be replaced by more efficient panels over the years allowing for more Watts in same size field. Shouldn't be an issue to stay on top of renewable energy needs for data centers, especially if combining other renewable formats.

There's a slick damless hydro approach where you dig a tunnel (or diversion) at a river bend and run water through mini turbines then back into river, no impact to potential barge/recreational traffic. KC and Evergy need to look into this.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

Been catching up on threads for a bit lately after an absence from KCRag. This one made for interesting reading.

I loved this line from Sani regarding the glass jet bridges:
Sani wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:07 pm I'm glad we sprung for those instead of the windowless ones made of corrugated steel, fluorescent lighting, and despair.
Those enclosed corrugated-steel jetways with no windows always made me think: Is this what livestock feel like going into the rendering plant?

The "everything seems narrow" meme was a welcome laugh at the end of a hard week. All of you are nuts. Don't ever change.

Then I came across this:
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 pm ...The colors are really what makes me feel that the overall design is meant to bring a calm vibe to the sometimes-hectic airplane travel experience...

For example, Brightline in Florida has a nice citrus smell in all three of their stations, but the colors inside are a bit harsh. The citrus smells "wakes you up" in a way. But like the new KC airport and other newer airports, natural light helps brighten someone's mood.
This reminded me of my first flight into Maui. Got off the plane, walking into the airport, thought it was nice after having breathed processed air for several hours that someone had the presence of mind to pipe subtle flower scents into the airport. Walked a little further and suddenly realized...this airport is completely open to the outside. That's just the natural scent in the air here. That was special.

I realize that Kansas City's new airport can't naturally smell like barbecue. Or maybe it can, at least near the City Market area? Not having been in it yet with everything up and running, I can't say for sure. I'll be watching the reviews when it opens, though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The New LaGuardia Is Haunted by the Mistakes of its Past

An $8 billion overhaul has transformed the long-reviled New York airport. But LaGuardia’s troubled history can’t be fully overcome.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... ow-organic
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

There is a new video on "the B1M" youtube channel about the Denver airport. It's crazy they are planning for 100 million passengers within the next few years and they are a metro roughly the same size as STL.

I wonder if the new KCI will be able to pull some traffic away from Denver to be a more logical mid-continent hub. We have less severe winters and are closer to the east coast hubs.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

dnweava wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 am There is a new video on "the B1M" youtube channel about the Denver airport. It's crazy they are planning for 100 million passengers within the next few years and they are a metro roughly the same size as STL.

I wonder if the new KCI will be able to pull some traffic away from Denver to be a more logical mid-continent hub. We have less severe winters and are closer to the east coast hubs.
DIA is a hub for United, Frontier and to an extent Southwest. It can snow a foot overnight & be 60 in a few hours. It is the largest airport in the U.S. by land area & has 146 gates. So yeah, MCI should be able to pull some traffic away. Logical
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Or just get some traffic back that was originally planned for KC. Southwest was not even in Denver back when they wanted to make KC a focus city. Not sure if that ship has sailed or not.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 am Or just get some traffic back that was originally planned for KC. Southwest was not even in Denver back when they wanted to make KC a focus city. Not sure if that ship has sailed or not.
It has. SW has more gates there than the entire new KCI terminal will have for all airlines
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 am Or just get some traffic back that was originally planned for KC. Southwest was not even in Denver back when they wanted to make KC a focus city. Not sure if that ship has sailed or not.
I doubt it’s sailed. SW was one of the primary drivers for new terminal at MCI, and were incredibly engaged with edgemoore and the city with the project. I’d image one (or a couple) airline(s) pursue MCI hub status, or at the very least a focus city in the years following new terminal opening. We’ll be the only central city in the US served by JB, Delta is looking to open a lounge here, and SW still dominates the KC market by more than 1/3rd. We’re well positioned going forward to say the least.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:18 am
It has. SW has more gates there than the entire new KCI terminal will have for all airlines
Still say that if KC had rebuilt KCI 10-15 years sooner, KCI would have a large chunk of what Denver has now and Denver would still be a major world hub. Same with StL.

Maybe KC can get at least some of those flights from DEN and STL once they have a respectable terminal.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:22 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:18 am
Still say that if KC had rebuilt KCI 10-15 years sooner, KCI would have a large chunk of what Denver has now and Denver would still be a major world hub. Same with StL.

Maybe KC can get at least some of those flights from DEN and STL once they have a respectable terminal.
No doubt, we definitely shot ourselves in the foot and squandered our geographic advantage for the better half of half a century
Last edited by Anthony_Hugo98 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.