Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:01 am
trailerkid wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:43 pm I see the arrivals is already having congestion issues in the garage. I'm telling you, they need to move the rental car buses and maybe economy parking buses to a designated spot on the curb right at the terminal. That would make those buses more convenient and free up space in the garage lanes.
You should email the Deputy Director with your suggestions:
Justin.Meyer@kcmo.org
The worst pick up experiences IMHO are at airports where the bus curb is the first one.
I think it just depends on how everything is layed out.

As a traffic planner, I was concerned with the road leading to the terminal all along. I think the split off to departures and arrivals is too close to the terminal which means if one level gets congested at all, it can back up and effect the main lanes coming to the other level of the terminal and commercial lanes going to the garage. And the amount of space in the garage lanes just seems tight for everything they have in there.

I'm sure the key is the cops have to keep people moving, even if it pisses everybody off. However, I think the cops probably need to help people too and instead of just yelling at them to move to quickly. They need to tell them they can do a quick loop around the airport tower and come back (just a few minutes), go to the cell phone lot which is 30 seconds away or park in the garage. There will be a learning curve that you can't just sit at the curb and wait for any more than a few seconds. Hopefully this will fix it and there are not actual major logistic and geometrical issues that will need to be fixed.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

They need to make first 30 or 45 minutes of parking in the garage free to encourage people so use it instead of clogging the pickup area.

I'll personally just use the garage for drop offs/pick ups even if it's a few dollars just because you can take your time.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Its only a $1 for the first 30 min. That’s reasonable.

They definitely should have anticipated that KC people would continue their past habit of just parking at the curb to wait for the person they are picking up. Should have made some kind of PR campaign to say that is no longer acceptable and increased enforcement/education.

It will get sorted out.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, this is a total non factor that doesn't really shock me about the city. Feel like it's one of those things they just need to leave alone for right now. Just enforce the rules of no parking on the curbs & move on, ticket/tow/whatever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:55 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:43 pm I see the arrivals is already having congestion issues in the garage. I'm telling you, they need to move the rental car buses and maybe economy parking buses to a designated spot on the curb right at the terminal. That would make those buses more convenient and free up space in the garage lanes.
That would likely only exacerbate the current problem.
Yup. That would make this "problem" much much worse
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As I posted my experience Thursday I think the biggest thing they could do to help drivers is better signage earlier. I didn't find it that great or informative. The lanes going in ate plenty, people don't know which lane they can use for what soon enough.

Obviously the idiots parking on the curb just makes it worse.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Article in the Star today reinforcing the park at the curb pickup woes. Not a great look early even if due 100% to change/ignorance:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... stage_lead

As mentioned above, the solution would seem to be 1) strict enforcement of pickup rules and moving cars along, and 2) better communication re: Cell Phone lot availability and location.

Have not driven up to the terminal yet, so I do wonder if there is any merit to Grid's concern about the Departures level being blocked when there is a major traffic jam at Arrivals, such as the that described in the article (1/4 mile jam back to Paris road).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Might have to direct traffic for a bit and then start ticketing people.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I hate to feed into this and legitimize it but I here are the improvements I think could be made to make it easier for people

* Create a cell phone lot right off the Bern St. exit. The one now is dumb and too buried back and doesn't feel "close" for.a driver. Right off Bern would be an easy stop off and drop back onto Cookingham to get into terminal
* Create a better return to terminal road. Going up to Paris and waiting on lights will just discourage anybody from doing it.
* Earlier signage
* Goes without saying but enforcement. The curb lane isn't unmanageable like the old terminals were, easy for cop on foot to get it under control
* Make 30 minutes in the garage free again
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Honestly, good for the airport cops doing their job and vigorously pushing these people through.

If they don't do that, then the airport will be a mess and nobody will ever adjust. I delight in the NIMBY having to learn. haha.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:47 pm I hate to feed into this and legitimize it but I here are the improvements I think could be made to make it easier for people

* Create a cell phone lot right off the Bern St. exit. The one now is dumb and too buried back and doesn't feel "close" for.a driver. Right off Bern would be an easy stop off and drop back onto Cookingham to get into terminal
* Create a better return to terminal road. Going up to Paris and waiting on lights will just discourage anybody from doing it.
* Earlier signage
* Goes without saying but enforcement. The curb lane isn't unmanageable like the old terminals were, easy for cop on foot to get it under control
Enforce and ticket, let’s pay for that APM!!!

I wouldn’t make the garage free. Save as many spots as possible for people who are actually parking there long term instead of transient guests.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:46 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:55 pm
That would likely only exacerbate the current problem.
Yup. That would make this "problem" much much worse
Not if done right. I'm not talking about mixing drop off cars with buses. Anyway, not going to happen so moving on.
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:47 pm I hate to feed into this and legitimize it but I here are the improvements I think could be made to make it easier for people

* Earlier signage
I had no idea the cell phone lot was way over by the Marriott. I guess they can put right off Bern near the pond, but I doubt they do that since it's only like 30 seconds closer. They just need good signage to get people to the cell phone lot. I don't know if they have that or not.

I agree with the return to terminal. I thought the new configuration would have a direct return to terminal ramp, but I guess it doesn't. They just need to install a U-Turn flyover ramp similar to the ramps they have in Grandview for I-49. The problem is that Bern Street exit is so close to the terminal. This is also why the split to the arrivals and departures is so close to the terminal to allow room for the Bern street ramp. That split should be way back by Bern Street to keep congestion on one level from affecting the other levels and garage but the Bern interchange is in the way.

Curb enforcement is key, I agree, but I would not make the garage free. It's a dollar, geez. Otherwise people will overuse it and not use the cell phone lot etc.

Most of these issues are caused by forcing the terminal into that location because the city and state didn't want to pay to build proper new infrastructure for a terminal on the south side of the airport. Had a terminal been built there, you would not have all the space issues with the roads as you would have a fresh new roadway design for this type of terminal. You would still have the issue of people learning to not wait at the curb, but things would flow much better. Not to mention the terminal would be much closer to the city (due to not having to go around the runways) easier to bring rail transit to it.

The extra 200 million to build new infrastructure connections to I-29 and US-152 would have been worth it.

Nothing you can do about that now though.
Last edited by GRID on Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not a long term design problem. Your post makes it sound that way, it's designed perfectly fine. Just needs education and tweaks.

And yes the cell phone lot now isn't really far away but in people's mind it is. Make it right off bern and it's a straight shot in and out

I think the test of your posts you are meaning to reference Paris not bern
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yes Paris Street.

Hopefully it not a major problem. I do think short term improvements would be to build a return to terminal U-Turn ramp an maybe use one of the surface lots near the tower for the cell phone lot.

You are right it's all about how far it feels and that current cell phone lots feels pretty out of the way. Still probably only a 2 minute drive if they keep traffic flowing.

Long term, they could eventually just remove or rebuild the Paris St interchange. There are things that can be done to separate that out a bit more.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

To clarify there is a u turn but it only takes you to the garage.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

In 3 months nobody's gonna care about this issue anymore. It's been like 2 days.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

One of the bigger youtubers to do a video on the new terminal. Nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsfHwLVzFhM
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'll have some videos soon of the drive up. Sun was in a bad spot so may not look great. I've been wandering pre security for awhile some thoughts

Seems pre security needs more seating. Both levels have plenty of space but few seats. Maybe on order? The window wells in arrivals are good seating spots and being well used

Bathrooms on departures level need a better sign. It's like the sign is too low or the toilet icon isn't well known. S directed a few people to where they are. Much easier to find in arrivals.

Cars are just queuing up still in the curb lane of arrivals. Easy to see why it backs up. New message signs up telling people to use two lanes for arrivals. That overhead traffic sign makes it seem like only one. That's an easy fix.

There are cabs standing waiting!

May need a crossing guard st certain times. One of my videos you will see a pretty long wait letting everyone cross.

Garage parking is super easy and lights are very useful to find a spot.

Sign up for Amazon one if you want to palm into the and go shops. Can also sign up beside the store.

The outdoor courtyard is nice.

The staircase connecting arrivals and departures is very cool and will probably never be noticed by many

Pre check on both ends of security and general security in the middle. Nice touch.

Arrivals floor is really scuffed up from bags already.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:02 pm I'll have some videos soon of the drive up. Sun was in a bad spot so may not look great. I've been wandering pre security for awhile some thoughts

Cars are just queuing up still in the curb lane of arrivals. Easy to see why it backs up. New message signs up telling people to use two lanes for arrivals. That overhead traffic sign makes it seem like only one. That's an easy fix.
I anticipated this would be a problem until people got used to the idea of being able to park 2 deep along the curve. Some people in the attached video seem to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1LhIbZF3Q

The video is a little over the top. I would not call the problems caused by traffic congestion a "rude awakening". A small adjustment will be required, that's all.