OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:47 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:42 pm The north courtyard will look nice as waiting for bags I just can't ever imagine why I'd walk out there.

Is that where the future APM may begin at the departure level? Maybe it's just a placeholder for that function.
Any outdoor space I’ve seen at an airport is taken over by smokers.
Rail or APM will terminate at the garage
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

APM should be connected to inside the airport lobby or thereabouts
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:13 pm APM should be connected to inside the airport lobby or thereabouts
that's just not how things were designed
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:18 pm that's just not how things were designed
I know the garage was designed for a possible rail connection (emphasis on possible) but was an APM possibility also part of it? I thought an APM idea came up after the design was already in place. It would honestly make a ton of sense to have it connect right where that north courtyard is rather than across the driveway in the garage.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think there is a study out there somewhere about it. Where it’s published, I don’t know. Foia it if no one turns it over. It exists somewhere.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shaffe wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:41 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:18 pm that's just not how things were designed
I know the garage was designed for a possible rail connection (emphasis on possible) but was an APM possibility also part of it? I thought an APM idea came up after the design was already in place. It would honestly make a ton of sense to have it connect right where that north courtyard is rather than across the driveway in the garage.
Rail or an APM station fill the same slot (north side of the garage). I have posted at least a twice the APM map to the garage.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Stupid design to make people have to cross the street to get to it. Kinda defeats the purpose a bit.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 pm Stupid design to make people have to cross the street to get to it. Kinda defeats the purpose a bit.
The purpose of an APM or Train is not to save you from crossing the street. The purpose is timed service, capacity/speed, etc.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:47 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:42 pm The north courtyard will look nice as waiting for bags I just can't ever imagine why I'd walk out there.

Is that where the future APM may begin at the departure level? Maybe it's just a placeholder for that function.
Any outdoor space I’ve seen at an airport is taken over by smokers.
Maybe that's what it's for (but goes unsaid). They'd rather have them there than at all the entrances.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

work travel this week took me through CLT and DFW--hadn't been to those airports in a while. those airports are very uninspiring but functional, much like i suspect KC will be (at a reduced scale). while everyone would love an iconic, beautiful airport, baseline functionality and some decent food/retail options will be a gamechanger. arriving at KCI at 9pm last night was incredibly depressing. in fact i would say the wood elements and natural light at KCI will elevate the feel above those two airports.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think I only have two flights left in/out of the current terminal.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Booked direct Southwest to Cancun in early april. Excited to try out my first international from KCI and my first flight out of the new terminal. I want to say it was less than $100 extra per ticket. Imho worth it.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

chrizow wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:19 am work travel this week took me through CLT and DFW--hadn't been to those airports in a while. those airports are very uninspiring but functional, much like i suspect KC will be (at a reduced scale). while everyone would love an iconic, beautiful airport, baseline functionality and some decent food/retail options will be a gamechanger. arriving at KCI at 9pm last night was incredibly depressing. in fact i would say the wood elements and natural light at KCI will elevate the feel above those two airports.
DFW looks like the Death Star and dates from the late 1970s as well. Lololol. Except for Terminal D and the few upgraded airport clubs (the Admirals Club in A and C are being modernized), it really is down-at-heel.

Charlotte just went through a big makeover, but it does still feel like an airport. Some designs just age better than others. DCA (another AA hub) actually works well, even though it reads 1990s as much as DEN. But it just aged better. Better original design.

KC's Mid-Continent International, with its 1960s brutalism, actually had good design elements. But its functionality fell too many years out of date, and it had to be replaced. I do hope Terminal C can be saved if only for architectural reasons.

I loved flying from LA to NYC and spotting the three horseshoes in the prairie from 40k feet. I will miss that.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Has anyone heard anything about volunteer opportunities/signups for stress-testing the new terminal? I'd have to imagine we're very close to the point where they'd want to start testing various aspects of the new terminal.
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

swid wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am Has anyone heard anything about volunteer opportunities/signups for stress-testing the new terminal? I'd have to imagine we're very close to the point where they'd want to start testing various aspects of the new terminal.
I seriously want to be a tester. I would take vacation days off work to do it. I think it would be a lot of fun!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not yet. Justin Meyer I'm sure will promote it on Twitter when the time comes. Sounded like they needed a lot of bodies.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:09 pm Not yet. Justin Meyer I'm sure will promote it on Twitter when the time comes. Sounded like they needed a lot of bodies.
Yup, that is what I heard as well.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

SiouxCity KCMO Man wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:04 pm
swid wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am Has anyone heard anything about volunteer opportunities/signups for stress-testing the new terminal? I'd have to imagine we're very close to the point where they'd want to start testing various aspects of the new terminal.
I seriously want to be a tester. I would take vacation days off work to do it. I think it would be a lot of fun!
Yea same here. Keep the Rag posted as information becomes available. I tend to miss a lot of stuff on Twitter.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Interesting comment by Pete Fullerton, assistant director of properties and commercial development with the City of Kansas City, Missouri Aviation Department. Fullerton, joined by panelists Tina Chace, executive director of Platte County Economic Development Council, and Jade Liska, deputy director of planning and engineering division with the City of Kansas City, Missouri Aviation Department, discussed the new Kansas City International Airport (KCI) terminal facility and its impact on Platte County commercial real estate development at a CREW KC’s luncheon last week.
In response to a question about plans for transportation options between downtown and the airport, Fullerton said to keep an eye on electric vehicle flights, known as eVTOL (electric vertical takeoff and landing) or air taxis.

“I have no doubt in my mind, just my little crystal ball, that by 2026, and the World Cup, we’ll be doing air taxis,” he said.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fullerton said that in the next four months, Vantage will be hiring more than 1,500 employees to work at the airport concessions, a significant increase over the 300 to 400 employees who work there currently.
This seems even bigger in terms of how much more retail/concessions there will be at the new terminal.