Plaza Residential Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Plaza Residential Development

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm Didn't know this was happening. Remind me again - who do we write letters of support to? City Council? Specific city officials?
public.testimony@kcmo.org with the ordinance in the title i.e. "Supporting Testimony for Ordinance 240217" also good to mention the case #: CD-CPC-2023-00173, and what the issue is: Rezoning 4511-4521 Summit St

Also good to CC each Councilperson in on the committee (https://clerk.kcmo.gov/DepartmentDetail ... DF&Search=) and in the District (4th). If City Planning wasn't in support, you could CC them and the planner in charge as well.

You can see the emails testifying against in the attachments on the first link I posted, helpful to write a contrasting perspective.

Showing up in person, even with very simple testimony, is always going to be most effective – but definitely worth the 5 min to send an email if can't.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

bspecht wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:41 am
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm Didn't know this was happening. Remind me again - who do we write letters of support to? City Council? Specific city officials?
public.testimony@kcmo.org with the ordinance in the title i.e. "Supporting Testimony for Ordinance 240217" also good to mention the case #: CD-CPC-2023-00173, and what the issue is: Rezoning 4511-4521 Summit St

Also good to CC each Councilperson in on the committee (https://clerk.kcmo.gov/DepartmentDetail ... DF&Search=) and in the District (4th). If City Planning wasn't in support, you could CC them and the planner in charge as well.

You can see the emails testifying against in the attachments on the first link I posted, helpful to write a contrasting perspective.

Showing up in person, even with very simple testimony, is always going to be most effective – but definitely worth the 5 min to send an email if can't.
Thanks - it is in the 6th district now so if CC'ing the in district council person keep that in mind
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The main issue in this area is not street parking, but its that 45th Street should not have on-street parking as it's too narrow and backs up.

It's typical NIMBYism to try and prevent others from living in the same great area. This lot is surrounded on 3 sides by medium-dense multi-family housing constructed in the past couple years. We need to stop adding red tape to residential construction.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm The main issue in this area is not street parking, but its that 45th Street should not have on-street parking as it's too narrow and backs up.

It's typical NIMBYism to try and prevent others from living in the same great area. This lot is surrounded on 3 sides by medium-dense multi-family housing constructed in the past couple years. We need to stop adding red tape to residential construction.
And almost all of the opposition to this is coming from multifamily! The 48 unit Brentwood condo association is VERY against this 16 unit project
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:04 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm The main issue in this area is not street parking, but its that 45th Street should not have on-street parking as it's too narrow and backs up.

And almost all of the opposition to this is coming from multifamily! The 48 unit Brentwood condo association is VERY against this 16 unit project
Which is extremely ironic given their multifamily housing, AND the fact that this development replacing a surface lot would great enhance the condo's property value.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish we had an eloquent speaker who would attend these meetings, and after the selfish NIMBYs do their testimony, this person would get up and point out how the City doesn't have enough money for things because it's not dense enough, and that the previous speakers are all selfish assholes who once they got their multi-family apartment want to keep others from doing so.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:13 pm I wish we had an eloquent speaker who would attend these meetings, and after the selfish NIMBYs do their testimony, this person would get up and point out how the City doesn't have enough money for things because it's not dense enough, and that the previous speakers are all selfish assholes who once they got their multi-family apartment want to keep others from doing so.
I've met people that would be fantastic at this and get it. Unfortunately they don't want to be the one person out there speaking or don't want to piss people off by being the contrarian in the room.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:58 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:13 pm I wish we had an eloquent speaker who would attend these meetings, and after the selfish NIMBYs do their testimony, this person would get up and point out how the City doesn't have enough money for things because it's not dense enough, and that the previous speakers are all selfish assholes who once they got their multi-family apartment want to keep others from doing so.
I've met people that would be fantastic at this and get it. Unfortunately they don't want to be the one person out there speaking or don't want to piss people off by being the contrarian in the room.
Classic KC. If/when I move back I’ll do it heavily, but I may not take the “eloquent” approach. ha
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

bspecht wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:41 am
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm
bspecht wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:21 pm 4511 Summit St, 16 units, replacing two empty lots and two SF lots.

This is becoming a saga. Large NIMBY turn out today at NPD... mostly due to parking... from the large building across the street. Committee members completely crumbled to them, given a hold to 3/20. KC needs people actively supporting the project against them.
https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... s=&Search=
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments

Didn't know this was happening. Remind me again - who do we write letters of support to? City Council? Specific city officials?

Plaza Westport Neighborhood board just came out against the rezoning/project, saying it should only be 9 units.

Send an email in support before tomorrow's NPD meeting! Example:
SUBJECT: Supporting Ordinance 240217, rezoning 4511 Summit St
TO: Public.Testimony@kcmo.org
CC: Eric.Bunch@kcmo.org, Melissa.Patterson-Hazley@kcmo.org, Nathan.Willett@kcmo.org, Ryana.Parks-Shaw@kcmo.org, Crispin.Rea@kcmo.org, Andrea.Bough@kcmo.org, Johnathan.Duncan@kcmo.org

I would like to state my support for the rezoning and development of 4511-4521 Summit St.

The development will provide critical new units to our constrained housing supply at similar density to surrounding projects.

Kansas City must build more housing. Please follow the recommendations of Staff & CPC.

Name, Address
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

What a beautiful rendering. Absolutely no reason it should only be 9 units.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Why only 9?
How do you arrive at 9?
This is 16 units in what is right now the densest residential area of the city. How is this even a discussion?
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

My understanding is that the owner (Block?) wants to rezone from R-1.5 to R-0.75. Under R-1.5, you can built 9 units by right (1,500 SF minimum lot size per unit). Under R-0.75, you can build 18 units by right (750 SF minimum lot size). This proposed project is 16 units, which would be possible with R-0.75 zoning. The Dorset next door to the south is R-0.75 which is why in part city staff supports the rezoning request.

Minimum lot sizes are a terrible way to regulate density and should be abolished.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Happy to see that this unanimously passed council March 21st