STL MLS proposal resurrection

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: STL MLS proposal resurrection

Post by StL_Dan »

Gorgeous.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

From St. Louis paper today.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

we need
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The latest update (from me today).

Video fly around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D138eHgH-8c
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

These are fantastic. Thanks, Chris!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This has to make KC people jealous as fuck. KC has an nice soccer stadium but the location is just horrid.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

What makes me jealous as fuck is that SL has major business leaders with deep pockets that aren’t urbaniphobes and want to invest downtown.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

missingkc wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:42 am What makes me jealous as fuck is that SL has major business leaders with deep pockets that aren’t urbaniphobes and want to invest downtown.
Interesting comment.

Examples from both sides?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

missingkc wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:42 am What makes me jealous as fuck is that SL has major business leaders with deep pockets that aren’t urbaniphobes and want to invest downtown.
In St Louis you still have contributions from the Busch Family, Taylor Family, Rex Sinquefield and a few other people but I think the key is that they all kind of still maintain some kind of presence and still live in St Louis.

In KC it seems to be the opposite. I don't even think the Garmin folks live here anymore but its not like they did much in terms of philanthropy, Cerner people want nothing to do with downtown, Black and Veatch is anti downtown, Sprint is gone, Kemper's seem to be non-existent in the city these days.
Even though our business leaders don't contribute much anymore they still contributed to make an amazing arts scene, i think i would rather have great arts facilities than a soccer stadium
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^With KC often on the losing side of acquisitions, likely won't get any better with big ticket philanthropy. STL has lost many too but several more F500 companies.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I wish some people would just take a good read about the history of how Sporting Park came to be with the decade anniversary of the opening coming tomorrow. The location is what it is, there is an absolute zero change 10 years ago that they could have gotten anything downtown. Zero chance, they went where they had to go & they're going to rectify that in the near future.

Sure, I'd love some billionaires throwing some money around for a stadium but I'd also rather never have billionaires involved ever again.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:27 pm I wish some people would just take a good read about the history of how Sporting Park came to be with the decade anniversary of the opening coming tomorrow. The location is what it is, there is an absolute zero change 10 years ago that they could have gotten anything downtown. Zero chance, they went where they had to go & they're going to rectify that in the near future.

Sure, I'd love some billionaires throwing some money around for a stadium but I'd also rather never have billionaires involved ever again.
I seem to remember the riverfront had been at play before switching to Bannister and then KCK.

Outside of what forum members "want", I don't there is any that shows they want to or have plans to move
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

One of the things I love about KC, downtown in particular, is it’s changes in elevation that lend to interesting structures, landscaping and views of the city amd surrounding areas.

This picture of dt StL reminds me just how flat that area is in contrast to KC.

In KC, this picture could be taken from the Liberty Memorial platform. In StL, this picture has to be taken from a drone or helicopter. Yawn.

https://flic.kr/p/2m3PzJw
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Drone updates from today...
Video fly around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxrftO-QsM

Crane for the 1900 Block Parking Garage is up too.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Location is killer. Sporting Park could have had as good of a skyline backdrop, but instead we all get to drive 30 minutes out to a cow pasture so they could get STAR bonds.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Nice drone pix (underlines my earlier point). Nonetheless, thanks for posting.

It’s unfortunate fans sitting anywhere inside the stadium won’t apparently have much of a look at the dt skyline.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 pm Location is killer. Sporting Park could have had as good of a skyline backdrop, but instead we all get to drive 30 minutes out to a cow pasture so they could get STAR bonds.
But HEY we're supposed to be mad that Cerner's mindset is being emptied out of the city now and replaced by coastals.

I think SKC is gonna move at some point, especially since the KC Current are going to the riverfront. Basically they're gonna see it blow up and have success, and then the Royals, and then they're gonna realize they need to get in on the action.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 pm Location is killer. Sporting Park could have had as good of a skyline backdrop, but instead we all get to drive 30 minutes out to a cow pasture so they could get STAR bonds.
Bannister doesn’t have much of a downtown view
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:47 am
But HEY we're supposed to be mad that Cerner's mindset is being emptied out of the city now and replaced by coastals.

I think SKC is gonna move at some point, especially since the KC Current are going to the riverfront. Basically they're gonna see it blow up and have success, and then the Royals, and then they're gonna realize they need to get in on the action.
SKC has no current plans. Maybe in 20 years
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:28 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:47 am

SKC has no current plans. Maybe in 20 years
Yeah, it's not current. They'll be the last to go downtown, but I think they'll go eventually.