STL MLS proposal resurrection

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: STL MLS proposal resurrection

Post by shinatoo »

I true St. Louis fashion they should name it one thing, change the name, then continue to refer to it by the old name.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Saint Louis T-Ravs has been at the top of my "fun list" for a while now.

I'm still in love with "Soccer City (SC) St. Louis" or "St. Louis Soccer City (SC)". Either way is cool.

I also have a forever crush on the name "St. Louis Steamers" and the accompanying logo.Gorgeous.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

At this point, if you go Steamers, you're just letting Cleveland off the hook and forever tying your franchise to a sex act.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Lol...I don’t even know what that means, but, I’ll take your word for it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:34 am At this point, if you go Steamers, you're just letting Cleveland off the hook and forever tying your franchise to a sex act.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

^^ "We're number one........we're number one......."

- Dave Stewart

lol
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

In our defense, "Wiz" is only a sex act for some people
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The new stadium in St Louis will be nice, but the stadium in KC is just in a terrible terrible terrible location. I drove out there the last time I was in KC to check out all the new developments and it's just god awful out there. The drive out there is bad (it feels like you literally leave the metro), the area around the stadium is bad. The area has more of a rural feel to it than even a suburban feel. KC really missed an opportunity to put that stadium anywhere but out there. It's a nice stadium, but the location is just terrible. I just cringe every time I see people on social media etc talking about moving the NFL or MLB stadium out there. At least the sports complex is sort of in the city and not far from downtown.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:30 pm
WSPanic wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm Great. STL has a team for 5 minutes and they're already telling us how wrong our city is doing it. Best fans in soccer? I kid, I kid.

Looking forward to a new stadium in downtown STL. Won''t hold my breath for Sporting ownership to commit to downtown kc. Based on my experience with baseball, now that the stadium is in the 'burbs, a majority of people would actually bitch if it moved downtown. We don't do "change" here smoothly.
I had a chance to speak with Sporting Ownership (Illig) about this. The main reason they moved the stadium to KCK was due to the Kansas STAR Bonds. The soccer itself is a money loosing/break even venture. It's the private events (many of which are Cerner events) that keep the lights on and allow for a small profit. Sporting KC will always need a Cerner office nearby to support the venture via private events.
This is not true. The subsidy of course, but the rest no... MLS owners acquire part of SUM as part of their buy in and it's quite lucrative. They separate the books to pretend to be poor, which is a story as old as time in American sports.

And yes, they have heavily subsidized stadiums they can then use for events.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Updated MLS Renderings Came Out Tonight...

The Stadium will be North of MArket, be usable year-round and will have a modern design. The cost is $250 Million.

Coverage...

Post Dispatch: https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/met ... 30bb4.html
CityScene STL: https://www.cityscene-stl.com/post/new- ... west-plans

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

ha...had to come to a kc site to see more renderings.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

if you guys are familiar with downtown west, the stadium and associated practice fields are going to be filling the absolute worst black hole in downtown. i don't know if there is an equivalent in kc..half abandoned freeway stub and run down parking lots...the feel of the area immediately west/northwest of union station could not be any worse short of straight up abandoned rubble.

static.wixstatic.com
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

for some background....this will demo/replace the only built section of the awful I-755 proposal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Route_755
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't like the roof, but everything else looks really nice. Excited to see this get built.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i thought about it, and i think i like that they resisted the temptation to "angle it all up," it's sort of reminiscent of "utopian" (or dystopian) mcm civic architecture. also really like that the sides are open, even though they are going to be mostly dead most of the year, instead of fortress-y.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

interesting to watch the progression of the various versions from 00s spaceblobs and shards to sort of like neo mcm or something. the end result looks more "mature" to me in a way modern architecture is supposed to look (in my opinion) in a serious city, instead of a gimmick.

mediad.publicbroadcasting.net

stltoday.com

media.bizj.us

live.staticflickr.com
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's a personal preference, and there is no accounting for taste.

I prefer a little more design flair in them. It's for sure interesting to see the designs of soccer stadiums evolve because we've seen so many of them built recently.

I would like stadiums to evolve to be more common areas that include public park area and bars so they can be used when not in use, but we haven't seen that transition yet.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:26 pm It's a personal preference, and there is no accounting for taste.

I prefer a little more design flair in them. It's for sure interesting to see the designs of soccer stadiums evolve because we've seen so many of them built recently.

I would like stadiums to evolve to be more common areas that include public park area and bars so they can be used when not in use, but we haven't seen that transition yet.
in this case there is a bar directly across the street (south) and a park also directly across the street (east) but i 100% hear what you are saying... an elevated sort of roof-top public space/bar would be nice. appears to have an events space or events space capable area in the rendering but most stadia have this sort of private space. better mixed use capability within the structure seems like a no-brainer...
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It seems a little odd to me that they are putting the practice fields right there. I guess it would be nice for the team, but it seems like a waste of space - something that would be better suited in a more suburban area.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:24 pm It seems a little odd to me that they are putting the practice fields right there. I guess it would be nice for the team, but it seems like a waste of space - something that would be better suited in a more suburban area.
If we had any competent leadership at the time, this is what should have been done in KC. Downtown stadium on the Missouri side, training and youth complex on the Kansas side. Everyone wins.

Alas...