Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 pm We have to keep building what is selling downtown. If that's residential right now, then we build residential. We're not going to save downtown hoping for commercial. When commercial comes we will still have plenty of room for it. We have an abundance of space, as long as it's urban, build it.
Correct. Especially since we could get a boom from WFA.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:38 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:17 pm I don't care how young and cool it is eventually you are going to want to live closer to where you work...
Or, you want to work closer to where you live, which is how Johnson County became Johnson County. Build housing, the jobs will follow.
downtown has added like 20K residences in the last 5 years. I agree keep building great places to build the residency. But really need to get that same wow factor with some new businesses in the area as well.

Got to pursue both at this stage in the game
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

More like 12-15k in 10 years. Need to build more residential and office
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:17 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:38 pm Can we just scrap this and put up residential then? We have like every young person in KC wanting to live in the urban core and yet we keep worrying about office spots. I'm sick of hearing about "the employee is in JoCo" ok well the rapidly growing young urban people are centered in KCMO so how about we just build more residential then. Press our advantages. I can't stand this empty parcel.
Then you have a bunch of ppl living downtown who work in the suburbs. I don't care how young and cool it is eventually you are going to want to live closer to where you work because you get sick an tired of the commute etc.
Young people grow up to be managers and business owners. If they never taste downtown life they will never appreciate downtown life.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Geo tech drilling this week
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 am Geo tech drilling this week
What are they doing on this site?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Drury Inn making a comeback? lol
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Sometimes this can be a standard thing to help facilitate development. I'd be surprised if anything really comes of this site. We're still waiting on Copaken to do 13th and Grand. Unless they'll link that with this site and push for a mixed-use development (hopefully mostly residential).
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Leaving these sites vacant should be criminal
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Here we go!

"Hunt Midwest, Copaken Brooks partner on redeveloping former KCPS HQ in Downtown"

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ation.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:13 pm Here we go!

"Hunt Midwest, Copaken Brooks partner on redeveloping former KCPS HQ in Downtown"

Although specific plans have not been presented...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

"The city really wants to see density and wants to see cranes in the air, but not just one- or two-story buildings," Copaken said. "They want to see 30-story buildings. Whether this (at 12th and McGee) is 30, I have no idea, but I think we would plan something that has a lot of density."

Sounds like they are at least thinking a relatively large development.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I would hope KCPS would be ok incentivizing their old property that is now a weed filled lot.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think they're further along than they're making it seem. They know what they want to do and likely have an architect working on things. Geotechnical drilling about 2.5 months ago was no coincidence.

Looking back at the Reverb thread, and I know that's not the best example, but it was only 4 days from when Dave first posted about the planned project till we saw a rendering. I imagine it'll be late this year that we see a site plan or rendering for this site - whether by press release or, somehow, a leak.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:11 pm I would hope KCPS would be ok incentivizing their old property that is now a weed filled lot.
All it takes is the developer meeting with them in advance and addressing their concerns. Why everyone doesn't follow the path of least resistance is beyond me.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kboish wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:11 pm I would hope KCPS would be ok incentivizing their old property that is now a weed filled lot.
Seems they’ve already agreed to a certain level of incentives?
When CB 1211 McGee LLC bought the 12th and McGee site, KCPS agreed to support a property tax abatement for a future project of no longer than 15 years — as much as 75% between years one and 10, and 37.5% from years 11 to 15. That support hinges on the project involving one or more mixed-use multistory buildings and support from a "but for" analysis by the Economic Development Corp. of Kansas City.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:06 pm
All it takes is the developer meeting with them in advance and addressing their concerns. Why everyone doesn't follow the path of least resistance is beyond me.
Because their proposed solution isn’t financial feasible for most developers
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:13 pm Here we go!

This was dropped by a national developer after projects started getting rejected for incentives. Good to see someone pick it back up
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Wait, if Copaken Brooks can't get anything done for over a decade at 13th & Grand , a much more prolific and viable spot, why would anyone think they can get anything done on this parcel? Obviously less $$ will be spent at the old KCPS site, is that why?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^ 13th and grand is a trophy property spot. They just won’t build anything there for the hell of it. They want something that’s going to be iconic. It’s been a long time coming for that parcel, it’ll likely be several more years. Depending on the success of the KCPS site, we could get something there sooner rather than later.