Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Post by chaglang »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm
chaglang wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pmBut what if it was a mixed use jail with a city target and a grocery store on the ground floor?
This is acceptable
You are True Urbanist, sir.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:46 pm I support the jail staying downtown, but I think the KCPS site would be better served with a higher use
But what if it was a mixed use jail with a city target and a grocery store on the ground floor?
All the best thieves would show up to try and shoplift the store with the quickest response time ever.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:02 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:46 pm I support the jail staying downtown, but I think the KCPS site would be better served with a higher use
But what if it was a mixed use jail with a city target and a grocery store on the ground floor?
All the best thieves would show up to try and shoplift the store with the quickest response time ever.
I've seen recently released folks dozens of times at bars close to the Jail asking to use the phone. I think they get some kind of pre-paid card when they are released with a small amount of money on it. They're not supposed to be able to buy alcohol, but they buy a food item and ask for cash back!

Always a bit awkward hearing one of them strike up a conversation with someone at the bar with, "Yea, I just got out of jail 10 minutes ago."
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:34 pm
flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:02 pm

I've seen recently released folks dozens of times at bars close to the Jail asking to use the phone. I think they get some kind of pre-paid card when they are released with a small amount of money on it. They're not supposed to be able to buy alcohol, but they buy a food item and ask for cash back!

Always a bit awkward hearing one of them strike up a conversation with someone at the bar with, "Yea, I just got out of jail 10 minutes ago."
Might convert cash you get booked with to cash on the prepaid card?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the downtown business and property owners have long complained about the effect of recently-released jail population on downtown businesses, and that drove county officials to consider another location for the jail.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why would we build a jail on land that is supposed to be our most valuable and active in the city?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The City Hall thread got me curious: what's taking Copaken so long to get moving on this?

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-prop ... 3th-grand/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:21 pm The City Hall thread got me curious: what's taking Copaken so long to get moving on this?

Lack of demand
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:21 pm The City Hall thread got me curious: what's taking Copaken so long to get moving on this?

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:12 pm

Lack of demand
I demand they get moving.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think this parcel will be linked to the development of the 12th and Grand parcel.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:20 pm I think this parcel will be linked to the development of the 12th and Grand parcel.
Which one is that?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Copaken-controlled parcel bounded by 12th, 13th, Grand, and McGee.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0978618 ... a=!3m1!1e3

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This spots needs infill badly. Everytime I go to the Big 12 tournament at TMobile is just stands out like a sore thumb (more so than even most surface lots) because it’s right next to such a lively district and then…boom…a giant surface lot that looks way out of place.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Yes indeed. This parcel is a huge hole in the urban landscape. And now that the old Library that was behind it is gone, it makes this part of downtown look terrible from above. The new rendering above would be a great opportunity for a mixed use project with a Target facing Grand. Here is a recent drone video that makes downtown look fantastic and then you see the 2 blocks east of Grand. The video is queued to the 2 empty blocks. But also check out the best part of the video at 5:34, KC looks outstanding in that light!

https://youtu.be/K8bA7kd_y7k?t=72
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It’s unbelievable how many blocks downtown are completely clear. But yea, this one in particular seems just so odd. I guess because its a grass lot.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Looks terrible from below too
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I'm just surprised out of all the blocks of surface lot down there, this specific one hasn't gotten developed. I mean, its right next to the Sprint Center which has been there since 2006. So, for 15 years it's been next to something active and hasn't even gotten any movement somehow.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

there has been movement behind the scenes. Various office tenants have taken a look at the site. Without a tenant, none of these office projects will happen