Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:25 am
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:32 pm More elevations from "Valley View Shops" Shoal Creek in Compass. Quiktrip is first signed tenant at SE Corner of N. Booth and 152.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments

Is that the wrong map? The one you posted is the NE corner of that intersection and there is available land on the SE corner
My bad, you are correct it's the "NE" Corner - bottom left of the map. The Andy Frozen Custard is on the other side if you are familiar with the intersection.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Nothing too exciting but a few pics from Valley View Shops. The Neighborhood behind it is building fast. Didn't want to photograph individuals' homes, but couple models are below, the completed home on the left is $1.7M and the right under construction is $2.1M.

Quiktrip was installing the gas pumps. They are getting close to done.

Sign for Fareway Meat Market is up on the site. Whataburger is going to the West of QT I believe. Scooter's coffee is just north of Quiktrip.

New bank is open across 152 "First State Bank of Shoal Creek." Used to be a restaurant that closed down and had been vacant for years.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So how does this not look exactly like southern Overland Park or Leawood? I still read on social media that the only part of metro KC to have areas like this are in JoCo from people in JoCo.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

But at least it's not getting something that's not in Johnson County yet.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

GRID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:50 pm So how does this not look exactly like southern Overland Park or Leawood? I still read on social media that the only part of metro KC to have areas like this are in JoCo from people in JoCo.
It's different, but better in some ways. 20 minute drive to Crossroads/downtown is better than most of the new-builds out there in Southern JoCo. To be in Leawood or PV in a family sized home it would probably cost way more. There are more mixed income residential areas in Northland.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:52 am
GRID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:50 pm So how does this not look exactly like southern Overland Park or Leawood? I still read on social media that the only part of metro KC to have areas like this are in JoCo from people in JoCo.
It's different, but better in some ways. 20 minute drive to Crossroads/downtown is better than most of the new-builds out there in Southern JoCo. To be in Leawood or PV in a family sized home it would probably cost way more. There are more mixed income residential areas in Northland.
Yeah, I like the Northand's more diverse demographics. The problem up there still seems to be white collar jobs. JoCo seems to have 90% of the metro's suburban office space. But if more companies allow more WFH, then then that might really help the Northland since many find it a better value and better location (proximity to KCI, Downtown, Stadiums etc) than JoCo.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

You can get into a four bedroom for under a million in Prairie Village with some money left over to bring it up to date quite easily.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:59 am
You can get into a four bedroom for under a million in Prairie Village with some money left over to bring it up to date quite easily.
Of course, absolutely in that price range will get you a nice brand new build in PV or really anywhere in OP. Is all I am saying is that there is a larger supply of $200-300k homes in the Northland in older neighborhoods mostly along the North Oak corridor that may be older builds but still nice. Both of those models posted back out to a golf course as well which isn't cheap and the Owen Homes one that is finished is fully decked out with high end everything.

There are 4-5bdr homes in the 400-500k range that are either updated or need a few things updated. Prarie Village is objectively "nicer" and more centrally located than Northland by all means, but a lot of the homes there are either 1 car garage ranches or teardowns in the 900-$1m range. For what I paid for our new build a few years ago (wife's call on that one, not mine) we'd have to live out in Bonner Springs if we wanted to live in JoCo. I also like how it seems like in the Northland more homes have walk out basements to greenway/woodland, something I really wanted that I think is hard to find out in KS. In this crazy housing market, if you are a young family with a tighter budget, imho your options are best in the Northland or the old Northeast. I know that's a left field pick and you get KC schools, but there are some great affordable flips or historic homes in that area if you are into that kind of thing (obviously I am - wife not so much LoL).

But like GRID said, I now also have to occasionally drive to JoCo now that my job is over there which is not a fun 35 minutes but at least it's only occasionally.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Northland has good bang for your buck on housing, very good public schools and easy access to any part of the Metro. Heck even from that area along 152 you can see the skyline of downtown which means really nothing but perhaps invoking a closeness to the city as opposed to being fully submerged into the burbs. PV is great & I love that people will take an older home & completely redo it & clans it. Would love to see more of that remodeling going on up here as well.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Yeah Northtown is good bang for buck. I was really just commenting on the comparison to the home specifically posted. Didn't realize they were right on a golf course and obviously a big difference between custom new construction and a sensible renovation of a PV home. Having grown up in JoCo mostly and had relatives in Independence and Lee Summit, the Northland is like a black hole in my KC knowledge. Been trying to get into the residential real estate game in the last few months and I've had a lot of Northland leads but the lack of a grid and poor connectivity of suface streets has really hampered my organic exploration of the Northland. I think a connected street grid is a big part of JoCo's success and think that is something that really needs to be considered as the Northland becomes poised for even more growth.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm Yeah Northtown is good bang for buck. I was really just commenting on the comparison to the home specifically posted. Didn't realize they were right on a golf course and obviously a big difference between custom new construction and a sensible renovation of a PV home. Having grown up in JoCo mostly and had relatives in Independence and Lee Summit, the Northland is like a black hole in my KC knowledge. Been trying to get into the residential real estate game in the last few months and I've had a lot of Northland leads but the lack of a grid and poor connectivity of suface streets has really hampered my organic exploration of the Northland. I think a connected street grid is a big part of JoCo's success and think that is something that really needs to be considered as the Northland becomes poised for even more growth.
I would say that JoCo's success may be tied to the street grid as far as sfh construction, but a lot of it is white collar job growth in that area and good schools. Northland doesn't have quite the grid largely becuase it was annexed later on by KC and it is a collection of different municipalities. Liberty, Gladstone, Riverside, Parkville, Platte City, NKC, KCMO Proper. I don't think it's just you, the market has been crazy and inventory is tight.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:34 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm Yeah Northtown is good bang for buck. I was really just commenting on the comparison to the home specifically posted. Didn't realize they were right on a golf course and obviously a big difference between custom new construction and a sensible renovation of a PV home. Having grown up in JoCo mostly and had relatives in Independence and Lee Summit, the Northland is like a black hole in my KC knowledge. Been trying to get into the residential real estate game in the last few months and I've had a lot of Northland leads but the lack of a grid and poor connectivity of suface streets has really hampered my organic exploration of the Northland. I think a connected street grid is a big part of JoCo's success and think that is something that really needs to be considered as the Northland becomes poised for even more growth.
I would say that JoCo's success may be tied to the street grid as far as sfh construction, but a lot of it is white collar job growth in that area and good schools. Northland doesn't have quite the grid largely becuase it was annexed later on by KC and it is a collection of different municipalities. Liberty, Gladstone, Riverside, Parkville, Platte City, NKC, KCMO Proper. I don't think it's just you, the market has been crazy and inventory is tight.
Yeah. No doubt a hot market and only going to get hotter. Like I said a lot of my leads are up there and I'm trying to fill in my knowledge but it's really not an easy area to learn and I often find myself lost or confused if not using GPS.
Slobberknockers
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Slobberknockers »

The traffic at this intersection with Andy's, Whataburger, QT, Meshuggahbagels, a dental building plus a coffee shop plus whatever else is going to suck.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:34 pm
The Northland doesn't have a grid mostly due to topography. JoCo was farmland before it was suburbia. It was flat with gridded out farm roads every mile that were very easy to simply widen as farms turned to subdivisions. It's also a major reason for JoCo's initial wave of growth vs the Northland because it was the path of least resistance from KCMO's urban core. Infrastructure in JoCo was very easy to improve and build around vs the more rugged Northland which needed entire new street right of ways, more costly bridges etc.

It's still that way today way out in south JoCo. JoCo west of 435 is much more like the Northland due to topography, so major streets had to be built not just widened. That's why streets like Prairie Star Parkway look more like Tiffany Springs Parkway than 135th Street. The Northland growth didn't take off till JoCo was built out past 119th Street and the path of least resistance for suburban growth was getting too far from the core of the metro making the Northland more viable despite its topography and lack of existing roads..

KCMO is finally building out the Northland's regional arterial system now that growth is imminent. But it will never look like South JoCo, it will look more like western JoCo.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Scooters is going in across from the JC Penny on Flintlock. STAR Development sub-divided the lot and are doing a spec-suite retail strip mall building.

Starbucks in Valley View is almost done.

Fareway has metal frame completed.

The Preserve neighborhood is pretty well filled out on golf course facing lots. I won't post people's houses, but there are some really nice ones in there. Pools, indoor basketball courts, etc. Range about $1m - $2.5m.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Anyone hear anything about Q39 going in those Valley View Shoppes in this neighborhood? I feel like that's the rumor that won't die, but someone told me adamantly this weekend that they heard it's coming. I'm really hoping for a somewhat upscale/unique restaurant in this development. I don't know why it's been so difficult to attract one. The area is booming and residents are dying to have something nice close to home.
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

KCFan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:19 pm Anyone hear anything about Q39 going in those Valley View Shoppes in this neighborhood? I feel like that's the rumor that won't die, but someone told me adamantly this weekend that they heard it's coming. I'm really hoping for a somewhat upscale/unique restaurant in this development. I don't know why it's been so difficult to attract one. The area is booming and residents are dying to have something nice close to home.
It would be great location for one. Good barbecue in the northland is scarce. Especially near Liberty.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

w00lyb00ger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:01 pm
KCFan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:19 pm Anyone hear anything about Q39 going in those Valley View Shoppes in this neighborhood? I feel like that's the rumor that won't die, but someone told me adamantly this weekend that they heard it's coming. I'm really hoping for a somewhat upscale/unique restaurant in this development. I don't know why it's been so difficult to attract one. The area is booming and residents are dying to have something nice close to home.
It would be great location for one. Good barbecue in the northland is scarce. Especially near Liberty.
It's just bizarre. Out of the signature barbecue brands in the metro, not a single one has a Northland location despite 350,000 people - in a city known for barbecue. While I'm glad Char Bar is coming north, it's so far west that it's faster to drive to the Westport one from Liberty. I won't be surprised if some of those places to the west don't make it because the large majority of population in the Northland is in Clay County. In my opinion, it's just one of the reasons Zona Rosa struggles so much.
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

KCFan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am
It's just bizarre. Out of the signature barbecue brands in the metro, not a single one has a Northland location despite 350,000 people - in a city known for barbecue. While I'm glad Char Bar is coming north, it's so far west that it's faster to drive to the Westport one from Liberty. I won't be surprised if some of those places to the west don't make it because the large majority of population in the Northland is in Clay County. In my opinion, it's just one of the reasons Zona Rosa struggles so much.
I agree. Makes no sense to me either why they would keep opening barbecue joints in areas where the competition is fierce while ignoring parts of the city where that isn’t the case.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

w00lyb00ger wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:26 pm
KCFan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am

I agree. Makes no sense to me either why they would keep opening barbecue joints in areas where the competition is fierce while ignoring parts of the city where that isn’t the case.
Yes, I also heard the same rumor in the same location. I think Rob McGee's passing may have delayed any announcement, but I think it makes sense to open it there and it would do very well. Will keep digging into it.