NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: NFL Draft

Post by johnmatrix »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:16 pm What’s there to do at TSC?? You think those 600k in Nashville sat there and watched Miami draft in the 6th round on day 2 with excitement?
Both stadiums could hold plenty of people. You could get big name artists to perform, theres several bars, suites, and plenty of space to provide other entertainment as well.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

johnmatrix wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:56 pm Both stadiums could hold plenty of people. You could get big name artists to perform, theres several bars, suites, and plenty of space to provide other entertainment as well.
I’m old and even I don’t find that to sound cool at all. Are you older than me?? No restaurants, no bars besides vendor lines, not close to any hotels. You’re joking, right?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Arrowhead? Speedway? Downtown area? WW1 area?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Kansas City is the preferred host of the 2023 NFL Draft. Official announcement coming soon.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 pm Kansas City is the preferred host of the 2023 NFL Draft. Official announcement coming soon.
Officially awarded. Any chance this helps push the streetcar extension forward? Would be really hard to have in place by 2023 though.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Wed May 22, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Union Station is what I've heard
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ansas-city
The 2023 draft in Kansas City will involve the "iconic area around Union Station and the National World War I Museum and Memorial."
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Big chiefs flag going up in US today. May be related?

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Streetcar needs to go to Cass/Johnson County and to the Airport and so on. The Draft would work in Orlando to.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Some interesting stats on the draft, wonder if we can top it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Titans/statu ... gr%5Etweet
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

33% flew in of 600,000? That's impressive if true but sounds like some twisting of stats.

Last edited by earthling on Thu May 23, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'm not a sports fan and I don't understand this whole thing. So, hundreds of thousands of football fans are so familiar with draftees - college players, I assume - that they travel however far and stand in a street so they can cheer when a certain draftee is selected (or whatever) by a pro football team?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Yup.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 pm I'm not a sports fan and I don't understand this whole thing. So, hundreds of thousands of football fans are so familiar with draftees - college players, I assume - that they travel however far and stand in a street so they can cheer when a certain draftee is selected (or whatever) by a pro football team?
It's more about getting together with fellow football fans, supporting your team as they pick draftees you hope will lead them to a Super Bowl, and getting drunk. Looking at the Nashville stats, they mainly drew regional visitors.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm It's more about getting together with fellow football fans, supporting your team as they pick draftees you hope will lead them to a Super Bowl, and getting drunk. Looking at the Nashville stats, they mainly drew regional visitors.
I think Nashville was so successful because fans could watch a little of the event, enter a bar or restaurant in the district when their team wasn’t drafting and mingle with drinks between. This is what worries me a bit about Union Station. There is no direct connection to entertainment spaces with a district format. I do think our stage and draft ceremony parts will be amazing inside the building. I wonder if there is a way better connect foot traffic between US and DT. Perhaps, they could close Main to all but pedestrian and streetcar traffic and allow open carry.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:35 pm Big chiefs flag going up in US today. May be related?

Yes. The chiefs are holding an event there this morning.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Who wants to rent my condo while I GTFO?
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Honestly, having it at Union Station is KC lame, I hope they change their minds. Block off Grand Street, between Truman and 10th Street or so and set up beer/food vendors in the empty lots. You have PnL right there that would benefit greatly. Set up some big screen tvs/large tents and put an artificial football field on Grand Street including goal posts. Make it a fun environment. What are people going to do at Union Station? Jeez this city is lame sometime.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:06 pm Honestly, having it at Union Station is KC lame, I hope they change their minds. Block off Grand Street, between Truman and 10th Street or so and set up beer/food vendors in the empty lots. You have PnL right there that would benefit greatly. Set up some big screen tvs/large tents and put an artificial football field on Grand Street including goal posts. Make it a fun environment. What are people going to do at Union Station? Jeez this city is lame sometime.
Couldn't agree more. Crown Center food/beverage establishments can't handle that kind of crowd. We'll just have to set up vendors for food/drink - which means less space for people and probably less diversity WRT food/drink offerings. I'd much rather see every bar/restaurant from 8th St to Truman filled up. I hope they prove me wrong.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The decision seems to be based on space and the large lawn between US/Memorial provides that, which worked out find for Royals World Series party. The free streetcar ties everything together anyway so it will be one contiguous street party (or large pockets anyway) from US to RM. Direct the 'tourists and families' to US and let the adventurous find the more interesting side street parties. Large convention parties work this way too - the more obscure ones are away from the 'homogenized/touristy' center. Corporate sponsors will also likely setup their own parties all over downtown.

The City/Convention Bureau should encourage corporate sponsors to setup several street parties along streetcar line, like a Nike party on Delaware, Gatorade party in City Market Sq, Under Armour on 18th, a children's brand (Disney tie to ESPN?) in Crown Center square, etc. And maybe shuttles to West Bottoms, which could host more activities. Would help keep everyone dispersed.