NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

So, this looks like the Grand Hall will hold the green room. I really, really like that plan. So, you'll have the draftees waiting in the green room to have their name called. When they are selected they will walk through the Grand hall, through the entrance and to the outside. That will be a great, dramatic view of Union Station every time someone is selected.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

wow, that sounds really cool.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is great. So much better than having it at Arrowhead. I hope that is never a serious option.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:34 pm So, this looks like the Grand Hall will hold the green room. I really, really like that plan. So, you'll have the draftees waiting in the green room to have their name called. When they are selected they will walk through the Grand hall, through the entrance and to the outside. That will be a great, dramatic view of Union Station every time someone is selected.
The Grand Hall won't look much like itself by the time this event takes place. It will likely be broken up into dozens of smaller rooms with pipe and drape, trussing etc.

The true challenge for the NFL production team is how they treat the stage, specifically the upstage side closest to Union Station. Typically, that area is full of LED video screens that would block the view of US. Will be fun to see if they decide to leave the upstage side open and instead use the building as the backdrop. I'm willing to bet they won't do this and the only real love Union Station will get will be overhead shots. They're going to create a massive covered structure that paying guests will be under. That alone will eat up and good views of the building from the lawn area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:42 pm They're going to create a massive covered structure that paying guests will be under. That alone will eat up and good views of the building from the lawn area.
That’s a huge mistake. Don’t let them do that. Have the east side in front of the streetcar stop be the covered VIP area with food and meet and greet. Would have good concrete underneath and would be just as close.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Does anyone know if they’re going to allow tailgating in PVP as part of the NFL draft? Would be a good representation of the city to have some smoke in the air during the event.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I don't know about tailgating in the rest of PVP, but not on the grounds enclosed for the event. BBQ will be available at vendors on the grounds. You will be only allowed the same like going into the stadium. The entire perimeter from US to the south end of the mall drive gates will be fenced. From Main to Kessler, a hardened security zone with TSA type screening at the gates. The stage in front of US will be a gap stage so that the Beaux Art facade will be visible as the background. This will be more this city's event visually than has been done at previous draft cities.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NFL Draft Weekend Hotel Cost Per Night:

Thur to Saturday stay

Plaza Spring Hill Suites: $1024
Ambassador: $994
Plaza Sheraton: $807
Plaza Marriott: $720
Hampton Inn Crossroads: $637
Raphael: $601
Crowne Plaza: $470
Troost La Quinta: $377
Hotel 21C: $356

Not Available

Fontaine: Not Available
Westin Crown Center: Not Available
Sheraton Crown Center: Not Available
Crossroads Hotel: Not Available
Loews: Not Available
Courtyard Marriott Duel Flag:Not Available
Hotel President (Wed Night has soom rooms left for $600)
Convention Marriott: Not Available
Phillips: Not Available
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Very strange prices there
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:07 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:42 pm They're going to create a massive covered structure that paying guests will be under. That alone will eat up and good views of the building from the lawn area.
That’s a huge mistake. Don’t let them do that. Have the east side in front of the streetcar stop be the covered VIP area with food and meet and greet. Would have good concrete underneath and would be just as close.
The stage won't block views of Union Station -- they've worked very hard to showcase both the interior and exterior for the event. And the pipe/drapes (if they're used) will likely be much lower just as they were in Vegas last year. This allows prospects to interact with others in the room instead of simply closing them off. This will also allow for expansive views of the interior hall as well.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am The stage won't block views of Union Station -- they've worked very hard to showcase both the interior and exterior for the event. And the pipe/drapes (if they're used) will likely be much lower just as they were in Vegas last year. This allows prospects to interact with others in the room instead of simply closing them off. This will also allow for expansive views of the interior hall as well.
The "patio space" where the streetcar stop is would do all of that as well with direct access to the station. Tent up that whole area.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am
The stage won't block views of Union Station -- they've worked very hard to showcase both the interior and exterior for the event. And the pipe/drapes (if they're used) will likely be much lower just as they were in Vegas last year. This allows prospects to interact with others in the room instead of simply closing them off. This will also allow for expansive views of the interior hall as well.
I think one of us is getting bad information. My contact within the NFL is saying this will be cut and paste to the Draft in Philly which was located at the historic philly museum of art. Yes, you could see the structure but it was heavily obscured by LED screens, which will be the case again for this one at Union Station. I'm not saying it will be completely blocked, but it won't be on this grand display as the main or priority backdrop.

As for the Grand Hall, sure, they could leave it wide open and utilize it as one big space. In that case, they'd just dress it up with lighting. They'll find other creative ways to show off Union Station and the city, it's just not going to be blatantly obvious it's being held at Union Station at all times during the broadcast.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:54 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am
I think one of us is getting bad information. My contact within the NFL is saying this will be cut and paste to the Draft in Philly which was located at the historic philly museum of art. Yes, you could see the structure but it was heavily obscured by LED screens, which will be the case again for this one at Union Station. I'm not saying it will be completely blocked, but it won't be on this grand display as the main or priority backdrop.

As for the Grand Hall, sure, they could leave it wide open and utilize it as one big space. In that case, they'd just dress it up with lighting. They'll find other creative ways to show off Union Station and the city, it's just not going to be blatantly obvious it's being held at Union Station at all times during the broadcast.
Yeah, it's certainly not a cut/paste replication of Philly's 2017 event. One of a few significant differences compared to the set-up in Philly is the fact the stage in KC will be much closer to the venue itself -- much different than in 2017 simply because they had to push the stage out quite a distance away from the museum entrance because of all the steps in front. Another key difference -- really from any other past host -- is the elevation change for spectators in front of the venue. Philly's was completely flat stretched down the BFP.

The internal renderings show how this will be accomplished. I think everyone will be really impressed with the setup and execution.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The guy locally in charge of this spoke at the business committee meeting at City Hall and stressed that this event was not something cut and paste that the NFL was going to drop in. It would be Kansas City's event and that the stage will be open at back to showcase US. Is he lying to the Mayor and council?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:23 pm The guy locally in charge of this spoke at the business committee meeting at City Hall and stressed that this event was not something cut and paste that the NFL was going to drop in. It would be Kansas City's event and that the stage will be open at back to showcase US. Is he lying to the Mayor and council?
Cut and paste is a term used in the event production world that doesn't mean 100% of something will be re-used but it means the basic concept, infrastructure and design will be similar. Obviously no two events are the same.

The NFL isn't building brand new, massive structures for each city this goes to. They're limited in what's available and the draft theatre is essentially the same as it was in Philly according to the drawings.

Good points above about Philly. They actually recreated the Museum columns using foam to trick the audience into thinking the stage was much closer than it actually was. The stage will be open at the back here in KC but it won't be a completely clear view of Union Station. Thinking back to the Royals WS celebration at US. The building was the entire backdrop with the exception of a smaller LED screen flown upstage.

I know the NFL will do their best. They have one of the top event teams in the world, but tempering expectations a bit here for those who envisioned this grand and massive Union Station presence.

I've also not seen the latest drawings that Link2 has seen. Best to trust his input over my 2nd hand speculation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've always seen the NFL draft as kind of a dumb event to go to but excited to see it in the US/LM complex setup. I think it will go off very well.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:03 am I've always seen the NFL draft as kind of a dumb event to go to but excited to see it in the US/LM complex setup. I think it will go off very well.
If could have afforded to go when I was younger, I would have. Basically a big party but no, zero interest at this point in my life. I'm a big NFL fan but I don't really care to see our Chiefs 1st round selection live in-person.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm all for a big party but the draft just seems silly. For example can't wait for WC in a couple weeks.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:40 pm I'm all for a big party but the draft just seems silly. For example can't wait for WC in a couple weeks.
It really is silly, the tv companies have turned the NFL into a year round sport that is talked about more then its played in person. After the super bowl, its talk about free agency, after free agency then its draft picks, after draft picks its work outs and after that its training camp/pre season then its regular season. Its just crazy how much a sports is talked about but the actual play makes up like 5% of the air time while MLB is talked about on ESPN/Fox 5% of the time and played 95% of the time