NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: NFL Draft

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:51 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:50 pm

So Nashville was so well received being on a city street but don’t do that? Makes no sense.

Philly did it at the Philadelphia Museum, it wasn’t good. Union station is our version of this.

Cleveland did it at the stadium, it was great, arrowhead is out version of that.

Nashville did it at the end of Broadway looking down a city street, surrounded by bars and restaurants. Was best nfl draft in NFL draft history, but let’s not do that!
P&L turns it’s back to Grand
P&L wouldn’t be involved in this and the Grand idea is just dream. Would be great and make for a awesome fan experience but too many sponsor conflicts.
I've not seen one draft that looks like a great fan experience, Nashville was one of the ones I thought "wow that looks stupid for a fan" the most. Vegas was #2, really strange how poorly the executed the draft in such a fun city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:51 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:50 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:56 pm Please, no! It can’t be Grand, between an arena and common entertainment district. We have to show something different, not something that every other major metro has. That’s why Nashville was so well received…it was different, it spoke to what the city was, it was a marketing of the city. Sure, the NFL wants more space. They don’t care about selling the city. They just want amenities. The city needs to fight this move.
So Nashville was so well received being on a city street but don’t do that? Makes no sense.

Philly did it at the Philadelphia Museum, it wasn’t good. Union station is our version of this.

Cleveland did it at the stadium, it was great, arrowhead is out version of that.

Nashville did it at the end of Broadway looking down a city street, surrounded by bars and restaurants. Was best nfl draft in NFL draft history, but let’s not do that!
P&L turns it’s back to Grand
Also Grand is not Broadway.

Do it on the Liberty Memorial driveway. Tons of space, iconic shot of downtown, easy for people to get to.

Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah it's easy decision but sounds like a physical problem. Could build the stage over Pershing and the fountain I'd think and avoid the weight problem on the Union Station grounds.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:04 pm yeah it's easy decision but sounds like a physical problem. Could build the stage over Pershing and the fountain I'd think and avoid the weight problem on the Union Station grounds.
I’d love the stage to incorporate the fountain somehow. Wouldn’t it be cool for it to light up a team’s colors as they make the pick? Take advantage of those fancy lights they just installed there
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There has got to be a better place than the stadium. Barney Allis Plaza? Crown Center Square? Washington Sq Park? Liberty Memorial south and or north lawn? Moving this to Arrowhead will ruin the event and make KC look really stupid to visitors, especially to visitors that went to Nashville's.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is already planned for the north lawn but sounds like possible issues. South lawn would be cool. It's been at multiple stadiums in other cities those cities didn't look "stupid". Nashville's honestly looked pretty bad and boring but I'm not one who has drank the Nashville koolaid.

If it does end up at Arrowhead you'll still have all the good city shots and may even have the tv broadcast talking heads put somewhere with a good view like Vegas did with the fountain. The event itself with the fans and the picks was nowhere near the fountain or strip.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The fan fest in vegas was probably over near the convention center or something. Sure, it's not on the strip, but it's accessible to the strip.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:57 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:46 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:27 pm You can take the tv shots from anywhere. Last year in Vegas was evidence of that. Where the fans were was a horrible space and secondary to the tv shots.
Contradicting statement. Vegas setup proves location is important or else your stuck with bad shots.
The location of the fans and the stage is not important. vegas proved that last year. It was in a back lot behind the strip. Right here https://goo.gl/maps/hPeBi4inmuXKr2RW7
Yes I know where it was, saw it with my eyes. A friend of mine Andy owns the company that provided the main stage. What I’m saying is the Vegas draft stage was a compromise and the jib shot panning from stage to crowd was horrible. They’ll want to avoid that if possible. Even when held indoors at a theatre, the tiered seating sections and ornate finishes of the theatre made for a great background.

The liberty memorial all up-lit in NFL draft 2023 colors would make for an amazing background.

See where I’m going here?

Vegas got the draft because they finally got football and a legitimate excuse to have it. It’s Vegas, you’ve got so much content to fill your broadcast you can compromise on the money shot a bit and make up for it by overcompensating and blowing the budget building a broadcast stage over water at The Bellagio Fountains!

KC isn’t vegas, you don’t compose the money shot.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:38 pm The fan fest in vegas was probably over near the convention center or something. Sure, it's not on the strip, but it's accessible to the strip.
Vegas was by far the most compact setup with almost everything Draft located near each other. Nashville was spread out but smartly so. Keep the beer drinking crowd on Broadway while the families enjoy all the experiences at the stadium 1/4 mile walk away.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Nashville looked like a blast to me. Historic district, big crowds mulling around having fun during every round and showed lots of life for the city. Our location needs some history and show off how we are unique. A twenty year old entertainment district or 50 year stadium doesn’t cut it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:23 pm Nashville looked like a blast to me. Historic district, big crowds mulling around having fun during every round and showed lots of life for the city. Our location needs some history and show off how we are unique. A twenty year old entertainment district or 50 year stadium doesn’t cut it.
This

P&L is better than Arrowhead but has to be behind having it at the LM or the Nelson
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Getting the NFL draft will be a cataclysmic waste if it will only be at the Arrowhead parking lot. Anywhere but that.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

City Market might would provide a nice backdrop, and Barney Allis Plaza could be great. Build some bleacher seating on the surrounding streets, program the lights on the Marriott to show each team logo. Maybe intersperse some cool video projection on the front of the Music Hall similar to what other cities are doing - San Antonio shown in link.

https://www.mainplaza.org/san-antonio-the-saga/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

BAP area isn't big enough.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

**waiting for someone to suggest the Plaza.***
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:59 am **waiting for someone to suggest the Plaza.***
“Hey guys, why don’t we just do the plaza, seems the most logical choice now” :lol:
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Kansas City is known for it's world class retail shopping and who in this country hasn't seen the plaza lighting ceremony!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

There is a very big space available at the west end now.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm so not into the nfl draft and have no idea how it works that I shouldn't be involved in this at all. Is the plaza a stupid suggestion? Could they do it art fair style and just shut it all down?

It seems like a lame area for a bunch of football fans, but I dunno?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:59 am **waiting for someone to suggest the Plaza.***
Hey guys I finally found a use for the Nordstrom lot!