NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: NFL Draft

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:13 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm Union Station might be out as the location. It can't support the desired weight required.

Let the speculation begin on next potential location.
Wow - interesting.

Have to imagine it’s Washington Square Park then right? Gorgeous views and has demonstrated the capacity to support festivals/events
Think it has to go somewhere more iconic to KC. Liberty Memorial, T-Mobile or even repurpose the Nashville style of it happening on a city street.

Arrowhead is also one of the current options but not the desired one. Easiest one for sure.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:13 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm Union Station might be out as the location. It can't support the desired weight required.

It's going to Arrowhead. Plans are already being drawn.
Plans were drawn for Union Station too. NFL events teams in town this week, so more to come.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I just hope it can still showcase the city. And keep the fans in the downtown area. Show off a cool, urban environment that goes against the boring, rural Midwest stereotype. For that reason, Arrowhead would not be my #1 choice.

WSP with the stage maybe set up on Grand would be able to accomplish this and be very close to Union Station, Crown Center and the streetcar.

Liberty Memorial would be a great location as well.

Outside of those, Frank Theis park right in front of the Nelson? Maybe the area in Penn Valley Park where the Chipotle Cultivate festival was held a few years back?

Edit: spelling
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Arrowhead isn't my favorite either. Union Station was ONLY in the mix because of that iconic camera shot with the downtown skyline in the background and lots of useable space in the park.

Liberty Memorial
Arrowhead
T-Mobile/PNL/Grand

Those are the only options on the table as far as I know.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

where is the weight requirement that US can't meet?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If union station is truly out, I'd try to make power and light and sprint work in some way. Liberty memorial after that. Arrowhead who even cares. Might as well hold it in a Nebraska furniture Mart parking lot at that point.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was held in the back parking lot in Vegas last year. It looks absolutely devoid of any fun.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:20 pm It was held in the back parking lot in Vegas last year. It looks absolutely devoid of any fun.
Well the stage was at the Bellagio Fountains. Looked pretty sweet on TV
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow, that kind of sucks. Why Arrowhead? It will be in a giant parking lot in a terrible part of KC? Come on KC. Do this at the Liberty Memorial, Washington Sq Park, something with a decent surrounding and backdrop. Hell you could even do it on all those surface lots behind crown center and down grand to the crown center square so people are at least close to the downtown area. Use the parking lots in the north loop.

Terrible idea. Arrowhead is fine for games, not events like this. The TSC area for an event like this would be depressing as hell.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:22 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:20 pm It was held in the back parking lot in Vegas last year. It looks absolutely devoid of any fun.
No it wasn't. There was a broadcast stage there but not where the fans were gathered.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Wow, that kind of sucks. Why Arrowhead? It will be in a giant parking lot in a terrible part of KC? Come on KC. Do this at the Liberty Memorial, Washington Sq Park, something with a decent surrounding and backdrop.

Terrible idea. Arrowhead is fine for games, not events like this.
Yeah why this isn't on the north lawn I have no idea.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 pm where is the weight requirement that US can't meet?
This. Half a million people can gather for a World Series parade but we can't hold the draft there?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 pm where is the weight requirement that US can't meet?
Wonder if its aerials from ceiling?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:31 pm
No it wasn't. There was a broadcast stage there but not where the fans were gathered.
That's why I said TV. I know the fans were gathered elsewhere but the stage showcased Vegas - Not the Raiders.

I think we're both saying the same thing - holding this in the Arrowhead parking lot, or even Arrowhead is a waste of this event's potential
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

All indications are the event is moving forward as planned at Union Station -- with the NFL / KCMO having had no talks of moving the location. The League is in town for another site beginning tomorrow, so we should know more very soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:44 pm
There will be entirely too many people for this to be inside US. That's where I'm confused.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:52 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:31 pm

That's why I said TV. I know the fans were gathered elsewhere but the stage showcased Vegas - Not the Raiders.

I think we're both saying the same thing - holding this in the Arrowhead parking lot, or even Arrowhead is a waste of this event's potential
In this case you would still easily do the broadcast pieces in picturesque backdrop and the fans/selection piece wherever.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:43 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:44 pm
There will be entirely too many people for this to be inside US. That's where I'm confused.
Stage in front of Union Station -- facing south
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Right that was always my thought. What is the weight problem?
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:28 pm Right that was always my thought. What is the weight problem?
Not 100% sure honestly -- I know throughout the entire bid/execution process for the Draft, there's always been discussion about various weight limitations at multiple venues in the city. But those should not be an issue here with Union Station.