NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:41 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 pm I think it’s going to be spectacular at Union Station. Couldn’t be more excited. Knowing Kansas City, the streets will be full the entire time, streetcar running, CC full and hopefully beautiful weather. Will be hearing for months how surprising great KC is, just like when the ASG came to town. We know how to show up.
I hope they don't close the streetcar as they did during previous major sports events.
Yes. It needs to look vibrant and that "this is normal activity in Kansas City." Even though it's obviously not.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 pm I think it’s going to be spectacular at Union Station. Couldn’t be more excited. Knowing Kansas City, the streets will be full the entire time, streetcar running, CC full and hopefully beautiful weather. Will be hearing for months how surprising great KC is, just like when the ASG came to town. We know how to show up.
Exactly! I was deeply involved in the MLB All-Star planning along with the MLS version. This should be that times 2 or 3.

There will be other programming around town like concerts at PNL every night to make this feel like a city wide or downtown wide event. Give people reasons to leave the actual Draft experience and check out all of our downtown.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I found this response from the city regarding a permit for water pipeline excavation to be interesting:
Due to the NFL Draft, all non-emergency excavations in the pavement from the River to Brush Creek, State Line to Chestnut is to be put on hold until the start of May.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:04 am
Due to the NFL Draft, all non-emergency excavations in the pavement from the River to Brush Creek, State Line to Chestnut is to be put on hold until the start of May.
The city just won't feel the same if Broadway and SW Blvd goes multiple months without being torn up.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I don't understand this. Needed maintenance being delayed all winter for what? Appearances for one weekend months from now? Also when did this take effect, tore up part of my street last week, steel plate down now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:05 pm I don't understand this. Needed maintenance being delayed all winter for what? Appearances for one weekend months from now? Also when did this take effect, tore up part of my street last week, steel plate down now.
Neighborhood Twitter shows numerous examples of egregious utility cuts (mostly Spire). Spire also has disregarded the rules around repairing streets that have been cut and had a temporary permit ban. As we have discussed here before, paving in the winter is a lot less effective. If spire can't figure it out during the summer, they aren't gonna make it work in the winter....

Nice streets/sidewalks with no trash are little but formative pieces of the visiting experience.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:11 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:05 pm I don't understand this. Needed maintenance being delayed all winter for what? Appearances for one weekend months from now? Also when did this take effect, tore up part of my street last week, steel plate down now.
Neighborhood Twitter shows numerous examples of egregious utility cuts (mostly Spire). Spire also has disregarded the rules around repairing streets that have been cut and had a temporary permit ban. As we have discussed here before, paving in the winter is a lot less effective. If spire can't figure it out during the summer, they aren't gonna make it work in the winter....

Nice streets/sidewalks with no trash are little but formative pieces of the visiting experience.
That's fine and I understand the shortfalls of the utility companies. But what about permanent policies and enforcement that balance the need of keeping infrastructure repaired and the need to quickly and efficiently restore the streets after work is finished? What rubs me the wrong way about a dictate like that is that is shows that appearances for tourists and TV cameras is more important than taking care of resident's needs. They put out something like this because of the "visiting experience" but I currently have a steel plate 200 ft from my front door that's been there going on 10-12 days? Pffft.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

My take is that there are a bunch of policies that the companies or their contractors are not following. Someone can confirm, but I think the state limits how much the city can do to the utilities.

The complete Spire ban was an example of a drastic measure made for day-day citizens benefit. This NFL Draft ban also will. With many of downtown’s streets being reconstructed right now, not immediately ripping holes in will improve my life.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Just hope the problem with the utility companies and possibly the city's coordination with them gets addressed in a serious and permanent way, not just temporarily for appearances.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I worked for a commercial utility installer and they regularly furloughed employees for winter time because we couldn’t dig effectively between Nov and March/April anyways, so honestly we aren’t missing a whole lot of work
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

prices already rising. book now
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:40 am prices already rising. book now
Where do you find tickets?
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:32 pm
It's a free event. Could be referring to hotel prices.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Link2 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:02 pm It's a free event. Could be referring to hotel prices.
I believe there are special access packages, but I don't believe they've been released yet.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:32 pm
Yes hotels sorry. Was looking at doing something nice that weekend but is expensive!
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Link2 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:02 pm It's a free event. Could be referring to hotel prices.
I believe there are special access packages, but I don't believe they've been released yet.
Yep, I think On Location will be offering packages very soon
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

NFL Draft team in town this week, they were at union station taking measurements of the streetcar stop, as well as the distance from the stop to the building itself, looked like they were trying to plan out barriers and whatnot so as to utilize the streetcar in conjunction with the tan events. On a side note, good lord did they have a heavy police presence with them :lol:
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Probably reading the comments section in the Star.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Haven't seen this on here yet. NFL officials presented their plan to the city council yesterday.
The pair outlined a preliminary site plan for the draft, which will be focused on Union Station and the National World War I Museum and Memorial.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... ansas-city
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Good. This was always the correct and best plan.