NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:46 am https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-awards-int ... -countries
Found this interesting. 18 NFL teams, including the Chiefs, were awarded international marketing rights to certain countries. The Chiefs are listed with Germany. Several of the teams will have one or more of their draft picks announced from cities in those countries this year. Curious why the Chiefs chose Germany, especially since it doesn't appear exclusive and other teams are listed for Germany. No one is listed for France. Perhaps an African country would have made sense with a Nigerian Nightmare tie in.
Does NFL play any games in France?
Not yet. But they (NFL) indicated that Spain and France are the next targets for expansion of the international games.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:03 pm Does NFL play any games in France?
NFL will play their first games in France and Spain in two years. First game in Germany was last week in Munich. No games scheduled for any of the other countries including China, Australia, Brazil…
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Well, they tried not to cover it up…
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yeah I was hoping it would be more off center allowing for more of a view of the front of Union Station
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

“Let’s build a giant tarp tent the same size as the building instead of actually using the building!”
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Apparently, the NFL has one stage and they wouldn't budge. Just glad we're able to get any views at all rather than at the TSC. Would have been forgotten like Cleveland & Dallas' drafts. This will be remembered for a long time.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Looks like this might put the often-shown green room inside the main hall – could be pretty cool, unless they cover it all up.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I know I’m being a homer saying this but I think this is gonna be the coolest looking draft yet bar none. And yes I remember Nashvilles. This is better.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:04 pm I know I’m being a homer saying this but I think this is gonna be the coolest looking draft yet bar none. And yes I remember Nashvilles. This is better.
Hard to go wrong at that location even with a partially obscured Union Station. The Liberty Memorial Terrace and accompanying view to the north is among my favorite urban spaces in the US. Wonderful to have that here in KC. Hopefully the NFL will get a few shots from up there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nashville had a cool crowd location but this has both great crowd and stage setup. The downside for the fans is literally nothing to do except be in the crowd.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The frustrating thing is there is no info flowing to even the hospitality side. You would thing an organization like the NFL would have a dedicated draft team but sounds like it's the same team for super bowl so no real info coming out until after that. Of course this could be due to our average at best cvb to visit KC defense they aren't really given proper funding
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:19 am Nashville had a cool crowd location but this has both great crowd and stage setup. The downside for the fans is literally nothing to do except be in the crowd.
Looking at the renderings of the event shown above, it looks like there are smaller tents on Pershing Road and on the hill leading up to the Liberty Memorial. What are these for? I really don't know - food, drink, merchandise ???

At the very least, it seems they could bring in food trucks on Pershing Road.

I've always wondered what the hell you do at an NFL draft and why it's such a big event? I have absolutely no interest in watching it on TV or live, it would be like watching paint dry. I can understand the downside of fans having nothing to do (at that location) because the event itself doesn't offer all that much to do.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I don't get it either. Seems pretty silly and I'm a huge football fan.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Because most of the hardcore fans follow the mock-drafts, college prospects and by the time April rolls around you're going stir crazy to see where all these guys are gonna land on the board. It's fascinating to me atleast.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:12 pm Because most of the hardcore fans follow the mock-drafts, college prospects and by the time April rolls around you're going stir crazy to see where all these guys are gonna land on the board. It's fascinating to me atleast.
Agree. Last year was the first time I watched Day 1 from start to finish, and followed the draft crush drama on an Arrowheadpride live thread. It was a blast, and fun to watch so many of the Chiefs picks this year excel.

Not sure I fully understand attending live, but if you love football I suppose it's a great excuse for a party with likeminded folks during an otherwise quiet time of year.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

From the news sources I’ve seen the event will include food, Fan Fest type activities and music acts, besides all of the actual draft activities that can be watched. The music entertainment & try your luck type activities, as well as admission, are free. Hotel rates along the streetcar, downtown are sky high.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Will there be an alternative Amtrak station? Amtrak is still selling tickets to/from KCY that day?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:00 pm Will there be an alternative Amtrak station? Amtrak is still selling tickets to/from KCY that day?
I may have found an answer to everyone here's questions
Date: 12/21/22 08:11
Amtrak VS NFL

Kansas City is hosting the 2023 NFL Draft at Union Station in April. The entire building will be locked down, only credentialed guests and staff permitted inside the building, and there won't be any public vehicle traffic permitted within 4 blocks or so as most fan activities will be outside around the complex.

Except... the building hosts Amtrak's KC station. Union Station management has requested that the Amtrak operation be closed during the draft and that passengers be transferred via bus to their Lawrence, Kansas station (25 miles west). Amtrak refused, then realized that their lease contract had expired November 30th. Union Station provided them with a the 6 month extension they requested- with language shutting out Amtrak during the draft. Amtrak has backpedaled and is supposed to be negotiating with the NFL. We will see how this one turns out.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:07 pm
langosta wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:00 pm Will there be an alternative Amtrak station? Amtrak is still selling tickets to/from KCY that day?
I may have found an answer to everyone here's questions
Date: 12/21/22 08:11
Amtrak VS NFL

Kansas City is hosting the 2023 NFL Draft at Union Station in April. The entire building will be locked down, only credentialed guests and staff permitted inside the building, and there won't be any public vehicle traffic permitted within 4 blocks or so as most fan activities will be outside around the complex.

Except... the building hosts Amtrak's KC station. Union Station management has requested that the Amtrak operation be closed during the draft and that passengers be transferred via bus to their Lawrence, Kansas station (25 miles west). Amtrak refused, then realized that their lease contract had expired November 30th. Union Station provided them with a the 6 month extension they requested- with language shutting out Amtrak during the draft. Amtrak has backpedaled and is supposed to be negotiating with the NFL. We will see how this one turns out.
Thanks for digging on this, had only gotten info second hand so I didn’t have any verifiable idea.