NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:52 pm Politics/political data is my forte' and former job 8)
That is why I get attacked alot for most eveything else on here, because I don't know much else.
I wouldn't see you as getting attacked. You have a strong opinion on where the Royals next stadium should be and have voiced it many times. People disagree. This board is much more tame than it used to be. :)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:33 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:52 pm Politics/political data is my forte' and former job 8)
That is why I get attacked alot for most eveything else on here, because I don't know much else.
I wouldn't see you as getting attacked. You have a strong opinion on where the Royals next stadium should be and have voiced it many times. People disagree. This board is much more tame than it used to be. :)
Once you've lived in a huge city and felt the glory of the downtown stadium, it's hard to go back. That's what happened to me when I moved back home and gazed at Kauffman with a different viewpoint after that experience. Just can't shake it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:49 pm Once you've lived in a huge city and felt the glory of the downtown stadium, it's hard to go back. That's what happened to me when I moved back home and gazed at Kauffman with a different viewpoint after that experience. Just can't shake it.
I share your point of view, but I sure have some great memories at the K. It will be hard to see her torn down, if that’s the path taken. Time for new memories though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:35 am
TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:24 am Just leave the state already. I love my city, hate my state. They're holding us back.
Good thing there’s a solution for that- live across the border in Kansas, and still have everything of KCMO!

I wish we could just add KC into Kansas already tbh
Why on Earth would we add KC to Kansas? KC is the most populous municipality in Missouri now.

Kansas City, Missouri, existed before Kansas was admitted as a state into the Union. Kansas City even existed before Kansas was a federal territory. In fact, what is now the State of Kansas was once part of the Missouri Territory.

Kansas has many of the same political dynamics as Missouri. I don't really see the advantage.

Missouri has a larger percentage of its' population living in urban areas than does Kansas.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:25 am Why on Earth would we add KC to Kansas? KC is the most populous municipality in Missouri now.

Kansas City, Missouri, existed before Kansas was admitted as a state into the Union. Kansas City even existed before Kansas was a federal territory. In fact, what is now the State of Kansas was once part of the Missouri Territory.

Kansas has many of the same political dynamics as Missouri. I don't really see the advantage.

Missouri has a larger percentage of its' population living in urban areas than does Kansas.
Don't like the idea either, but whenever federal funds come to Missouri for urban areas, most of it goes to St. Louis.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:25 am
TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:24 am Just leave the state already. I love my city, hate my state. They're holding us back.
Good thing there’s a solution for that- live across the border in Kansas, and still have everything of KCMO!

Why on Earth would we add KC to Kansas? KC is the most populous municipality in Missouri now.

I know what you mean Fang, but KC would be even more powerful in Kansas than having to play second to fiddle to STL. The state of Kansas would probably become a blue state, and then all of the sudden you could do alot more for the city and citizenry than being stuck in never-changing red Missouri.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 pm

I know what you mean Fang, but KC would be even more powerful in Kansas than having to play second to fiddle to STL. The state of Kansas would probably become a blue state, and then all of the sudden you could do alot more for the city and citizenry than being stuck in never-changing red Missouri.
You are aware that conservative interests and money are directly responsible for the construction of most major cities, are you not?

To see things as simply red or blue as you are, is ignorant to say the least. Pull your head out of the sand.

It's also a little laughable that you think Kansas is somehow more liberal than MO. What great winds of progress and liberal hallmarks kansas is filled with!! LOL.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think he's saying that if metro KC were entirely (or mostly?) in Kansas, that would inundate the state with a large number of democratic voters. But I would be pretty surprised if it turned the whole state blue, and anyway, if I wanted to live in Kansas... I'd live in Kansas. If there were ever a serious threat of KC being absorbed into Kansas, which there won't be, I think a fair number of people would start reevaluating their life choices.

St. Louis's outsize influence in state politics is freaking annoying though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Kansas probably has the worst urban areas of any state in the country. The state only cares about Johnson County. KCK is honesty a joke. You can tell me all you want about projects happening downtown etc, but the place is stuck in a 1970's time capsule with bunch of tacky subsidized suburban development slapped onto its western end.

Topeka? Maybe better than Jackson MS? Probably not though.

Wichita? Just a big suburb in the middle of nowhere with one of the most lifeless downtowns of any city of that size.

At least Lawrence and Manhattan are relatively normal and self sustaining college towns.

What I'm saying is that if all of KC were in KS, there is nothing that says the metro would be better off. Looking at how the state and KS business community deals with KCK/JoCo, I think if KCMO were in KC, the metro would be much worse off. There would be no desire to have a real urban center city at all. At least not from the state level.

Face it. Missouri is a dumbass RED state. KC's suburbs lean pretty hard red despite the city being blue, especially on the MO side. I think MO is worse than KS now as far as being a "trump" type state. Till KC and StL suburban areas get more moderate or democratic, MO will continue to go in the wrong direction politically. I just don't see how moving to KS would change that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 pm Kansas probably has the worst urban areas of any state in the country. The state only cares about Johnson County. KCK is honesty a joke. You can tell me all you want about projects happening downtown etc, but the place is stuck in a 1970's time capsule with bunch of tacky subsidized suburban development slapped onto its western end.

Topeka? Maybe better than Jackson MS? Probably not though.

Wichita? Just a big suburb in the middle of nowhere with one of the most lifeless downtowns of any city of that size.

At least Lawrence and Manhattan are relatively normal and self sustaining college towns.

What I'm saying is that if all of KC were in KS, there is nothing that says the metro would be better off. Looking at how the state and KS business community deals with KCK/JoCo, I think if KCMO were in KC, the metro would be much worse off. There would be no desire to have a real urban center city at all. At least not from the state level.

Face it. Missouri is a dumbass RED state. KC's suburbs lean pretty hard red despite the city being blue, especially on the MO side. I think MO is worse than KS now as far as being a "trump" type state. Till KC and StL suburban areas get more moderate or democratic, MO will continue to go in the wrong direction politically. I just don't see how moving to KS would change that.
Missouri hasn't been kind to Kansas City in so many ways. This includes both state control over the KC Police force (a truly archaic situation) and the every 5 year required vote on the Kansas City Earnings Tax. Conservative politician positioning regarding stem cell research hurt the Stower's Institute's once stated desire to expand in Kansas City and contemporary politicians like Hawley and Parsons are an embarrassment to the state.

I really wish the metro was indeed unified under one political entity but, to be honest, neither Kansas or Missouri are optimal solutions. The status quo will live on anyway but it would be great if there was more of a spirit of unity between the city and the burbs and more bistate-type initiatives to improve infrastructure and cultural institutions as well as unified attempts to improve the overall attractiveness of the city to the business world. Unfortunately, I think the current political situation in the US where each party actively works to see the other fail (regardless of the costs) translates to the metro area as well. Republican suburbanites want nothing to do with liberal cities and would rather see them implode than prosper. It was interesting to read about Atlanta having some of the same issues. At least it's not unique to KC.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm

You are aware that conservative interests and money are directly responsible for the construction of most major cities, are you not?

To see things as simply red or blue as you are, is ignorant to say the least. Pull your head out of the sand.

It's also a little laughable that you think Kansas is somehow more liberal than MO. What great winds of progress and liberal hallmarks kansas is filled with!! LOL.
Kansas voted to the Left of Missouri in 2020 and is continuing to pretty rapidly trend blue, and Missouri is fairly steadily more red now than Kansas.

Adding KC or the metro into Kansas would make KS significantly more liberal and therefore also make Missouri slant into an even more solid Red state.

I'm not sure what else is there is to say to that. It's pretty straightforward what would happen if KC joined Kansas.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ Oh I know. Missouri sucks too and KCMO constantly gets shafted by the state. But KS would not be any better.

It's quite amazing that KCMO has been able to be as successful has it has been considering it has to fight the states of MO and KS.

No, it's not unique to KC at all. Suburbs are the driving factor in who wins elections. Center cities are 80-90% democratic and rural areas are 80-90% republican. It's the suburbs swing things one way or the other. Midwestern and southern suburbs tend to lean republican. That's why states like Missouri and Ohio are red despite having large metro areas.

Many of Atlanta's suburbs flipped blue and that's how the state flipped blue. Here in the DC area, the suburbs are blue as they are in most large coastal metro areas, but the rural areas are still 90% republican.

So the question would be that even if metro KC could get away from both MO and KS would it help when so much of the metro is republican? I would imagine the metro area of 2 million is moderate or about 50/50. If metro KC and StL would be closer to 60% democratic, they would easily carry the state.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Kansas voted to the Left of Missouri in 2020 and is continuing to pretty rapidly trend blue, and Missouri is fairly steadily more red now than Kansas.

Adding KC or the metro into Kansas would make KS significantly more liberal and therefore also make Missouri slant into an even more solid Red state.

I'm not sure what else is there is to say to that. It's pretty straightforward what would happen if KC joined Kansas.
This may sound weird, but Kansas is a more urbanized state than Missouri, that's why it's trending blue while MO is trending red. A higher percentage of people in KS live in urbanized areas and nearly all the growth is in JoCo which is a large educated white collar suburb, which tend to lean blue. MO has a ton of rural population and Springfield etc is metropolitan but still very conservative.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm

This may sound weird, but Kansas is a more urbanized state than Missouri, that's why it's trending blue while MO is trending red. A higher percentage of people in KS live in urbanized areas and nearly all the growth is in JoCo which is a large educated white collar suburb, which tend to lean blue. MO has a ton of rural population and Springfield etc is metropolitan but still very conservative.
Oddly enough, the most populous suburb in both Kansas and Missouri (Johnson and St Louis County) both went blue in the 2020 presidential election. Missouri counties that were blue included Boone, Jackson, St Louis and St Louis city. In Kansas, Douglas, Johnson, Wyandotte Counties were all blue plus the counties that include Topeka and Junction City. Missouri has a much larger rural population than Kansas so some of the heavy republican counties in northern Missouri and the Ozarks with their larger populations carried more weight than the extremely lightly populated western Kansas rural areas. Adding to that, a Hispanic influx in SW Kansas is starting to tip the balance of power in some otherwise very conservative rural counties.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Kansas is moving blue pretty fast- actually at one of the fastest rates in the country- the only issue is that it started shifting from an already deep red point.

In re-election years, which are much more stable and telling, here's how Kansas has shifted:

2004- R+26
2012- R+21.6
2020- R+14.6

GRID is exactly right- Kansas is actually fairly urban state relative to the rest of the country, which means shifts in Wichita, JoCo, Topeka, etc. are very quickly moving it Blue with very little rural area to offset it. Also would note that Kansas is one of the most educated states in the country.

Urban+High Education levels = definitely gonna trend blue.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Any news on the actual NFL Draft?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The dates are officially set.

The 2023 NFL Draft is coming to Kansas City on April 27-29, 2023

http://twitter.com/Chiefs/status/1507085367639433222
KC is the way to be!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Union Station might be out as the location. It can't support the desired weight required.

Let the speculation begin on next potential location.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm Union Station might be out as the location. It can't support the desired weight required.

Wow - interesting.

Have to imagine it’s Washington Square Park then right? Gorgeous views and has demonstrated the capacity to support festivals/events
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm Union Station might be out as the location. It can't support the desired weight required.

It's going to Arrowhead. Plans are already being drawn.