One North Development

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Re: One North Development

Post by jbean3535 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:45 am Any updates on this project, haven’t heard any new announcements recently.
The 2 hotels and the apartments look just about damn near done. Nothing else is really visibly happening.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Didn't see this bit of information posted on here. More development for North KC. Things are on a roll. The Milhaus project is another 272 apartments.
On Wednesday, July 28, the One North Redevelopment developer presented an open update on Wednesday, July 28, from 4-6 p.m. One North will be home to a new 35,000 sq. ft., full-service grocery store. The full-service grocery store will feature a modern design and layout with fresh produce, baked goods, meats, dairy, a floral section, and more. One North will also welcome a new multifamily apartment complex. The multi-family component, developed by Milhaus, will include six individual buildings ranging from 36-80 units each, with a shared pool, clubhouse facility, and dog park. Completion of the grocery store is anticipated in the Fall of 2022 and completion of the apartment project is anticipated in the Summer of 2023.
http://www.nkc.org/news/what_s_new/one_ ... ent_update

Rendering for grocery store and then site plan for Milhaus's development.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Thanks Chris. That location could use a grocery store. I used to just go up to 64th st. to grocery shop when I lived downtown, this would definitely be a lot closer for the people downtown or NKC compared to there or the Englewood Hyvee. The only sort of grocery store in all of NKC is the Save a Lot on Burlington.

I understand the renderings are not per se going to be exactly what the store will be since the lease is probalby not yet finalized, but sure looks like a Whole Foods or Sprouts. 35000 sq foot is too small for Hyvee or Price Chopper and too big for Aldi or Trader Joes.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Bleh. This development is the one major swing and miss in NKC. Too bad
Last edited by kboish on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yeah I just drove by this for the first time in a while - how depressing. It looks incredibly barren and lifeless, completely disjointed from all of the development going on west of I-35.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Jesus. What a fucking disaster. I had high hopes for this project.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's only halfway done....
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just remember, this is how North Kansas City describes itself...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:32 pm It's only halfway done....
Sure, there are few more pad sites? How will that change anything?

The development is fine for what it is. It's Adams Dairy Parkway a mile from downtown.

I know it's not easy to develop a true urban, walkable, dense development, but that would have been the perfect spot for something like that, especially in NKC which has some decent new development.

This in no way ties to the rest of the city. It's an island of outer suburban sprawl in the middle of the city. Over half the developed land is surface parking lots.

Even that cycle path makes little sense now. It goes nowhere on both ends and why would you want to ride through this.

It is what it is. NKC has their little suburb now. Just saying I thought they were going a different direction than this, but I guess not.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I miss having Sutherland's there.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Like someone said it is what it is on that side on NKC, East of I-35. Before this there were abandoned grain elevators, unused railroad tracks, and such. The Sutherlands was popular, especially the lumber yard if I recall. However there was zero residential population right there. You had to go North, just East of the NKC hospital to get that or back West under I-35. The development still has potential but the finances and such have be reshaped over time and with COVID exploding during it I'm surprised what is there is there. Surprised in a good way that it stuck around. But this is what happens when a developer drags it's feet a little, some was within it's control, some were not.

As for rest of Northtown some good things going on to the West especially around Armor & Swift and then North along Burlington. Going to be some unique development going on there, which is closer to the "city center" where there is much more population. If anything they are coming along nicely and piggy-backing off the success of downtown for sure. This is good stuff even if it is not what everyone wanted, few developments are, but it creates another stronger outer ring of downtown which can have a major impact of other big picture idea such as lower HWY 9 across the HOA bridge and the development there to connect Columbus Circle to River Market and the removal of the North Loop. NKC is a piece of those puzzles, even with the street car maybe rolling North. It would help create a more Urban feel from the river crossing into Downtown as moving from 1 neighborhood to the next not just passing by the highway
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I noticed in Fox4 that they called out what type of Grocery Store it was, but I missed it. It's called literllay just "The Fresh Market" or "Fresh Market." Looks like it's probably "The Fresh Market" that was apparently open for a little while in Prarie Fire before pulling out of KC.

https://fox4kc.com/business/new-apartme ... ment-next/

https://www.thefreshmarket.com/
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

They also were in the middle of construction on a location next door to the LIberty-area Best Buy store and pulled out at the same time as the Overland Park store. Just left the entire facade unfinished and just up and stopped one day.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I love Fresh Market! A few years ago they sold many of their Midwest stores when they were bought by a larger company. Glad to see they are expanding again.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Colliers 2022 Market Report has Fresh Market in it besides Dollar Fresh that open in Oak Grove and nothing else to report in terms of Commercial that hasen't been announced yet. Their Website has no KS/MO location back yet Fresh Market.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Wichita-based developer Rodney Steven II is opening 6S Sports, an upscale sports bar/activity center similar to Chicken and Pickle at One North and construction is slated to begin in 60 days. Brief mention of it in the link https://www.kansas.com/news/business/bi ... 29461.html

He's one of the guys behind Genesis Health Clubs and has kind of a spotty record with how Genesis has poorly managed acquisitions and the way they handled management of the Wichita Ice Center. He's behind a large sports-centered development in the Wichita suburb of Goddard, where the first 6S Sports is going to open.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Milhaus broke ground on a 275 unit complex at this site recently
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This development is turning out to be sort of a suburban dud IMO. It's nice infill I guess, but I was hoping for something a bit more urban for a location like that.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:57 pm This development is turning out to be sort of a suburban dud IMO. It's nice infill I guess, but I was hoping for something a bit more urban for a location like that.
Agree. Huge missed opportunity, IMO. Decent mix of uses but the overall generic suburban plan is awful. Even the proposed Top Golf-alike would have been better.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Latest progress on the "Ora KC" development