Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by shinatoo »

Does anyone do modern trolly cars that could be hop on hop off, or has ADA and other government regulations killed that?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:48 pm I'm pretty sure there'd be no Federal aid if not enough existing density, that is I don't think they provide funding for speculative future density. A balanced approach is to do BRT/MAX where it makes sense with same level boarding stops as streetcar and then upgrade to streetcar in future if/when density justifies it.

And we can't compare to original streetcar system as the operational costs are now far higher relative to ridership.
Just for my knowledge, where does it say that "area for transit must have a population density of xxx ppl/per square mile? What about St Louis Metro, many of their extensions are in low density areas. Same with South Mountain extension for Phoenix. Relatively low density, SFH and small shops south of Phoenix downtown got federal funding - both had local match.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:17 pm Does anyone do modern trolly cars that could be hop on hop off, or has ADA and other government regulations killed that?
Like this? No, thanks.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:25 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:48 pm I'm pretty sure there'd be no Federal aid if not enough existing density, that is I don't think they provide funding for speculative future density. A balanced approach is to do BRT/MAX where it makes sense with same level boarding stops as streetcar and then upgrade to streetcar in future if/when density justifies it.

And we can't compare to original streetcar system as the operational costs are now far higher relative to ridership.
Just for my knowledge, where does it say that "area for transit must have a population density of xxx ppl/per square mile? What about St Louis Metro, many of their extensions are in low density areas. Same with South Mountain extension for Phoenix. Relatively low density, SFH and small shops south of Phoenix downtown got federal funding - both had local match.
It's a complex formula and depends on the path you choose and the entire corridor project is assessed. Job/residential density -- which usually translates to ridership -- is one component. Our starter line went the TIGER (now RAISE) grant path and didn't have to prove that. The Main Street Extension went the New Starts path -- which accepts larger projects -- and had to really show their math.

The math was very different in the 90s when the initial MetroLink segment was built. Lengthy extensions into Illinois might have been locally funded or earmarked. Their last extension (Cross County) was 100% locally funded because it didn't qualify for funding.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:18 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:25 pm

The math was very different in the 90s when the initial MetroLink segment was built. Lengthy extensions into Illinois might have been locally funded or earmarked. Their last extension (Cross County) was 100% locally funded because it didn't qualify for funding.
I think that is right. Their under-construction extension is 100% local/state and the North/South line has never advanced, despite local approvals, because they can't get a federal match.

IIRC, KC's 90s and early 2000s LRT attempts involved 80% federal and 20% state/local capital
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Isn’t the counter-argument to all this that you thereby need the streetcar to create more density if we’re lacking it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:28 pm Isn’t the counter-argument to all this that you thereby need the streetcar to create more density if we’re lacking it?
You can create density without streetcar. Look at OP!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This is what NKC line should look like!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:44 am Image

This is what NKC line should look like!
Center running or bust!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ God that would have been amazing vs a curb running bus on rail in a traffic lane.

Had KC passed the vote to build that, it would be expanded by now and by 2030 would likely have reached KCI, KS Suburbs, Lee's Summit etc.

KC would have a full blown legit transit system.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

There's still time!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

John Ivy and Bill Nigro (of Westport fame) have some interesting comments at the last KCATA board meeting.

Public Comment
Mr. John Ivy stated that he would like to see KCATA be in control of the Kansas City airport instead of KCMO. He advised he is friends with Bill Nigro who couldn’t be here today but would like the to KCATA begin running party bus lines for the public as it is necessary for tourism. He then spoke about the KCATA bought the 17.5 miles of Railroad with that Jackson County and now it’s time for KCATA to begin building some light rail on that line. Lots of things could be built along that line. He stated if there are any questions, he will leave his card.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

What 17.5 miles of railroad line is he talking about? If it goes anywhere worthwhile, sure since that helped St. Louis MetroLink get going. If it goes no where, then I'm not sure if it'll be worth it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:44 pm What 17.5 miles of railroad line is he talking about? If it goes anywhere worthwhile, sure since that helped St. Louis MetroLink get going. If it goes no where, then I'm not sure if it'll be worth it.
From the west of Linwood blvd close Ish to VA hospital through Truman Sports Complex on to downtown Raytown and then Lees Summit.

I guess the northern end is technically yhe i70 bridge of blue river?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The Rock Island ROW? I thought the county owned that? There is (maybe still, unsure) some type of ROW going north at least SOMEWHAT close to the airport that originally served as a route to St. Jo. Possible the ATA or City could explore that option?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:00 pm The Rock Island ROW? I thought the county owned that? There is (maybe still, unsure) some type of ROW going north at least SOMEWHAT close to the airport that originally served as a route to St. Jo. Possible the ATA or City could explore that option?
Line creek ROW has been built on in some places and mostly bypasses areas where development have occurwd in northland. Not a good choice.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:10 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:00 pm The Rock Island ROW? I thought the county owned that? There is (maybe still, unsure) some type of ROW going north at least SOMEWHAT close to the airport that originally served as a route to St. Jo. Possible the ATA or City could explore that option?
Line creek ROW has been built on in some places and mostly bypasses areas where development have occurwd in northland. Not a good choice.
Pity, given I’m in the camp that high quality direct BRT would be the best option
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:45 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:44 pm What 17.5 miles of railroad line is he talking about? If it goes anywhere worthwhile, sure since that helped St. Louis MetroLink get going. If it goes no where, then I'm not sure if it'll be worth it.
From the west of Linwood blvd close Ish to VA hospital through Truman Sports Complex on to downtown Raytown and then Lees Summit.

I guess the northern end is technically yhe i70 bridge of blue river?
Seems like a waste really.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

November KCATA Board Meeting. Community members came to open testimony asking for expanded light rail/transit system be studied. Yes Please!
John Ivy spoke to the Commissioners regarding KCATA having the bi-state authority to be in charge of the airport and building rail to the airport as well as east, passed the stadiums into Lees Summit, MO. Mr. Ivy also passed out literature regarding rail cooridor plan suggestions.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:04 pm November KCATA Board Meeting. Community members came to open testimony asking for expanded light rail/transit system be studied. Yes Please!
John Ivy spoke to the Commissioners regarding KCATA having the bi-state authority to be in charge of the airport and building rail to the airport as well as east, passed the stadiums into Lees Summit, MO. Mr. Ivy also passed out literature regarding rail cooridor plan suggestions.
Urban lab might very well have a fixed rail master plan in the works to present to the ATA & KCSA