Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's leave the omaha streetcar talk out of here?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:26 pm Let's leave the omaha streetcar talk out of here?
I got us off-topic. Do think its somewhat relevant as a way we can finance more lines,
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well they are a ways off from proving they can put shovels in the ground with that funding but yeah always good to consider different ideas.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So they're paying to build their own streetcar and are gonna keep it free forever? How can Omaha do that? And if so, why the hell isn't KC and every other city building out more lines right now using this exact method? Something's not right here
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Will the Omaha streetcar be in a dedicated or center running right of way with true signal priority? If so, I would be jealous as hell. Good for Omaha though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

okay make a new thread or use this one

viewtopic.php?t=16644&start=180
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 pm It was $1 billion to expand the trench + build a junction and go to Union Station
I've been meaning to come back to this and have been discussing this figure with some others recently.

There is no fucking way that costs that much to do. I'm sorry but there's no way that's true.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:46 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 pm It was $1 billion to expand the trench + build a junction and go to Union Station
I've been meaning to come back to this and have been discussing this figure with some others recently.

There is no fucking way that costs that much to do. I'm sorry but there's no way that's true.

It is what was quoted then. I am sure the number could vary based on a deeper study. A lot has to be done to expand the trench

Trench Costs
Acquire adjacent land
Demo many adjacent structures
Excavation along mission-critical rail lines
Replace all road bridges
Build miles of deep retaining walls
Replace or expand many of the rail bridges

Junction
Land acquisition
Construct flyovers and viaducts
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Part of the inflated cost is to discourage the community from consuming private railroad capacity for public transportation, but they won't let anyone else estimate the costs so...
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:46 pm Part of the inflated cost is to discourage the community from consuming private railroad capacity for public transportation, but they won't let anyone else estimate the costs so...
So this was an internal estimate from RR?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:46 pm Part of the inflated cost is to discourage the community from consuming private railroad capacity for public transportation, but they won't let anyone else estimate the costs so...
Sort of. Consultants are involved. Let's say you own a pipe and the government says they want to put some stuff through your pipe (heh), but your entire business model relies on having available capacity in the pipe as the market shifts (coal, containers, etc.). So you can either restrict your long-term profit potential or give the government what they need for a low price. What would you do?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:36 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm
Sort of. Consultants are involved. Let's say you own a pipe and the government says they want to put some stuff through your pipe (heh), but your entire business model relies on having available capacity in the pipe as the market shifts (coal, containers, etc.). So you can either restrict your long-term profit potential or give the government what they need for a low price. What would you do?
Makes sense now. The number always seemed astronomically high to me, but that reasoning shows why.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If things go really well and the Main St. extension is very popular, then why don't we go for the full blown $1 bil project that puts up streetcar lines all over the place instead of one at a time? If it fails, we just go back to the original plans. But why not try it?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:02 pm If things go really well and the Main St. extension is very popular, then why don't we go for the full blown $1 bil project that puts up streetcar lines all over the place instead of one at a time? If it fails, we just go back to the original plans. But why not try it?
Assuming this mythical money appears, I don’t think the Feds or many people here would find running mixed traffic streetcars all over the place a good use of money.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:23 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:02 pm If things go really well and the Main St. extension is very popular, then why don't we go for the full blown $1 bil project that puts up streetcar lines all over the place instead of one at a time? If it fails, we just go back to the original plans. But why not try it?
Assuming this mythical money appears, I don’t think the Feds or many people here would find running mixed traffic streetcars all over the place a good use of money.
Well obv it’s assumed you put it up for a full vote for a tax. That’s what I’m saying, why not try it? If it fails, whatever. Main St prob makes streetcar a staple popular item that I think would pass
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:32 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:23 pm
Well obv it’s assumed you put it up for a full vote for a tax. That’s what I’m saying, why not try it? If it fails, whatever. Main St prob makes streetcar a staple popular item that I think would pass
Clay is that you?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to do streetcar extensions in stages. Build segments and let development catch up along those lines. Once that happens, then add another segment or route. Give the concept time to bear fruit and show people how the City has benefited.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:34 pm I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to do streetcar extensions in stages. Build segments and let development catch up along those lines. Once that happens, then add another segment or route. Give the concept time to bear fruit and show people how the City has benefited.
Economies of scale and time. Federal project management is costly. There are benefits to doing 10 or 20 miles at a time instead of 2-3
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

I say get on with it. Roads get fixed. Buy steel in bulk.
Not rocket science!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:59 pm
FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:34 pm I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to do streetcar extensions in stages. Build segments and let development catch up along those lines. Once that happens, then add another segment or route. Give the concept time to bear fruit and show people how the City has benefited.
Economies of scale and time. Federal project management is costly. There are benefits to doing 10 or 20 miles at a time instead of 2-3
You can also badly mess up. Mixed traffic streetcars are not a good solution. You need dedicated funding and row.