OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Post by KCPowercat »

I like that east facing plaza.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Looks like the garage is no longer split level with separate entrances on Grand and Walnut. Much better in that regard. Can't wait to see this hole go away since I pass by it nearly everyday.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Someone put in the brick order and let's get going.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Much improved over the old plan. Good to see them thinking ahead by leaving the north facing wall next to Grand blank.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Definitely agree that this looks much better, I am glad to see the street level activation
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

This looks great. Does seem like perhaps a missed opportunity for rooftop deck/pool/common area, although maybe this is part of the plan and not visible in the renderings...

Let's get it built!

Edit...would appear that common area is in the U-shaped courtyard at the rear of the building. Works well enough but the view from the top would be pretty dramatic.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Rooftop decks and amenities are problematic for so many reasons and a lot of tenants don't use them. Interior courtyards are more effective at creating a community and getting neighbors to interact and way easier and more economical to maintain.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

taxi wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:05 am Rooftop decks and amenities are problematic for so many reasons and a lot of tenants don't use them. Interior courtyards are more effective at creating a community and getting neighbors to interact and way easier and more economical to maintain.
This is very true. It's surprising how few people seem to use rooftops on apartment buildings. My son has lived in a few in DC and I stay in them all the time when I travel via Airbnb/vrbo for photo ops. Rarely anybody using them. As a photographer, I love them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think roofs are helpful tenant spaces when living in very densely packed cities and older buildings without balconies. People used roofs all the time in NYC, but that's a very specific situation.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu May 04, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When deciding between two condo buildings many years ago a major reason for the one I went with was the rooftop access and great views. I only went up maybe 6 times a year on my own but more often when having visitors as it was a nice perk for visitors, having a drink up there. Many friends would want to visit on 4th of July, great panoramic views of fireworks from all directions, individual and organized.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This project has meeting next week and a few more in June all over Compass, so it looks like it's moving forward this time.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

CPC approved it, heading to City Council next month. They aim to break ground before end of this year.

It’s also going to include a mini plaza with a fountain.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This building alone will do sooo much for the aesthetics of the river market. It will button up that corner nicely.

The PortKC TOD parcel will help too, but not to the extent this will. The Ashland site is such an eye sore.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Looks like plans were approved last Friday. Hopefully this moves quickly toward breaking (filling?) ground now.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Any updates on this?