OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:09 am Weird that we were literally just talking about this…
Maybe we're good luck lol
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 am I wasn't the source for this article (Gabe Tovar was), but it is a nice write-up.

https://cityscenekc.com/stalled-ashland ... this-year/
Exciting to officially hear a worthwhile project is still alive. I actually have two questions if I may and totally respect if you can't answer.

1. Can you disclose wether there will be a re design? I'm actually rather fond of its look.
2. Will you guys be building without an abatement like KC Commercial had intended? If feasible I feel like its the easier route for a quicker process.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

I can tell you what we intend at this moment, but don't rake me over the coals if the situation changes and we need to pivot down the road...

1) Redesign is intended to be fairly minimal. Maybe add a few more apartments in lieu of part of the amenity space and switch some commercial (Walnut side) to residential. Overall the new owner likes the aesthetic of the old plans. The plans are also several years old and need to be updated to most recent building code.

2) No plans to seek incentives at the moment, as the current incentive system is unworkable. This is the part that makes me the most nervous to make promises on, because construction costs are getting uglier by the day and rents are fairly flat. The new owner takes a very long-term perspective (to his credit) but there are not many investors like him willing to be so patient.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

For Oaks River Market, the developer plans a market-rate, mixed-use project with a two-level parking garage, though a final unit count has not yet been determined. The project won't seek incentives.
Bjornnes said the team ideally will break ground on Oaks River Market later in 2022, though he noted that project quality, not speed, will drive its schedule. Construction is estimated to take 18 to 20 months.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 0#cxrecs_s
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:14 pm I can tell you what we intend at this moment, but don't rake me over the coals if the situation changes and we need to pivot down the road...

1) Redesign is intended to be fairly minimal. Maybe add a few more apartments in lieu of part of the amenity space and switch some commercial (Walnut side) to residential. Overall the new owner likes the aesthetic of the old plans. The plans are also several years old and need to be updated to most recent building code.

2) No plans to seek incentives at the moment, as the current incentive system is unworkable. This is the part that makes me the most nervous to make promises on, because construction costs are getting uglier by the day and rents are fairly flat. The new owner takes a very long-term perspective (to his credit) but there are not many investors like him willing to be so patient.
They're getting rid of the retail section and making it apartments?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Great to see this one's on track to come back to life. The more density around the River market, the better the area will be. 413 Delaware, City Harvest and Ashland seem to be the three in the near-construction pipeline. Projects like the other 5th and Main project, Ascend (Defeo), and 303 Broadway might have to wait a little while longer till their star can shine.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Since the Cold Storage Lofts was recently sold, I'm hoping that property owner will see the benefit of putting up additional apartments on the parking lot on the west side of their property.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1102397 ... a=!3m1!1e3
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 pm
CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:14 pm I can tell you what we intend at this moment, but don't rake me over the coals if the situation changes and we need to pivot down the road...

No, not all of the retail. Keeping commercial at corner of 3rd and Grand.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:03 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 pm
No, not all of the retail. Keeping commercial at corner of 3rd and Grand.

Anyone know any updates where we're at on this project?
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Revised plans submitted to the City this morning. Unfortunately, the previous entitlements expired in February so we need to go through the Development Plan process from the beginning. It is inside the TOD so hopefully we can get reviews expedited as much as possible. Owner is eager to start construction this year.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Grows to 102 units.
He said the appearance of the building, five floors of residential above two levels of parking, remains relatively unchanged and NSPJ Architects of Prairie Village is still the designer. Hausmann Construction of Lincoln, Neb. will be the contractor.
If the project breaks ground by the end of the year, it should be completed by spring 2024.
https://cityscenekc.com/planned-apartme ... 102-units/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I like that they’re going to try bringing electric car sharing to this project. It’s an amenity that I think makes sense on a streetcar or transit line. While transit is a good way to get around, you can’t get everywhere with it. So offering electric cars as an amenity for use when one needs to go somewhere in town not easily accessed by transit, or is to expensive by Uber/Lyft, then this is a great option. Hopefully it becomes more common
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:39 pm I like that they’re going to try bringing electric car sharing to this project. It’s an amenity that I think makes sense on a streetcar or transit line. While transit is a good way to get around, you can’t get everywhere with it. So offering electric cars as an amenity for use when one needs to go somewhere in town not easily accessed by transit, or is to expensive by Uber/Lyft, then this is a great option. Hopefully it becomes more common
I wish my apartment had this. I only use my car once or twice a week. Streetcar or walk the rest.

But I need to keep the car for the 6 times a month I use it
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^You're a candidate for ZipCar. Too bad they pulled out of MO. Maybe when streetcar extensions are complete they'll take another shot with KC.

Even so with 6X per month you could do Uber/bike and not pay for a car, maintenance, insurance, and for many, parking. Profit.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:39 pm I like that they’re going to try bringing electric car sharing to this project. It’s an amenity that I think makes sense on a streetcar or transit line. While transit is a good way to get around, you can’t get everywhere with it. So offering electric cars as an amenity for use when one needs to go somewhere in town not easily accessed by transit, or is to expensive by Uber/Lyft, then this is a great option. Hopefully it becomes more common
It's a very cool idea. Hope to see more of this.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:23 pm ^You're a candidate for ZipCar. Too bad they pulled out of MO. Maybe when streetcar extensions are complete they'll take another shot with KC.

Even so with 6X per month you could do Uber/bike and not pay for a car, maintenance, insurance, and for many, parking. Profit.
Used it freshman and sophomore years of college. Big fan.

Considering giving my car to my sister and living the Uber/bike life. Big commitment if I need to drive out to the burbs for any reason or things change with my job though
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:23 pm ^You're a candidate for ZipCar. Too bad they pulled out of MO. Maybe when streetcar extensions are complete they'll take another shot with KC.
The city could have subsidized it, but they weren't interested. We're not that hot of a market, even with the streetcar extension.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Zipcar pulled out of STL too.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Revised plans were uploaded to Compass. As previously said, design didn't change but floor plans seemed to have changed a bit to fit the additional units. Really happy this got denser.

Would be lovely to have this, 3rd and Grand, City Harvest, and 413 Delaware all rise at the same time for ultimate construction boom effect + rapid densification.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:03 am Revised plans were uploaded to Compass. As previously said, design didn't change but floor plans seemed to have changed a bit to fit the additional units. Really happy this got denser.

Would be lovely to have this, 3rd and Grand, City Harvest, and 413 Delaware all rise at the same time for ultimate construction boom effect + rapid densification.
Don't forget the Defeo project at 3rd and Oak.

viewtopic.php?p=624345#p624345