Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by FangKC »

Council places hold on demolition.

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricKC/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:45 pm Council places hold on demolition.

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricKC/
Bunch and Shields on Thursday applied to nominate four structures northeast of 31st and Main streets to the Kansas City Register of Historic Places, as the 31st & Main Historic District.

The overlay would encompass the historic Ward and Jeserich buildings, built in 1888 and 1905, respectively, at 3035-37 and 3041-45 Main. Also included are two connector buildings — the Union Hill Commons atrium at 3039 Main and a commercial stretch at 6-10 E. 31st St.

The nomination by Bunch and Shields inhibits the issuance of any permits — including for demolition — for six months or until a decision from the city's Historic Preservation Commission.
A historic designation in spite of PriceMgmtCo.'s demolition plan would represent an exceedingly rare local step. Kansas City only ever issued such a designation against a property owner's wishes for Union Station, and similar past efforts have dissipated elsewhere, such as for the Seventh Church of Christ, Scientist, in the Country Club Plaza.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ce=twitter
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:28 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am There should be treated with a “your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins” philosophy. KC is running a $200m streetcar straight past this parcel, and it’s in the public’s interest for it to running past buildings, not blasted out surface lots. This goes for the entire streetcar line. In a town where we have destructive developers like Copaken or Price bros, I think extra restrictions and controls are in order, to protect what little of KC’s urban fabric has survived
My gut instinct about this is that they want those buildings demolished mostly so they can close the alley and build structured parking in the middle of any project constructed on the whole south end of the block.

Who will bet me they will ask for incentives as well?
My understanding is that a major issue in their minds is that none of the buildings' floors line up. They want to be able to develop a single building on the site and combining the buildings is not feasible (an ADA nightmare it was described as).
Basically they want a clean slate.
They shouldn't have purchased a block of historic buildings if that was what they were after. I can't believe that in 2022 they don't view them as assets. You can't build authentic charm like that and it's not overly abundant in this town anymore.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

The younger generations will have memories of nothing but glass window buildings to share with their children. Makes me sad.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:53 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:28 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am There should be treated with a “your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins” philosophy. KC is running a $200m streetcar straight past this parcel, and it’s in the public’s interest for it to running past buildings, not blasted out surface lots. This goes for the entire streetcar line. In a town where we have destructive developers like Copaken or Price bros, I think extra restrictions and controls are in order, to protect what little of KC’s urban fabric has survived
My gut instinct about this is that they want those buildings demolished mostly so they can close the alley and build structured parking in the middle of any project constructed on the whole south end of the block.

Who will bet me they will ask for incentives as well?
My understanding is that a major issue in their minds is that none of the buildings' floors line up. They want to be able to develop a single building on the site and combining the buildings is not feasible (an ADA nightmare it was described as).
Basically they want a clean slate.
They shouldn't have purchased a block of historic buildings if that was what they were after. I can't believe that in 2022 they don't view them as assets. You can't build authentic charm like that and it's not overly abundant in this town anymore.
JoCo developer mindset.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Can't really blame them for thinking that would work here, too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I noticed this information in an article about KCATA's development powers. KCATA could get involved with Price giving them more subsidies if they retain the historic structure. This isn't counting the historic tax credits.

RideKC prepares to deploy transit-oriented development powers throughout metro area
Kansas City's regional transit agency is assuming a unique role in area economic development to help the rubber meet the road on a carefully chosen handful of transit-oriented projects.
Since RideKC's creation, its officials have advanced several individual projects on legacy KCATA-owned infill sites. But during the past year, the organization has honed a playbook for helping developers pursue proposals that meet specific policy goals in a more overarching capacity.
Beyond that, a "heat map" scorecard determines the exemption length and level a given proposal could receive — from 10 years at 50% up to 20 years or more at 75% — based on its volume of additional benefits.

Included among these are affordable housing, density, adaptive reuse of historic structures or proximity to public education or social services facilities.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... 2022-05-03
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm moving the 31st and Main building demolition situation, and future redevelopment, to its' own thread.

viewtopic.php?t=21311
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Old Davey’s Uptown space that burned out just at the start of Covid has a sign back up. Temporary sign says “Uptown Bar”.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Goonies wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:33 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 pm Old Davey’s Uptown space that burned out just at the start of Covid has a sign back up. Temporary sign says “Uptown Bar”.
Uptown Bar like the same one that was by iPho Tower on Broadway?
Couldn’t tell. I was thinking maybe the same as Daveys Uptown but a new owner minus Davey. I think I caught a martini glass on the sign. Could be wrong.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On a related tangent, before Crown Center and The Loop existed, the area around Union Station used to be considered Midtown and Uptown theatre area as Uptown. I think Fang has posted some old maps showing that.

Time to reconsider? I hear rumblings about this once in a while from boomers who grew up in the city. One downside is that the population of 'Greater Downtown' would 'shrink'. Either way there's confusion with Uptown now being within Midtown.

To me Midtown ends at about 45th or where Plaza starts and have heard 64111'rs claim they are the true Midtowners but this from flatlanders claims the below. What is the City boundary definition right now?
Last edited by earthling on Mon May 16, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think of Midtown as being State Line to Troost, 31st to 39th streets.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Which still includes the old 'Uptown'. Do you recall posting those old maps? Repost?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

It's like everything being "Brookside". I think when we get more people in the area and it starts to draw more attention, the smaller geographic area names will start to catch on to promote more exclusivity. So, Morningside will start pushing their name and area as more exclusive than Brookside and Uptown will start to be used more than the much larger Midtown area. On just a semantics case it seems Midtown should be between Downtown and Uptown but lots of these names never really make sense.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

earthling wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:13 pm ^Which still includes the old 'Uptown'. Do you recall posting those old maps? Repost?
There is no "uptown" neighborhood. The Uptown is an event/concert space on Broadway.
I've always assumed "Midtown is 31st to 39th - SW Tfwy to Troost.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Karambit25 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 pm There is no "uptown" neighborhood. The Uptown is an event/concert space on Broadway.
There's no "Brookside East" either. Doesn't mean it won't catch on.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

31st-39th: Midtown
39th-43rd: Westport
43rd-Volker: Plaza
Volker-55th: South Plaza/Crestwood
55th-Meyer: Brookside
Meyer-Gregory: Armour Hills
Gregory-75th: Waldo
75th-?: South Waldo
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Karambit25 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 pm
earthling wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:13 pm ^Which still includes the old 'Uptown'. Do you recall posting those old maps? Repost?
There is no "uptown" neighborhood. The Uptown is an event/concert space on Broadway.
Not today but when Midtown used to be defined around Union Station and pre-CC area, apparently up the hill used to be considered Uptown, not sure of Uptown boundaries back then.

And BTW, there's no single downtown neighborhood either. It's made up of many districts. Midtown wider definition today is as well - some say it's 64111, some have much larger definition others smaller. What's does the City consider Midtown boundaries today?
Last edited by earthling on Tue May 17, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

chaglang wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:58 am 31st-39th: Midtown
39th-43rd: Westport
43rd-Volker: Plaza
Volker-55th: South Plaza/Crestwood
55th-Meyer: Brookside
Meyer-Gregory: Armour Hills
Gregory-75th: Waldo
75th-?: South Waldo
South Waldo = 75th -435
South South Waldo = 435 - Blue Ridge Blvd
Then it’s Martin City
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

As far as I'm aware, this is the only "official" subdivision of the city into neighborhoods; it's used as the base for neighborhood designations on Google Maps, Nextdoor, etc.