Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by daGOAT »

Ayone wanna go protest? I'm in the city right now and am more than willing to stand in front of the corner structure for some days if need be. I'm really debating driving over there and making a stand.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Collison is reporting on Twitter:
For what it's worth, I could find no city demolition permit either applied for or issued for these properties. Historic KC is citing Union Hill neighborhood sources.
https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 0559165442
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Riverite wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:54 pm Have the price brothers done anything beneficial in the core?
They have done more demolishing and sitting on vacant land than actual development. They built the 46 Penn apartment building just north of the Plaza, and are currently building Midtown Crossing/West Plaza Flats, or whatever it is called. They have at least 4 different vacant lots I can think of around the Plaza which they have demoed buildings and have left sitting empty - some for at least 8 years.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Once again, I reiterate our right of protest. There's no reason enough time can't be bought to figure out how to save the corner property. The rest can be demolished, but that corner structure is the only remaining Queen Anne architecture in the city, at least that I can think of. It should at least be moved to another location. Will anyone take the time to make the stand?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Looking forward to seeing a fresh batch of surface lots immediately adjacent to our new streetcar line that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to build. Very good
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

So, we should all just talk about it online and not use our legal rights to make a difference?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Price Brothers development manager Kim told me that they are not involved with 31st and Main. I spoke to someone at Pyramid Co. as well who seemed a little nervous over the phone and tried to direct me to another extension that yields no answer. This whole thing seems a little shady.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Price Brothers seem like the worst people in this city. They won't even develop their empty Plaza lots either.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

With a little more research I find 31 Main LLC's address at 12721 Metcalf Ave which means the woman I spoke to more than likely lied to me. I'm gonna go out there and fight for the structure on the corner to be saved. I encourage the rest of you to do the same, before they get fencing up and make it impossible to legally battle this despicable flattening.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:15 pm With a little more research I find 31 Main LLC's address at 12721 Metcalf Ave which means the woman I spoke to more than likely lied to me. I'm gonna go out there and fight for the structure on the corner to be saved. I encourage the rest of you to do the same, before they get fencing up and make it impossible to legally battle this despicable flattening.
Are they really going to tear it down?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm Price Brothers development manager Kim told me that they are not involved with 31st and Main. I spoke to someone at Pyramid Co. as well who seemed a little nervous over the phone and tried to direct me to another extension that yields no answer. This whole thing seems a little shady.
From the KCMO parcel viewer (which may not be up to date), the owner of the lot these buildings sit on (WARWICK RIDGE---LOTS 38-46, 3037 Main St) is:

31 Main LLC
C/O Pricemgmtco
4310 Madison Ave Ste L103
Kansas City, MO 64111

Last two issued permits (which may be streetcar construction related?)
PW-EXC-2022-00999 PW - Excavation Water Main/Pipeline 2022-04-19 Issued
PW-EXC-2022-00065 PW - Excavation Water Main/Pipeline 2022-01-06 Issued
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:36 pm
daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm Price Brothers development manager Kim told me that they are not involved with 31st and Main. I spoke to someone at Pyramid Co. as well who seemed a little nervous over the phone and tried to direct me to another extension that yields no answer. This whole thing seems a little shady.
From the KCMO parcel viewer (which may not be up to date), the owner of the lot these buildings sit on (WARWICK RIDGE---LOTS 38-46, 3037 Main St) is:

31 Main LLC
C/O Pricemgmtco
Kansas City, MO 64111

To make it more apparent how she blatantly lied to me a google of their "address" is that of an attorney's office and not Price Brother's, whom she told me had split into two different factions. She literally told me they weren't involved lol. The reps from Pyramid also could not tell me when demolition would officially commence nor what building they would start with, the site is two of 3 buildings separated by a surface parking lot.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:50 pm

31 Main LLC
C/O Pricemgmtco
Kansas City, MO 64111

To make it more apparent how she blatantly lied to me a google of their "address" is that of an attorney's office and not Price Brother's, whom she told me had split into two different factions. She literally told me they weren't involved lol. The reps from Pyramid also could not tell me when demolition would officially commence nor what building they would start with, the site is two of 3 buildings separated by a surface parking lot.
They did not pick up when I tried calling. Left a message.

Would be a shame to lose this mural as well

daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

freedog wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:58 pm

31 Main LLC
C/O Pricemgmtco
Kansas City, MO 64111

They did not pick up when I tried calling. Left a message.

Would be a shame to lose this mural as well

It would be a travesty. There is no respect for the community in whatever is being planned long term, which is not surprising from a developer who specializes in marketing strip malls as villages. There is quite a bit of outrage against this proposal, and I think if the people come together, we can preserve some, if not all, of the remaining structures.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

31 Main LLC
C/O Pricemgmtco
Kansas City, MO 64111

Price did split apart along family lines. Parcel Viewer does not show the specific family member who controls each lot now. For example, one of the big Plaza parcels I know for a fact is controlled by the split off faction but shows as Price Brothers ownership
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Historic KC had like 4 years to move on this, what did they actually do, if anything?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:06 pm Ayone wanna go protest? I'm in the city right now and am more than willing to stand in front of the corner structure for some days if need be. I'm really debating driving over there and making a stand.
I'm flying out on a trip tonight otherwise I'd go there and stand with you
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:40 pm Historic KC had like 4 years to move on this, what did they actually do, if anything?
Nothing, they were likely fighting developers to adhere to the "character of the neighborhood" aka drawing things out 6+ months to get more parking and some half assed brickwork.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I just called Bunch's office. They are aware and have had a lot of people call in. No permits for demo of those buildings so at the very least it is not imminent within the next week.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:40 pm Historic KC had like 4 years to move on this, what did they actually do, if anything?
Historic KC is a toothless entity. They have never been able to evolve into an effective lobbying group so that they are proactive about things instead of reactive.