Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:02 pm Chris your post on the Armory Block Redevelopment at 3620 Main got me thinking of another Exact project on Main.

For the 3240 Main project, does anyone know if the ABC and Anderson Electric buildings were nominated for the National Register?

https://dnr.mo.gov/communications/news/ ... er-october
I imagine they were nominated. Hard to see why the State wouldn't do such a thing with them but I do wonder if the alterations that would be done to the ABC building (cutting new windows) would lead to limits in receiving HTCs. I know they were sensitive to a project I worked on in St. Louis that involved cutting a new window on a non-primary facade.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Didn't the River Market Cold Storage get HTCs? The building was basically a vault and they cut entire sides of the building with scores of windows.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:23 am Didn't the River Market Cold Storage get HTCs? The building was basically a vault and they cut entire sides of the building with scores of windows.
Yes and it was kind of unprecedented to get the new cut-in windows approved.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Salvation Army building just west of Linwood and Main now has a For Sale sign up and all SA signage has been removed. That intersection has seen a lot of activity lately with the funeral home, warehouse space and now SA all selling. The building is in good condition. All brick, 5 stories.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:07 pm Salvation Army building just west of Linwood and Main now has a For Sale sign up and all SA signage has been removed. That intersection has seen a lot of activity lately with the funeral home, warehouse space and now SA all selling. The building is in good condition. All brick, 5 stories.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/101-W-L ... /26930003/
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It's a nice looking building. Hope to see it renovated and those storefront windows put back!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:22 pm It's a nice looking building. Hope to see it renovated and those storefront windows put back!
My guess is that this probably turns into a bigger project with a new building built where the garage buildings are now. Definitely enough space there and very close to the streetcar extension. Wouldn't be surprised to see a small boutique hotel since there are many weddings at the Irish Cultural Center and events that would draw people to book stays.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Backs up to Old Hyde Park neighborhood association, one of the more hyper vigilant in guarding their borders.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:57 pm Backs up to Old Hyde Park neighborhood association, one of the more hyper vigilant in guarding their borders.
Guarding their borders from new development?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:07 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:57 pm Backs up to Old Hyde Park neighborhood association, one of the more hyper vigilant in guarding their borders.
Guarding their borders from new development?
They’re definitely more NIMBY style than some others
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

New residential project at 38th & Warwick

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... mmons.html
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Good to have additional density, but that is incredibly ugly and uninspired
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

To be fair it’ll be tucked behind a whole bunch of stuff back there so it won’t show much, and we’re getting more density out of it. Very solid win.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Good, less urban farms and more housing plz!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Would be cool if they kept the Cultivate KC urban farm on the roof of the building. The rooftop garden on 2nd & Delaware is a neat amenity
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:05 pm Good, less urban farms and more housing plz!
Agreed! Put food production where the land is cheap(er)!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Are they planning to do any public meetings? Seems an apt environment to try and adjust the look of this project, and possibly incorporate a rooftop garden?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I've been watching that parcel, knowing the plexpod company already owned it. Low key expected something to be announced. I hope the approval process can force some demands like less of a setback from Warwick for all that surface parking. At least find a way to hide it and make the front door interact with the street. Jeez. That rendering makes it look terrible.

Personally I would welcome more than three floors of density there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's amazing to me how ugly some of these new buildings are. Let's just hope that is a placeholder design.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

They can go taller & not need a podium still. Strange they went with 3 floors. Does this group have a history with new construction? They do not appear to be maximizing

Edit:

Looking at the site plan, are they trying to reuse the existing parking lot? 103 spaces for 100 units, I guess they can't build up without sacrificing the parking ratio or going structured. Not that I think they need 1-1 here but it might be required by a lender or equity provider.