Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by daGOAT »

I was always told midtown was 27th to 51st, roughly. Rainbow to Paseo.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Per Collison: LCRA board unanimously approves blight designation/plan for proposed $13M ABC Storage renovation project, first step toward seeking incentives and Council approval.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:37 pm Terra Management owns a couple houses and several adjacent vacant lots on the SE corner of 41st and Locust. I heard from a neighbor (questionable source) who said the plan is to demo the last couple standing houses and build apartments.

As far as I know, Terra has never done new construction. It does seem like they have been acquiring quite a few new properties around Midtown lately, a few of them would be good candidates for redevelopment. Perhaps they are going to get into new builds.
Well, it is not this lot, but there is a plan for 7 new construction homes on a nearby lot in Southmoreland at 42nd and Oak that appears to be owned by Terra Management.

Terra does own several other lots in the area. I will be curious to see what plans may be in store for those.

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

What a great bit of development news on World Cup eve!

-Transit oriented
-370 to 390 units
-On streetcar line

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... kcata.html
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Last edited by Cratedigger on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

2019 article?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Ah shoot, saw a Collison tweet and got excited. Nevermind
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Mayor Q just tweeted about how Midtown needs more population.

Maybe he’ll realize we need to being back Mac!

https://twitter.com/quintonlucaskc/stat ... CvwD0FanMA
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like Canary is closed after a staff walkout. Bummer. This was one of my favorite spots/rooftops in KC

https://www.thepitchkc.com/midtown-roof ... its-doors/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sounds like new owners were the problem.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Fountains wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:46 pm I see Doug Price said he will not improve the buildings on 31st & Main. Will wait to demolish them.
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Port KC and Sunflower Development should team up and make an offer for the land and buildings and just buy Price out. Sunflower has experience rescuing old buildings and incorporating them into new development. They would probably complete a project well before Price would anyway.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:01 am Port KC and Sunflower Development should team up and make an offer for the land and buildings and just buy Price out. Sunflower has experience rescuing old buildings and incorporating them into new development. They would probably complete a project well before Price would anyway.
Wouldn’t they want a premium? They already paid too much for the 19th & Grand property — which means it will sit for a long time before any development occurs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you are talking about Doug Price, my understanding is that he purchased the 31st and Main properties at a bankruptcy auction, so I imagine he got them fairly cheaply. PortKC/Sunflower could probably make him a decent offer where he could make some money on the property and get out of what might become a hostile development situation. Sunflower has more experience in adaptive reuse projects, and PortKC is better at the PR side of things.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I heard a number that was shockingly low. There's someone on this board who could quote the exact number I heard as I forget what it was. Less than a SFH.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:44 pm I heard a number that was shockingly low. There's someone on this board who could quote the exact number I heard as I forget what it was. Less than a SFH.
I know what it is because I shared it at the small meeting a few weeks back, but I’ve been advised by those close to me not to share it publicly even if I do want to put some shame out there. I will say that the number for the land was so low, it was laughable. Honestly, for the cost it was bought for, you could do significant structural work and likely not meet the price you’d get from buying the land at market rate.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Curious, if Doug or another came with financing for the tower, would demo be supported?

I don’t want to see more surface lots but am fine with something getting built there if there was a real proposal
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:02 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:44 pm I heard a number that was shockingly low. There's someone on this board who could quote the exact number I heard as I forget what it was. Less than a SFH.
I know what it is because I shared it at the small meeting a few weeks back, but I’ve been advised by those close to me not to share it publicly even if I do want to put some shame out there. I will say that the number for the land was so low, it was laughable. Honestly, for the cost it was bought for, you could do significant structural work and likely not meet the price you’d get from buying the land at market rate.
It was in a KCBJ article a while back. He bought them for $25,000 in an online bankruptcy sale about five years ago.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

These auctions really drive down the cost of properties mostly because only a few people know when/where they are or miss the date of the auction. Can't we put in place that auction properties have to be put to the market first? I'm positive if they put a price board on the side of that building that actually showed the price of $25,000 that it would have sold for much more than that and to someone who would care about the area.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris your post on the Armory Block Redevelopment at 3620 Main got me thinking of another Exact project on Main.

For the 3240 Main project, does anyone know if the ABC and Anderson Electric buildings were nominated for the National Register?

https://dnr.mo.gov/communications/news/ ... er-october