2019 Mayor/Council Elections

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Post Reply
flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7865
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by flyingember » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 am
I like Brandon, but he has not been able to collaborate in the Legislature (which means he probably won't collaborate with the new council). He has no legislative wins to speak of.
To be fair, when the legislature is 70% one party, collaboration is hard for the other party.
Justus has been mentioned as taking years to get single wins when she was

But it's a good point

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by tower » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm

So, since Shields will almost certainly win 4th-at-large (based on primary results), is there any good reason to not just write in a candidate in protest? I don't really like Westfall, based on what I've read, and even if he got all of Strassle's votes, he would still lose by a 3-1 margin. I would probably write in Matt Staub.

swid
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm
Location: Financial District

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by swid » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:43 pm

There's no space to enter a write-in vote on this election's ballots.

(Source: me, as I voted absentee on Saturday.)

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by tower » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Well damn, looks like I'm voting for Westfall. Unfortunately, I don't really think he is any better than Shields.

Thanks for the info.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4834
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by beautyfromashes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:48 pm

I still don’t know how no one on this board ran against Shields! I’m disappointed in all of you.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17691
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm

tower wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm
So, since Shields will almost certainly win 4th-at-large (based on primary results), is there any good reason to not just write in a candidate in protest? I don't really like Westfall, based on what I've read, and even if he got all of Strassle's votes, he would still lose by a 3-1 margin. I would probably write in Matt Staub.
You'd be better off voting for Westfall. Write-ins never win.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17691
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:48 pm
I still don’t know how no one on this board ran against Shields! I’m disappointed in all of you.
Lots of people waiting in the wings that never pulled the trigger (or they pulled the trigger but switched when Jolie switched). Also, Shields will breaking your fucking knees (or so they say).

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by tower » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:57 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm
tower wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm
So, since Shields will almost certainly win 4th-at-large (based on primary results), is there any good reason to not just write in a candidate in protest? I don't really like Westfall, based on what I've read, and even if he got all of Strassle's votes, he would still lose by a 3-1 margin. I would probably write in Matt Staub.
You'd be better off voting for Westfall. Write-ins never win.
1%≈.01%

I'd love to be be proven wrong, but she got 72% of the votes in the primary, even running against two opponents that are very different from each other. Most people couldn't even get re-elected dogcatcher by that margin. I can't fathom why, but people do seem to like Shields.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17691
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Name recognition.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Polls are closed!

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by kboish » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm

So where is the best place online to watch returns roll in?

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

kboish wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm
So where is the best place online to watch returns roll in?
Election Board websites and Twitter.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:08 pm

normalthings wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm
kboish wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm
So where is the best place online to watch returns roll in?
Election Board websites and Twitter.
Early results show Jolie winning and Q1 loosing.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:31 pm

normalthings wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:08 pm
normalthings wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm
kboish wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm
So where is the best place online to watch returns roll in?
Election Board websites and Twitter.
Early results show Jolie winning and Q1 loosing.
Looks like Jackson County has swayed the race to Quinten.

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by alejandro46 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Almost every candidate has prioritized "Affordable" housing as being a top priority. I wish we could revise that to be "Affordable ACCESSIBLE housing." I'm not clear exactly what Mayor Elect Lucas proposes to do to make transit more usable for the general public other than just "fix potholes."

User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Vicenza, IT

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:06 am

What’s the likelihood that Lucas prioritizes public transit as part of his tenure? From what I’ve seen he’s not nearly as much of an advocate as Justus was.
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3635
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by chaglang » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:49 am

Congrats to 4th District councilman Eric Bunch! Haha, what a world.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3719
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by WSPanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:35 am

chaglang wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:49 am
Congrats to 4th District councilman Eric Bunch! Haha, what a world.
This. Nice to see this happen. I feel like Jolley out-mailed Eric by 10-1 (based on my recycling bin).

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4834
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by beautyfromashes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 am

chaglang wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:49 am
Congrats to 4th District councilman Eric Bunch! Haha, what a world.
What committee assignments should he get? Obviously, transportation would be right in his wheelhouse (perhaps as committee chair?), but I’d really like to see him in Planning & Zoning.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29656
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by KCPowercat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I just realized the kcmodot idea is dead

Post Reply