OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

Bryant said discussions are ongoing with a potential bank to locate at the northwest corner.
Sounds like they have a potential tenant for one of the proposed new construction buildings.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Grand Place, Historic KC Star Redevelopment, Tweaks Design, Opening Fall 2021

https://cityscenekc.com/grand-place-hi ... fall-2021/
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Super dumb question, but did I read somewhere that there will be "private baths" in the lower level of this development or did I randomly dream this? If I actually did read that correctly (and clearly I can't think of the source), then what does a "private bath" entail...?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

atticus23 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm Super dumb question, but did I read somewhere that there will be "private baths" in the lower level of this development or did I randomly dream this? If I actually did read that correctly (and clearly I can't think of the source), then what does a "private bath" entail...?
Men’s only spa and barber
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:05 pm
atticus23 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm Super dumb question, but did I read somewhere that there will be "private baths" in the lower level of this development or did I randomly dream this? If I actually did read that correctly (and clearly I can't think of the source), then what does a "private bath" entail...?
Men’s only spa and barber
Interesting and thank you!
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I'm a little surprised the tweaked plans included more office space, given Covid-19 and its effects on work-from-home growth.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

From AREA leasing documents:

"Purchase of the buildings and parcels occurred on September 1, 2017. Interior demolition of both the east and west buildings was completed in January 2020. Incentives were approved in October 2018. Renovation of the historical buildings core and shell started in August of 2019 with completion by June 2021. Underground garage construction is expected to start in September 2020 with a completion date in June 2021. Occupancy of the historic building is planned for second quarter 2021. The timeline could move forward or back based on pre-development accomplishments."
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TRIA Healthcare of OP will take 17,000 at the Grand when it opens in late 2021. The firm expects to double its footprint there within a few years. Bryant projects to open roughly 50% leased.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Addition + Change of Occupancy Permit submitted.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

Video shows the interior is still empty, over three years later.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 am https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

I was in that building a year ago. It's a big project and will take time, not to mention the uncertain times and questions about how quickly space will lease up. This project will likely put "The Parlor" out of business.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 am https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

I was in that building a year ago. It's a big project and will take time, not to mention the uncertain times and questions about how quickly space will lease up. This project will likely put "The Parlor" out of business.
My understanding is that this was supposed to be more of a marketplace similar to the Ferry Building Market in San Francisco with many different food vendors and restaurants. https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

The "Parlor" is more of a singular but relatively quaint bar that has what are essentially food trucks located indoors. I really enjoyed the Parlor on my one trip there and hope there's enough of a market to keep it open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dcole have you been to parlor?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm

My understanding is that this was supposed to be more of a marketplace similar to the Ferry Building Market in San Francisco with many different food vendors and restaurants. https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

The "Parlor" is more of a singular but relatively quaint bar that has what are essentially food trucks located indoors. I really enjoyed the Parlor on my one trip there and hope there's enough of a market to keep it open.
Grand Place is very similar to the Foundry in Saint Louis. I’d agree that there is a lot of overlap.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Additional shell work is being priced on this building but the GC has no info on the interior. My hope is the food court goes away. Any large food hall downtown should be part of or near the City Market.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am Additional shell work is being priced on this building but the GC has no info on the interior. My hope is the food court goes away. Any large food hall downtown should be part of or near the City Market.
The best way to grow downtown is to demand everything be everywhere, to not think that somehow certain amenities must be in specific places.

This is how mixed use thrives, by letting the market decide

Crown Center has a food court and people visit it just fine.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

flyingember wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:44 am
Rabble wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am Additional shell work is being priced on this building but the GC has no info on the interior. My hope is the food court goes away. Any large food hall downtown should be part of or near the City Market.
The best way to grow downtown is to demand everything be everywhere, to not think that somehow certain amenities must be in specific places.

This is how mixed use thrives, by letting the market decide

Crown Center has a food court and people visit it just fine.
Yes, but if the goal of this city would be to create one downtown neighborhood with real urban density it would start with the River Market. A food hall connected to the City Market would help make the area a major attraction.

I don't see much energy near the old Star building, just surface lots and Scientologists. Where is the demand? Do Scientologists even eat?

And I forget about Crown Center's food court the same way I forget about Oak Park Mall's.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31 am Yes, but if the goal of this city would be to create one downtown neighborhood with real urban density it would start with the River Market. A food hall connected to the City Market would help make the area a major attraction.

I don't see much energy near the old Star building, just surface lots and Scientologists. Where is the demand? Do Scientologists even eat?

And I forget about Crown Center's food court the same way I forget about Oak Park Mall's.
You don't see much energy *yet*
The owner clearly sees a lack of options in the area and feels like they can make money by being the first of something in that area.

And "Do Scientologists Eat" ignores the brand new apartments one block to the west. It's not like this development would only serve people across the street.

As for your overall goal, you're acting as if there's some giant master plan the city has control over. That couldn't be further from the truth. The city enables development, the owner has to then choose to develop the property.
The city has no reason why they shouldn't accept development projects that meet city standards anywhere downtown at any time. If the city only chose to approve projects in the river market it could be waiting decades for projects to complete.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think a Food Hall/Court at Grand Place will be good for the neighborhood. Forget about the Scientologists. The surrounding neighborhood has seen quite the increase in apartments in the past few years (Reverb, City Club, and Artistry being the closest) and this is expected to continue. Not to mention you have some small offices popping up around the Crossroads. With the Crossroads continuing to grow and becoming a great place to live, the Food Hall/Court at Grand Place should work out just fine and be an asset to the neighborhood rather than a nuisance. Surely it will be popular.

And by time it opens, there will most likely be other projects underway that will add more housing and workplaces within the vicinity. And let's not forget about the streetcar. That's perhaps the biggest new asset KC has for connecting lots of neighborhoods together. Nearest stop is "Crossroads" at 19th and Main. That's about 3 blocks away, so people could, and most likely will, take that from Downtown or the River Market to go to Grand Place.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Work starting soon on a 25,000 sqft tenant build out. I thought I read second floor at one point but I can't find it now. Tria was reported to be renting 17,000 sqft so not sure if this is them or not