OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:49 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:15 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:00 pm think a Chicken N Pickle type of setup, a smaller "urban footprint" one with yard games, courts etc. would do great down in the crossroads.
Isn't that under construction next to City Club?
I honestly don’t know. I don’t think so but could be wrong. But if it is kudos to them as I feel the concept would do well
Village Square.

Dog Daycare/Run
Boutique Office
City Coffee + Ice Cream
Pickle Ball

https://www.dream-design-develop.com/_f ... 1d5b9a.pdf
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Exciting development plans, I didn't see pickle ball, but perhaps just overlooked it and or could not tell if it was just some courts or a whole entertainment concept like Chicken n Pickle. Either way I love the infill plan and mixed use proposed. Will really fill in more the cross roads with businesses and residents.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

So they’re building a new building before working on the existing, vacant, building? Odd.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It might be easier to lure a tenant to a new building built to tenant specs than filling the old building with various tenants fit to specific spaces.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Especially given they wanted and we allowed them a drive thru
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

BOK Financial bought their parcel at Grand Place and will share amenities.

BOK Financial Building New Crossroads Offices at 17th and Grand
BOK Financial has purchased part of the Grand Place redevelopment site near 17th and Grand in the Crossroads and plans to build a 10,000 square-foot branch bank there.
“The bank fits exactly the size and scale of what we wanted on that northwest corner,” said Vince Bryant of 3D Development. “We sold that lot to them and it will still be part of our campus and shared amenities.”
The project, which is expected to open in early 2023, will feature a full-service banking center, offices for the BOK Financial Corporate Trust division, as well as a large presentation room with access to an outdoor entertainment space overlooking downtown Kansas City.
Two years ago, 3D announced that Overland Park-based Tria Health would be its first tenant, occupying about 17,600 square feet.

Bryant said he’s in negotiations with eight potential additional tenants and expects to have additional announcements in the next few months.
https://cityscenekc.com/bok-financial-b ... ORVX_kv83o
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Why are they leaving a surface lot open in the grand re-design of this area?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I'm in KC visiting, got the chance to drive by. There was about half a dozen trucks and SUV's parked on the south end by the front doors, which were open atm. Construction may resume fr this time.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:59 pm BOK Financial bought their parcel at Grand Place and will share amenities.

BOK Financial Building New Crossroads Offices at 17th and Grand
BOK Financial has purchased part of the Grand Place redevelopment site near 17th and Grand in the Crossroads and plans to build a 10,000 square-foot branch bank there.
“The bank fits exactly the size and scale of what we wanted on that northwest corner,” said Vince Bryant of 3D Development. “We sold that lot to them and it will still be part of our campus and shared amenities.”
The project, which is expected to open in early 2023, will feature a full-service banking center, offices for the BOK Financial Corporate Trust division, as well as a large presentation room with access to an outdoor entertainment space overlooking downtown Kansas City.
Two years ago, 3D announced that Overland Park-based Tria Health would be its first tenant, occupying about 17,600 square feet.

Bryant said he’s in negotiations with eight potential additional tenants and expects to have additional announcements in the next few months.
https://cityscenekc.com/bok-financial-b ... ORVX_kv83o
BOK has formally requested a Special Use Permit for a drive-through facility.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I hope it is formally declined.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I don’t understand why can’t we get new developments with ground floor retail? I’m at the point where I’d almost just rather keep the surface lot and wait it out for someone who will do it with retail.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

If they want to do business they have to respect the will of the neighborhood. Hopefully they are reasonable and consider alternatives.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

renovation permit for Tria Health was officially applied for
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Rabble wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31 am Yes, but if the goal of this city would be to create one downtown neighborhood with real urban density it would start with the River Market. A food hall connected to the City Market would help make the area a major attraction.

I don't see much energy near the old Star building, just surface lots and Scientologists. Where is the demand? Do Scientologists even eat?

And I forget about Crown Center's food court the same way I forget about Oak Park Mall's.
Rabble is absolutely right. I hope the market concept is killed. KC has one of the finest city markets in the country- in a wonderful river market district- which *should* be shining jewel of KC for tourists. It would be insane to drive people to another market across the city instead of synergy in river market with the River Market having looooads of potential.

Also, if you're gonna make an indoor market- do it in the abandoned Steamboat Arabia museum now so City Market can grow with it and create one of the top tourist locations of the Midwest.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They can have an indoor market but it should be more like a flea market atmosphere where people are selling wares they make themselves (art, clothing, jewelry, furniture, etc.).
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I thought they were going for more of a Grand Central Market vibe.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:00 am They can have an indoor market but it should be more like a flea market atmosphere where people are selling wares they make themselves (art, clothing, jewelry, furniture, etc.).
Fang I'd still much rather have this connected with City Market. And if they really wanna do it, just do it inside Steamboat Arabia now. That whole area would blow off the charts if they could do this. Why do we always have this mindset to split up our assets?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:00 am They can have an indoor market but it should be more like a flea market atmosphere where people are selling wares they make themselves (art, clothing, jewelry, furniture, etc.).
Fang I'd still much rather have this connected with City Market. And if they really wanna do it, just do it inside Steamboat Arabia now. That whole area would blow off the charts if they could do this. Why do we always have this mindset to split up our assets?
Would be a great concept for the Arabia space for sure.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Travel nursing company moving in June 1, 2023

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... lease.html
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Just glad things are still happening there. Seems like it has been a while in the making. A lot of starts & stops. Or maybe just stuff you could not really tell was going down