Poll: Does the Plaza need a drastic change, some change or on the right path?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.

Does the Plaza need a drastic change or on the right path?

Keep it as is - almost entirely as a shopping/restaurant mall district.
10%
Mix things up just a little more such as adding neighborhood amenities, broader nightlife, lighter eats.
42%
In addition to above, needs a bit less mall focus, pedestrian only street, residential within.
40%
Don't care.
7%
Other
1%

Total votes: 88

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Poll: Does the Plaza need a drastic change, some change or on the right path?

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:15 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:08 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:45 pm The Plaza still gets alot of foot traffic daily. The stores are fine. They just need to make a pedestrian-only street and convert the tennis courts into development.
It's not near as busy as it used to be based on my past 5-6 visits to KC. It still probably has the most in KC though outside Sundays in the River Market or something like that.

And I would agree that developing the tennis courts and connecting the streetcar to the core of the plaza with a nice pedestrian friendly corridor would be great. Not sure it has much of a chance of ever happening though.
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:07 pm Why is a theatre needed?
It's not "needed", I just think it would help bring more people into the area and there is plenty of room for one.
I think I see what you are getting at.

I would suggest an activity center like golf swing suites or soccer kick would be best. Downtown could really use onw
I'm surprised there is not a top golf type place in the west bottoms. Baltimore is building one next to the stadiums. Nashville has one near downtown I think. Pretty sure StL is building one in their urban core.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Poll: Does the Plaza need a drastic change, some change or on the right path?

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:15 pm

It's not near as busy as it used to be based on my past 5-6 visits to KC. It still probably has the most in KC though outside Sundays in the River Market or something like that.

And I would agree that developing the tennis courts and connecting the streetcar to the core of the plaza with a nice pedestrian friendly corridor would be great. Not sure it has much of a chance of ever happening though.

It's not "needed", I just think it would help bring more people into the area and there is plenty of room for one.
I think I see what you are getting at.

I would suggest an activity center like golf swing suites or soccer kick would be best. Downtown could really use onw
I'm surprised there is not a top golf type place in the west bottoms. Baltimore is building one next to the stadiums. Nashville has one near downtown I think. Pretty sure StL is building one in their urban core.
I think you are right on all.

Midtown HomeDepot would be a fun location. Penn Valley park maybe. West Bottoms also a good one if the stadiums don’t go down there
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Why is the Plaza needed?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:45 pm The Plaza still gets alot of foot traffic daily. The stores are fine. They just need to make a pedestrian-only street and convert the tennis courts into development.

The theater was the major reason I went to the Plaza regularly, which lead to Barnes & Noble visits before or after. Since it closed, I haven't been going at all. People don't realize how devoid of movie theaters KCMO is in Jackson County. There are no indoor movie theaters in the area east of Main Street to Crysler Avenue in Independence between the riverfront and north of I-470 and I-435. That is an area in size that San Francisco could fit into TWICE. I would also go to the Plaza before/after going to the Tivoli in Westport before it closed. A lot of moviegoers went to restaurants as well -- especially on dates.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

^ I agree and had the same experience, but I fear that theaters can't make it anymore, unless they are nonprofit.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

cityscenekc wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:52 pm Here's where you can get involved: https://cityscenekc.com/civic-leaders-p ... r-century/
Step one should be to remove the plaza tennis center and make Nichols a pedestrian corridor all the way to Brookside Blvd (the streetcar stop). That would mean the new development replacing the tennis courts needs to also include a pedestrian corridor. Leaving the tennis courts would be better than just throwing up a 5 over one monstrosity to walk around there.

Modify the buildings west of Baltimore to have a pedestrian corridor go through there and for the love of god narrow Baltimore south of 47th and urbanize that corridor.

This is just terrible:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0415429 ... 384!8i8192

You could really do something amazing with those blocks between the streetcar stop and Wyandotte that will give the Plaza a brand new entryway. But is there any chance of that happening at all?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:33 pm
cityscenekc wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:52 pm Here's where you can get involved: https://cityscenekc.com/civic-leaders-p ... r-century/
Step one should be to remove the plaza tennis center and make Nichols a pedestrian corridor all the way to Brookside Blvd (the streetcar stop). That would mean the new development replacing the tennis courts needs to also include a pedestrian corridor. Leaving the tennis courts would be better than just throwing up a 5 over one monstrosity to walk around there.

Modify the buildings west of Baltimore to have a pedestrian corridor go through there and for the love of god narrow Baltimore south of 47th and urbanize that corridor.

This is just terrible:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0415429 ... 384!8i8192

You could really do something amazing with those blocks between the streetcar stop and Wyandotte that will give the Plaza a brand new entryway. But is there any chance of that happening at all?
Why not just work to make the Ward Parkway sidewalk to the immediate north of the tennis courts more pedestrian friendly? Great view of Brush Creek and the South Plaza area. Wider sidewalks + some trees would be infinitely easier/cheaper than reworking an existing building and controlling the build of a new development. Plus this seems to be where the city is already planning to route people.

Leaving the tennis courts would be better than just throwing up a 5 over one monstrosity to walk around there.
Completely agree. I'd be SHOCKED if that happens though. The tennis courts are going to be more of a fight than a lot on this board realize. This will have to be a special development to get the buy in needed
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm Completely agree. I'd be SHOCKED if that happens though. The tennis courts are going to be more of a fight than a lot on this board realize. This will have to be a special development to get the buy in needed
Agreed, the tennis courts are going to a strong Save the Plaza rallying point.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

smh wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:42 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm Completely agree. I'd be SHOCKED if that happens though. The tennis courts are going to be more of a fight than a lot on this board realize. This will have to be a special development to get the buy in needed
Agreed, the tennis courts are going to a strong Save the Plaza rallying point.
Rooftop of the new development then?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm Why not just work to make the Ward Parkway sidewalk to the immediate north of the tennis courts more pedestrian friendly? Great view of Brush Creek and the South Plaza area. Wider sidewalks + some trees would be infinitely easier/cheaper than reworking an existing building and controlling the build of a new development. Plus this seems to be where the city is already planning to route people.

Leaving the tennis courts would be better than just throwing up a 5 over one monstrosity to walk around there.
Completely agree. I'd be SHOCKED if that happens though. The tennis courts are going to be more of a fight than a lot on this board realize. This will have to be a special development to get the buy in needed
I'm sure the Ward Parkway route is about all that will ever happen. But it would be pretty amazing to build a pedestrian corridor from the streetcar to Nichols road. I don't see the tennis courts going anywhere though.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't think the plan was to just gut the tennis courts. I personally love the touch of having the courts there. The plan floated was to build them on the roof of a new development on that site. Win win for everyone.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And an opportunity for both indoor/outdoor courts as well as other indoor recreation on another floor. Perhaps move Plaza Library there as well given easier access from streetcar than current location. A coffee shop and small market at ground level would be icing on cake. Design as a welcoming gateway into Plaza from streetcar stop.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Could you put a small arena on the tennis court space? Something small that could be indoor tennis courts during the week and UMKC basketball on the weekends? Small concerts. Graduation, etc.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It really could be an iconic tennis court to hold tournaments at if it's rooftop with a view of the Plaza. I don't see what rationale person would be against that.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just remember that the tennis courts are on dedicated parkland and controlled by the City's Parks Board. Just another layer of government to contend with.