World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:58 pm It's just all over the fucking place and I can't get a read on it- I just assume were gonna get fucked.
Spoken like a true Missouri Show-Me-Stater. I think we’ve probably lost this one too.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If Qatar can host the World Cup, Kansas City can host the World Cup, it just takes lots of bribes
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:50 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:58 pm It's just all over the fucking place and I can't get a read on it- I just assume were gonna get fucked.
Spoken like a true Missouri Show-Me-Stater. I think we’ve probably lost this one too.
KC is still very much in consideration by FIFA. Just wait until next month, we'll know for sure.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If only I was from Missouri :P
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:18 pm
If only I was from Missouri :P
You seem to be integrating very well. :)
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Announcement of host cities pushed back to early-June
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Link2 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:36 pm Announcement of host cities pushed back to early-June
Source?
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:23 pm
Link2 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:36 pm Announcement of host cities pushed back to early-June
Source?
FIFA
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It's official:

Baltimore & DC are merging their bids as one host city now- DC will do the fan events, and Baltimore will host the games at its stadium.

This does make it *slightly* easier now for KC to get a bid, given that the total cities will now drop from 17 to 16 now vying for the 10-11 spots.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimor ... p/39788185
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:27 pm It's official:

Baltimore & DC are merging their bids as one host city now- DC will do the fan events, and Baltimore will host the games at its stadium.

This does make it *slightly* easier now for KC to get a bid, given that the total cities will now drop from 17 to 16 now vying for the 10-11 spots.

So basically right back where we were now?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:42 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:27 pm It's official:

So basically right back where we were now?
Not really because the expectation that only one of the two would get games.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I know that some of the KC officials luring Fifa were trying to pitch the south loop cap as part of their package. They should probably let Fifa know now. Even if you dont think it'll be fully ready, just tell them. We need anything to add to our chances
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Grant Wahl has a long breakdown on host cities. It’s behind a paywall so I’m not going to post it all. Here’s a bit of what he says about kc
So now we’re at seven of the 10 host cities. The biggest question at this point is how much sway do two long-time NFL owners who helped start MLS have on the process? We’re talking about Bob Kraft (Boston) and the Hunt family (Kansas City). Kraft was the honorary chair of the World Cup bid itself, and a few months ago he was spotted talking with FIFA president Gianni Infantino at an NFL game. I’m also hearing that Dan Flynn is pushing for the Hunt family and Kansas City based on the Hunts’ history with soccer.

But it’s a tough call. Based on what I’ve written so far, three of these five cities would be chosen:

Baltimore/Washington D.C. (now a joint bid)

Boston

Kansas City

Philadelphia

Seattle
Spoiler: he predicts kc to get a spot but with not much confidence.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:24 am Grant Wahl has a long breakdown on host cities. It’s behind a paywall so I’m not going to post it all. Here’s a bit of what he says about kc
So now we’re at seven of the 10 host cities. The biggest question at this point is how much sway do two long-time NFL owners who helped start MLS have on the process? We’re talking about Bob Kraft (Boston) and the Hunt family (Kansas City). Kraft was the honorary chair of the World Cup bid itself, and a few months ago he was spotted talking with FIFA president Gianni Infantino at an NFL game. I’m also hearing that Dan Flynn is pushing for the Hunt family and Kansas City based on the Hunts’ history with soccer.

But it’s a tough call. Based on what I’ve written so far, three of these five cities would be chosen:

Baltimore/Washington D.C. (now a joint bid)

Boston

Kansas City

Philadelphia

Seattle
Spoiler: he predicts kc to get a spot but with not much confidence.
Just finished reading the full article.

Sounds like FIFA's issue with Boston is that the stadium is way too far away in Foxborough. I always wondered about this as well, because it's ridiculously far away for fans, but everyone just always brushed it off with "well Kraft led the USA 2026 bid so he has to get it" because outside of that there's no logic for it.

It also sounds like FIFA may be viewing the Baltimore/DC bid in a similar manner to Boston, where it's kind of annoying that they want to hold events on The Mall in DC but then stadium options are 45 mins away in Baltimore. I'm gonna guess that DC became aware they were for sure *not* gonna be able to host if the games were at FedEx Field and that's why the sudden shift to Baltimore happened to give them some hope.

I can see where FIFA would find Boston & DC/Baltimores stadium situation to be an annoyance. Which makes sense they'd lean to Philly, Seattle & KC for their last three spots.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

If Vancouver does indeed get one of the Canada cities, I’d kind of guess Seattle doesn’t. They’re only 2 hours apart.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 am If Vancouver does indeed get one of the Canada cities, I’d kind of guess Seattle doesn’t. They’re only 2 hours apart.
It’s honestly such a tossup at this point as to who gets games with the 5 cities above. Hopefully we can squeeze in!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:07 am It’s honestly such a tossup at this point as to who gets games with the 5 cities above. Hopefully we can squeeze in!
As we get closer to the decision and word starts leaking out, I’d guess you’ll start to see some major scrambling; cities bonding together like Baltimore/DC did. Orlando will try to combine with Miami (through probably Miami balls at that), Houston and Dallas will realize both won’t make it and join for one Texas bid, Seattle/Vancouver makes a joint city/country bid and talks about unity, Philadelphia plays up 150 years. I don’t know what KC can add to their bid
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The most surprising thing in that whole article was him saying Denver basically has no chance. They must’ve really fucked up.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

He posted that part publicly so I'll post that here:
Cincinnati. Not a great facility with Paul Brown Stadium. Bid hasn’t had much traction.

Denver. Underwhelming host committee. I thought Denver would be a lock since it’s the only city bidding from the Mountain time zone, but I’m told that’s not a major factor after all.

Nashville. The Music City was at one point thought of as a near-lock, but the decision to pursue building a new NFL stadium that wouldn’t open until the 2026 season threw a major wrench into things. One person I spoke to said they wouldn’t be surprised to see Nashville be awarded the World Cup draw.

Orlando. The feeling is that just one Florida city will get games, and while I’m told Miami’s presentation was surprisingly unconvincing, it’s still Miami, and it’s likely to get the nod over Orlando.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:14 pm The most surprising thing in that whole article was him saying Denver basically has no chance. They must’ve really fucked up.
altitude.