World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by langosta »

Hard to build BRT or LRT to stadiums that might not be there in 10 years
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:44 am Hard to build BRT or LRT to stadiums that might not be there in 10 years
Was thinking more about BRT to KCI etc. Or BRT to the eastern suburbs where the stadiums were just a benefit. That's kind of my point that anything done should be more of a community investment that also benefits the WC. And like I said, can they at least get 70 rebuilt, can they at least try and get the Adams Mark re-opened?

It would really help if the Chiefs and Royals expedited and made public their ultimate plans so that other things could move forward.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:56 am
langosta wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:44 am Hard to build BRT or LRT to stadiums that might not be there in 10 years
Was thinking more about BRT to KCI etc. Or BRT to the eastern suburbs where the stadiums were just a benefit. That's kind of my point that anything done should be more of a community investment that also benefits the WC. And like I said, can they at least get 70 rebuilt, can they at least try and get the Adams Mark re-opened?

It would really help if the Chiefs and Royals expedited and made public their ultimate plans so that other things could move forward.
It takes 10 years to build light rail in the US and 4 to build KC style BRT. Unless we 100% self funded we would have had to start before the US even knew it would be a host. Use these mega scale events to build infrastructure to help host the next event.

Why open the Adams mark for stadiums that may be gone in 10 years? Why have the city pay to improve the look of the interstate when it doesn’t meet any of their stated goals (alternative transit, climate, density, etc)?

There are community investments being made around town related to WC. South Loop Cap Park, Woman’s Soccer Stadium, KCI Transit study, East/West Study etc.

West Bottoms is getting cleaned up and redeveloped as is the Riverfront. East Village may or may not be an impressive construction site at that time.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ mainly because that part of KC from downtown to the east just feels really run down in almost every way. Everything from the infrastructure, to deteriorating built environment to landscaping.

It's just a very depressing part of metro KC. I just wish it could be cleaned up and modernized. Maybe it's just not possible for various reasons, but it's just not a good look for the city. KC looks very run down when anywhere near the stadiums or entering downtown from the stadiums. Hell, even the skyline looks like it has not changed since 1960 when approaching it from the east for the most part, not that much can be done about that.

While I want I-70 rebuilt with transit options etc, it looks like it has not been touched in 40 years west 435 and just makes KC feel very old and run down like the city died long ago. IDK, just hoping for reasons to clean some of that up. I guess I'm hoping for too much.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Almost like paving over all of the Black business districts to build I-70 had the effect of throwing the area into a long-term decline. (I know we know this, just restating because it is always important to remember!)
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Look for 6-9 matches hosted in KC + multiple base camps. There is still a possibility for some larger infra projects to get announced as a a"legacy" of the games
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:30 pm Look for 6-9 matches hosted in KC + multiple base camps. There is still a possibility for some larger infra projects to get announced as a a"legacy" of the games
Other than 670 cap what other projects?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:40 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:30 pm Look for 6-9 matches hosted in KC + multiple base camps. There is still a possibility for some larger infra projects to get announced as a a"legacy" of the games
Other than 670 cap what other projects?
UL has some stuff in the works. Nothing super formal yet, and we still need to meet with some stakeholders, but it would be an absolutely great improvement to an important space in KC
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Pretty interesting article. https://theathletic.com/5065143/2023/11 ... -cup-2026/
How are things going with planning for the World Cup?

They’re going well. If you’ve spoken to other host cities, I think everyone’s in a different state of planning right now. I think that we are perhaps slightly behind, if you will, some other host cities in some respects, and then ahead in other respects. We’ve got a key series of meetings with FIFA in early December, and I think all of us are collectively hopeful that we come out of that with some information that will help us really propel through the next phase of planning.

Kansas City, specifically, we are still working on operationalizing the entity (and) securing access to some funding that we have in place. But as you can imagine, when there’s public funding involved, it’s a little more complicated than just depositing into a bank account. So, we’re working through some of those operations that will position us to be able to build out the team that is going to be really focused on all of the planning aspects of the event.
How do you envision Sporting KC and Kansas City Current’s stadiums and facilities being used?

So, yes – our goal is to potentially utilize both their training facility and the competition venue. We are in a little bit of a holding pattern right now because we don’t know what the NWSL is going to do during the tournament. I think there’s obviously an assumption that MLS will pause and not play during that time. I don’t know what the NWSL is going to do.
Have there been any conversations in Kansas City about being part of a U.S./Mexico bid for the Women’s World Cup in 2027?

I just had a conversation about this on my all-host city call this morning. I have not been intimately involved in dialogue around bidding for the Women’s World Cup. I do know, obviously, that the U.S. and Mexico will be submitting a joint bid. Those bids are due December 8.

We have heard that the host cities for the FIFA World Cup might be receiving letters, letters for signature that indicate an intent to participate in the bid. We have not received – I haven’t received – anything yet. U.S. Soccer is really leading that bid process.
Have there been any conversations about when you expect a 2026 schedule?

End of year is what we’re still hearing. Some people have said that they’ve heard, you know, in January. As far as my conversations with FIFA, it still is end of year – whatever that means. Obviously, as a host city, it can’t come soon enough because it’s really critical from a planning and budgeting perspective.
What can you do now, without that guidance?

We can start modeling, for example, a transportation plan based on five to seven matches. ... Five matches versus seven matches – there’s a big difference there.
From your perspective, what would be a successful 2026 tournament in Kansas City?

We need to develop a really seamless transportation plan. I think we have a different lift than some of the other host cities when it comes to transportation, because we have less of a robust mass transit system here. We probably need to build a temporary system to service the event. And so, a successful World Cup for me is that, that transit system runs really smoothly and everybody who comes to Kansas City to experience this historic event is able to utilize it easily to navigate our region. Not just Kansas City, Missouri, but our entire region – and takes advantage of the opportunity to visit some of our incredible attractions that we have, outside of just attending matches and visiting Fan Fest.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Well this is awesome. Both CM Park AND Arrowhead will host Copa matches
The first ever Copa America match in Kansas City will be played on June 25, 2024 at Children’s Mercy Park between two Group A teams (A2 vs. A4 from Pot 2 and Pot 4 below). The match-up will be determined this Thursday when the official draw takes place at 6:30 p.m. CT in Miami.

In addition, GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium will host the United States Men’s National Team on July 1, 2024 in their Copa America group stage finale (C1 vs. C2 from Pot 2 below). Currently ranked No. 12 in the FIFA rankings, the U.S. MNT is unbeaten all-time in Kansas City (10-0-2) and GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium is one of 16 venues selected to host matches during the FIFA World Cup 2026.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The USMNT playing here in the group stage finale is a really good get - I'm pleasantly surprised for that one.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That's... Interesting. Tbh, I was skeptical we'd get any.

I'll be excited to watch the draw now. Colombia would be super fun. Uruguay is always fun too.

Need to set up a fan fest downtown.

[Edit]

Just for clarification, KC didn't get selected twice. We're getting two games, the same as other cities. We just decided to split them between the two different stadiums.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:58 pm We just decided to split them between the two different stadiums.
I wonder how that was decided.
KC is the way to be!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:04 am
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:58 pm We just decided to split them between the two different stadiums.
I wonder how that was decided.
If I'm reading it correctly, it'll be between a South American team and a playin CONCACAF team. So depending on the draw, could be hard to sell out Arrowhead for that game. Only Chile has visa waiver status from the region, so it's going to draw heavily on local populations and rich people.

The people spending the money to come here will likely focus on New York, Florida, Vegas, and California.

Plus, I think the KC region is trying to be united ahead of the World Cup. It's not that bizarre of a decision. We'll know more in a couple days with the draw.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

I would not underestimate the international soccer fanbase of KC & surrounds. There are many communities who care about no other sport.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

bspecht wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:57 pm I would not underestimate the international soccer fanbase of KC & surrounds. There are many communities who care about no other sport.
KC tried to host games at Arrowhead and switched back to CMH when they couldn’t sell……
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We're really benefiting from Chicago kinda disappearing in soccer as well?

If they get in for the world cup or this, we're out. But KC has a super good relationship in the soccer community and fantastic facilities, and you get rewarded.

Not going to throw things to cities that don't do anything.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

langosta wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:12 pm
bspecht wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:57 pm I would not underestimate the international soccer fanbase of KC & surrounds. There are many communities who care about no other sport.
KC tried to host games at Arrowhead and switched back to CMH when they couldn’t sell……
Eh, it's more of a 55k attendance would be amazing but would also look empty at a huge NFL stadium type thing. Outside of the huge teams everyone knows about, most stadiums around the world are quite small compared to football, Liverpool has had to do mass renovations to their ancient stadium site to meet the new demand.

Watching soccer all but die in Chicago has been something. Went to the Gold Cup Final against Panama there 10 years ago & partied at the old US Soccer House HQ, which is now sold & USSF is no longer based there at all. The Fire died in Bridgeview then tried to come back to Soldier Field to find out no one really cares, same with their poor NWSL team taking over that Bridgeview stadium to no avail.

I have been pondering if MLS should just straight up leave Chicago for a while. Sure, you've got a team in the country's 3rd biggest market but it's got less popularity than Northwestern basketball in that city, a team name that plays second fiddle to a television program with the same name. Just move them to Louisville or Indy, cities CLAMORING for USL, imagine how they'd do with MLS.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Chicago suffers from the curse of the original MLS teams (they actually joined in the second year, but close enough).

Sporting KC has probably been the most successful at breaking that curse through the rebranding and stadium construction. All of the other original teams carry some of that original baggage and struggle to be relevant in their markets. (Columbus is doing better now after nearly avoiding relocation by building a new stadium. LA Galaxy does OK, but has been playing second fiddle to the newer LAFC).

I think Chicago needs a new stadium and possible a rebrand - same with New England (new stadium may be happening closer to Boston), Colorado, and Dallas.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree, but that doesn't explain why soldier field has disappeared. Some of my favorite soccer memories are there. It used to be a go to for the national team.

Not long ago you would put Chicago towards the top of any "they're going to host" list. Now they're not even talked about.

They need like a 30,000 seat urban stadium. But until they get it together, seems like KC is the go to midwest choice.