World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Ca-ching!

Good morning everyone!

Missouri Senate passes bill 23-7 to lure World Cup regarding sales tax

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... 17f9b.html
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Ok, so this def needs to be posted to Rag

Renderings show how Arrowhead could look if KC lands World Cup games for 2026
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 25110.html
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:32 pm Ok, so this def needs to be posted to Rag

Renderings show how Arrowhead could look if KC lands World Cup games for 2026
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 25110.html

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So Arrowhead with fireworks?. I mean they didn't even do a good job with them in photoshop. Would have been better superimposing some actual fireworks shot from a chiefs game. I'm sure it's fine and the renderings don't really mean much but those are pretty bad renderings.

I guess the point is the show the field configuration with the seating bowl, which looks good. Pretty cool how close the seats are to the field.

It looks like they cut into the lower deck quite a bit. What is the expected seating capacity?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I hate to even post this but it comes from a reliable enough source I feel it's worth mentioning and I hope it's totally wrong. I actually thought I posted it awhile ago.

Supposedly the feeling from the committee is we're getting a training site but not games. This was told to me a few months ago and I reconfirmed not too long ago. Training sites are actually better for the lodging $ but obviously nothing sexy or fun. I'm holding out hope this person is misinformed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:33 pm I hate to even post this but it comes from a reliable enough source I feel it's worth mentioning and I hope it's totally wrong. I actually thought I posted it awhile ago.

Supposedly the feeling from the committee is we're getting a training site but not games. This was told to me a few months ago and I reconfirmed not too long ago. Training sites are actually better for the lodging $ but obviously nothing sexy or fun. I'm holding out hope this person is misinformed.
I’m hearing we’re right on the line. That any stumble by one of the cities directly above us, a controversy or natural disaster or backpedal on commitments and it’s ours. Not giving up hope that this will happen. I still think we’ll sneak in.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

That stumble already happened- Montreal dropped out last summer and supposedly it’s gonna give the US 11 cities now instead of 10.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:33 pm I hate to even post this but it comes from a reliable enough source I feel it's worth mentioning and I hope it's totally wrong. I actually thought I posted it awhile ago.

How are training sites better for lodging? They're nice to have and KC will probably get two, but they're set amounts.

No supporters actually flying in. No fan zones. Far fewer hotels booked, and likely outside the city because they like it to be quiet.

It's close. We'll be the last one in or the last one out.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

I guess its a few hotels booked for 1-2 months vs all hotels for a week or two?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I couldn't give a shit if we get "base camps" or not.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I still don’t see fifa snubbing the middle of the country like that.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Not to mention that this helps out out at least a little bit. I've been told very good things are expected next month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... d-cup-bid/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:57 am I still don’t see fifa snubbing the middle of the country like that.
This & the Hunt family are my two biggest hopes
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am Not to mention that this helps out out at least a little bit. I've been told very good things are expected next month.

Good. Living in DC, it's much enjoyable to catch a MARC train to Baltimore for a game than Ubering out to the mess that is FedEx Field.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bspecht wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:44 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am Not to mention that this helps out out at least a little bit. I've been told very good things are expected next month.

Good. Living in DC, it's much enjoyable to catch a MARC train to Baltimore for a game than Ubering out to the mess that is FedEx Field.
Yeah, I knew there was not a chance that Fed Ex would work. I'm really surprised they didn't start with the Baltimore stadium.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I'm usually an optimist on this forum, but this is a killer. It might kill our chances altogether.

Vancouvers replaces Montreal as proposed Canada 2026 host site
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... d-cup-site

For those who have been following, this puts the USA back to 10 sites (presumably) instead of the 11 we were needing.

The only way left I can see getting the 10th spot is they don't want to shut out the entire Midwest from the tournament. Or the entire middle of the country for that matter. I don't know any other path. I basically have no hope left here though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does this change the odds for Seattle though?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:36 pm Does this change the odds for Seattle though?
Well, that's the hope.

I keep hearing two competing narratives that counter each other:
1. FIFA wants it all to be clusters of cities that are close to eachother to cut down travel times
2. FIFA wants cities in different areas to cut down travel times across the country

If #2 is the true narrative, then we're gonna host
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Seattle has a good proposal, especially with their new training facilities opening in 2024.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:41 pm Seattle has a good proposal, especially with their new training facilities opening in 2024.
And again, according to varying sources the "training facilities don't matter, it's only for base camp" so idk.

We've heard our location was a plus, and now it's a negative.
We've heard the training camps were a plus, and now they're irrelevant.
We've heard they don't want to shut out the midwest, and then some say they don't care if Midwest is shut out.

It's just all over the fucking place and I can't get a read on it- I just assume were gonna get fucked.