World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:45 pm Yea, mustard gas is just condiment, right?
Melts your lungs into the consistency of a condiment alright
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What do people want to do, censor history? Soldiers on both sides suffered and died during the war. So why not have both sides represented?
Remember a few years ago Clint Eastwood did two movies on the battle of Iwo Jima. IMO the one presenting the Japanese side, Letters from Iwo Jima, was the better of the two. Older movies, Tora Tora Tora and Midway, also presented both sides of the battles.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Back on topic. I'm surprised no fan fest at P&L has been talked about more for KC since that's the most famous spot.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Both sides used chemical warfare in WW1, FYI.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:15 pm Back on topic. I'm surprised no fan fest at P&L has been talked about more for KC since that's the most famous spot.
There will certainly be events in P&L. But I wonder if the living room is big enough for an official Fan Fest... I was shocked to hear the scale of these
FIFA also needs to announce its decisions related to official FIFA Fan Fest venues, and Nelson expects to learn more about that by the end of 2023.

"They're still trying to figure out what Fan Fest could look like in our cities, and they're trying to understand if it would be an event for 10,000 people or 90,000 people," Nelson said.

"In Qatar, they had a Fan Fest experience that happened every single day throughout the tournament, whether there were matches or not. They would have 40,000-plus people through their Fan Fest every day, even on non-match days. So we're thinking about what would be that location for us? How would that feel? What would it look like?"
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -camp.html
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Now that the WC is over, I think we should see the pace of planning and projects pick up substantially.

We would probably want to plan a temporary BRT line to the airport of some kind as well as to the stadiums and that wouldn't take that long to set up. The longest lead time items are definitely the I-70 cap. That would be huge if we can get that done. Every comment section is always "WTF why did Kansas City get the bid." I have no doubt that we can deliver but dealing with moving crowds
of fans is going to be really important.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:35 pm the I-70 cap. That would be huge if we can get that done.
I think one thing people forget is that even if it isn't all complete, atleast a couple blocks will still be
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:25 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:35 pm the I-70 cap. That would be huge if we can get that done.
I think one thing people forget is that even if it isn't all complete, atleast a couple blocks could still be
Financing for this is still not set in stone. We should hear soon about the MEGA grant award winners, but it's not a guarantee we receive it. There are a number of private commitments that have not been made public, but they are contingent on the cap receiving Federal funding. The backup plan for city hall I suppose would be applying for a RAISE grant. However, that will take more time.

It'll still happen, I just wonder how much will be done by 2026
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:35 pm Now that the WC is over, I think we should see the pace of planning and projects pick up substantially.

We would probably want to plan a temporary BRT line to the airport of some kind as well as to the stadiums and that wouldn't take that long to set up. The longest lead time items are definitely the I-70 cap. That would be huge if we can get that done. Every comment section is always "WTF why did Kansas City get the bid." I have no doubt that we can deliver but dealing with moving crowds
The airport route is relatively simple in my mind. Charter enough coaches to run a frequent express service to Downtown and the Plaza. Any additional Northland stops before that should be strategic and severely limited or non-existent.

BRT implies dedicated lanes and station infrastructure and all sort of other things. Not even necessary in my opinion. This motor coach service would be ideal even after the WC. Perhaps 10-15 minute headways could not be maintained, but once or twice hourly from the Plaza? Should be a No-brainer and it's a disgrace we don't already have such a service.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:18 pm The airport route is relatively simple in my mind. Charter enough coaches to run a frequent express service to Downtown and the Plaza.
I think they should just dump everyone in either downtown or Union Station and have them take the streetcar from there. Not all the way to the Plaza.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:35 pm Now that the WC is over, I think we should see the pace of planning and projects pick up substantially.

I know everybody thinks I'm negative nancy lol, but from the outside, it does not appear that KC Is doing that much to get ready for the world cup which is interesting since it's probably the city that needs to do the most. I mean Dallas is putting 300 million into At&t stadium alone prior to the world cup. They pretty much already have everything else in place (transit, hotels etc).

For KC to really get ready for such an event that most people in the country don't think KC is a worthy enough city to host, I really hope the city, county, state etc seriously ramps up a lot of major projects quickly. But it really doesn't seem like KC will be doing that much to upgrade the city and its infrastructure outside of what is already planned such as the tram to the plaza and maybe the 670 deck?

I really hope at the very least that the the corridors to the stadium are improved as most are very ghetto including I-70. And the area around the stadiums is spruced up even just a little bit.

I don't think people in KC realize how run down KC feels outside of just a few parts of the city and some of the nicer suburban areas. Again, take this as constructive criticism to get KC ready to be a world class city for a week or so. I am just not sure it will be ready myself. It honestly seems like KC is a bit over its head with this.

Remember, this is the one time KC needs to try and impress people from much larger and more vibrant cities across the country and world vs the regional mostly small town types of tourists it normally gets. It's a great opportunity to get some things done that otherwise would probably never happen in KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ To be fair, Dallas didn’t have to wait until selection day to start their planning. They knew they would be chosen. We were never sure we were going to be chosen. So, we’re behind the crowd on planning. Hopefully, our leaders make up the ground and start announcing plans soon.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

No I think that's fair Grid. I really hope we hear more plans very soon. 3 years really isn't that much time...

One thing I know that Texas has is a tax-funded Major Events Reimbursement Program (MERP). So if a city like Dallas or Houston is hosting a major sporting event, they can apply for funds to cover spending. Does KS or MO have a program like that?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

A lot of the planning has been done quietly it seems, but there has definitely been work going on in the background for the last year or so. The interoperability of organizations for the event definitely needs some work though, as it seems there’s not much coordination with the play makers in town at the moment
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:52 am I really hope the city, county, state etc seriously ramps up a lot of major projects quickly. But it really doesn't seem like KC will be doing that much
South Loop cap, streetcar extension, new Barney Allis, possible Royals downtown (if not, heavily under construction), $100 mil into Arrowhead & several new large private projects & hotels all aided by the 2026 deadline. Possibly more to come.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:25 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:52 am I really hope the city, county, state etc seriously ramps up a lot of major projects quickly. But it really doesn't seem like KC will be doing that much
South Loop cap, streetcar extension, new Barney Allis, possible Royals downtown (if not, heavily under construction), $100 mil into Arrowhead & several new large private projects & hotels all aided by the 2026 deadline. Possibly more to come.
SouthLoop cap sounds like the most likely to happen.

East/West Streetcar does not happen before 2026, maybe even 2036 at our rate.

What is the status of the new BAP?

Royals under construction would be a cool backdrop but not really useful to the event unless it is open.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:50 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:25 pm
SouthLoop cap sounds like the most likely to happen.

East/West Streetcar does not happen before 2026, maybe even 2036 at our rate.

What is the status of the new BAP?

Royals under construction would be a cool backdrop but not really useful to the event unless it is open.
Yeah EW streetcar is a long while out, I meant the current expansion.

I would assume now that South Loop funding is underway there should be a focus over to BAP now. Platt wants it done by 2026.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:37 pm A lot of the planning has been done quietly it seems, but there has definitely been work going on in the background for the last year or so. The interoperability of organizations for the event definitely needs some work though, as it seems there’s not much coordination with the play makers in town at the moment
I'll disagree a bit here. I'm on a committee that plans these types of events and we have been working with all the major players for a few years. The last pieces of the full-time team who will work on all things World Cup in KC are coming together now.

KC needs some sprucing up and major temp transportation options most.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:52 am

I know everybody thinks I'm negative nancy lol, but from the outside, it does not appear that KC Is doing that much to get ready for the world cup which is interesting since it's probably the city that needs to do the most. I mean Dallas is putting 300 million into At&t stadium alone prior to the world cup. They pretty much already have everything else in place (transit, hotels etc).
Jerry is using the World Cup as a motivator to pull revenue from the box office to make technology and amenity improvements. He wants this for this cowboys games but needs the NFL to sign off the use of funds and increase his debt limit. Will help him land another Super Bowl too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:51 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:37 pm A lot of the planning has been done quietly it seems, but there has definitely been work going on in the background for the last year or so. The interoperability of organizations for the event definitely needs some work though, as it seems there’s not much coordination with the play makers in town at the moment
I'll disagree a bit here. I'm on a committee that plans these types of events and we have been working with all the major players for a few years. The last pieces of the full-time team who will work on all things World Cup in KC are coming together now.

KC needs some sprucing up and major temp transportation options most.
Which committee plans these events?