World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by Cratedigger »

Fountains wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:18 am One of the reporters tweets who was killed in Qatar

NEW: World Cup Daily, Day 25. They just don't care. Qatari World Cup organizers don't even hide their apathy over migrant worker deaths, including the most recent one.
https://t.co/WEKoMdSm3J
Shit. This is heartbreaking. KC native and one of the best soccer writers out there. I think he was detained recently because he was wearing a rainbow soccer ball jersey?

He never got to see the World Cup in his hometown :(
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I can 100% say that getting World Cup has positively impacted development discussions.

The ears of Banks, developers, hoteliers, restaurant groups perk up when we tell them World Cup is coming. Now that is not to say that the numbers have changed but having an event of this magnitude does help get those folks to look at KC.

Attention is on KC but it is up to us to do something with that. That means continuing to push the ball forward on infra, rail transit, development, etc.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:08 pm I can 100% say that getting World Cup has positively impacted development discussions.

The ears of Banks, developers, hoteliers, restaurant groups perk up when we tell them World Cup is coming. Now that is not to say that the numbers have changed but having an event of this magnitude does help get those folks to look at KC.

Attention is on KC but it is up to us to do something with that. That means continuing to push the ball forward on infra, rail transit, development, etc.
How about Hotel Bravo coming back as a result?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think there will be talk about a high-service luxury hotel whether it be Hotel Bravo coming back into discussion or the upgrading of an existing hotel to meet higher standards.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:54 am I think there will be talk about a high-service luxury hotel whether it be Hotel Bravo coming back into discussion or the upgrading of an existing hotel to meet higher standards.
5 star branded hotel is still a long shot.
You will need an incentive for the development and I think you’ll need a room purchase agreement or revenue guarantee to the flag.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:38 am
FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:54 am I think there will be talk about a high-service luxury hotel whether it be Hotel Bravo coming back into discussion or the upgrading of an existing hotel to meet higher standards.
5 star branded hotel is still a long shot.
You will need an incentive for the development and I think you’ll need a room purchase agreement or revenue guarantee to the flag.
Agreed. And Hotel Bravo has no chance of happening unless the developers significantly change their ask.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:08 pm Attention is on KC but it is up to us to do something with that. That means continuing to push the ball forward on infra, rail transit, development, etc.
What projects that KC isn't already currently pursuing would you like to see pushed?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:14 pm What projects that KC isn't already currently pursuing would you like to see pushed?
This was my response back in June:
beautyfromashes wrote:viewtopic.php?p=641527&hilit=world+cup#p641527
I’d like to see: North Loop development, GreenLine, O’Neil bridge park and Current arena money and tons of hotels.
Of course, South Loop park would be in there too and towers up building the new Royals stadium though I don't think there's any chance of it being completed by then. A skyline full of cranes might send a nice message to the world about Kansas City.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:40 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:14 pm What projects that KC isn't already currently pursuing would you like to see pushed?
This was my response back in June:
beautyfromashes wrote:viewtopic.php?p=641527&hilit=world+cup#p641527
I’d like to see: North Loop development, GreenLine, O’Neil bridge park and Current arena money and tons of hotels.
Of course, South Loop park would be in there too and towers up building the new Royals stadium though I don't think there's any chance of it being completed by then. A skyline full of cranes might send a nice message to the world about Kansas City.
Thought you were also gonna add the Cordish buildings south of Truman
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:51 pm Thought you were also gonna add the Cordish buildings south of Truman
I'm asking for too much again?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:14 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:08 pm Attention is on KC but it is up to us to do something with that. That means continuing to push the ball forward on infra, rail transit, development, etc.
What projects that KC isn't already currently pursuing would you like to see pushed?
A true renovation or upgrade of the convention center.
More downtown office, hotels, residential
Quality of life improvements (Parks, Trails, Ferris Wheel, etc)
Regional transit funding, including an expanded rail system
Pro-development attitude and ease of working with the city
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:11 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:51 pm Thought you were also gonna add the Cordish buildings south of Truman
I'm asking for too much again?
No i agree, I think we'll have both the Royals buildings and more Cordish buildings by P&L happening at the same time.

I think an underrated one is what Platt is trying to accomplish with BAP
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

One question I haven't really seen addressed is, how much additional federal funding for projects might be made available to KC and other host cities? Maybe the answer is none. Im not sure if it would be explicitly labeled, such as some sort of host city infrastructure fund pool, or the case where being a host city helps push KC over the edge.

Aside from the loop cap, the one area that might be a candidate for federal funds is Liberty Memorial. I think that area is the most likely spot to host fan fest and large viewing parties. The connection to the national monument and WWI museum should make it an easy sell for funding. Hopefully we will see significant upgrades to the memorial and Penn Valley Park due to the World Cup.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:22 am One question I haven't really seen addressed is, how much additional federal funding for projects might be made available to KC and other host cities? Maybe the answer is none. Im not sure if it would be explicitly labeled, such as some sort of host city infrastructure fund pool, or the case where being a host city helps push KC over the edge.

Aside from the loop cap, the one area that might be a candidate for federal funds is Liberty Memorial. I think that area is the most likely spot to host fan fest and large viewing parties. The connection to the national monument and WWI museum should make it an easy sell for funding. Hopefully we will see significant upgrades to the memorial and Penn Valley Park due to the World Cup.
We haven't heard anything from the state either. They should be pitching in significant funds. Hopefully, the mayor is pushing that behind the scenes. If nothing materializes quickly, he should call it out publicly.

I agree about Liberty Memorial. It's had years of deferred maintenance and should be top of the list for federal funds as the national WWI memorial and museum. This will be a huge draw for, especially Europeans, people coming for the WC. Would love to even see exhibits geared towards fans from those countries.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:33 am
Would love to even see exhibits geared towards fans from those countries.
"Look what you did"
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:22 am One question I haven't really seen addressed is, how much additional federal funding for projects might be made available to KC and other host cities? Maybe the answer is none. Im not sure if it would be explicitly labeled, such as some sort of host city infrastructure fund pool, or the case where being a host city helps push KC over the edge.

We haven't heard anything from the state either. They should be pitching in significant funds. Hopefully, the mayor is pushing that behind the scenes. If nothing materializes quickly, he should call it out publicly.

I agree about Liberty Memorial. It's had years of deferred maintenance and should be top of the list for federal funds as the national WWI memorial and museum. This will be a huge draw for, especially Europeans, people coming for the WC. Would love to even see exhibits geared towards fans from those countries.
You'll be hearing much more about involvement from both states in the near-term.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:49 am
Would love to even see exhibits geared towards fans from those countries.
"Look what you did"
yeah, let's hope we don't get Germany or Austria for that sake. But, a special exhibit of French or British or other WWI allies weaponry/uniforms/etc would be really cool. You could even have experts from those countries come to present during the month of the WC. The museum already has some of this from allies on display, but having a focus on a specific country playing in KC would be fun.

If we get Germany, we'll just set up a beergarten. ::shrug::
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I don't think there is really anything wrong with exhibiting German/Austrian perspectives at the WW1 museum. WW1 isn't WW2, we're not talking about Nazism here. Visitors would take interest in the WW1 museum regardless of the side of the conflict their country was on.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Yea, mustard gas is just condiment, right?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:14 pm I don't think there is really anything wrong with exhibiting German/Austrian perspectives at the WW1 museum. WW1 isn't WW2, we're not talking about Nazism here. Visitors would take interest in the WW1 museum regardless of the side of the conflict their country was on.
idk. I once went to the Pearl Harbor museum and there were some Japanese tourists who would laugh during the bombing run parts of the video presentation.