World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:48 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:14 pm The most surprising thing in that whole article was him saying Denver basically has no chance. They must’ve really fucked up.
altitude.
Guadalajara is comparable and Mexico City is much higher.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:55 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:14 pm The most surprising thing in that whole article was him saying Denver basically has no chance. They must’ve really fucked up.
altitude.
Can’t go without Mexico City though
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I’d imagine Brightline would play a slight part in the state of Florida to move to a joint bid, as they’ll have the cities linked with relative ease
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:55 pm
altitude.
You can't get around the altitude in Mexico, but you have options in the USA.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I don't see Miami doing a joint bid with Orlando mostly because they have nothing to gain. From Wahl's reporting, it sounds like they're good to go on their own. Orlando probably makes it more difficult.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Generally I think fifa does joint bids out of necessity or money. I don't see why Miami needs any help.

Obviously DC was told they were out, and they're trying to fix it. I think it's turned into a pretty weak bid.

I think Seattle is a lock. I think we grab the last spot only because Chicago didn't bid.

Florida and Orlando are dealing with a lot of politics right now too and I think fifa will run from that with their ears covered as quick as they can.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I think if Mexico's altitude were an issue, FIFA wouldn't have awarded the tournament to North America in the first place. I don't know whether Denver will get in or not, but I doubt they will be rejected on the basis of altitude if FIFA is planning to play games at the same altitude in Guadalajara or 2000 feet higher in Mexico City. FIFA will do whatever they feel is most lucrative, which was to play in Mexico City and may or may not be to play in Denver as well. Altitude isn't part of it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:34 pm Generally I think fifa does joint bids out of necessity or money. I don't see why Miami needs any help.

Obviously DC was told they were out, and they're trying to fix it. I think it's turned into a pretty weak bid.

I think Seattle is a lock. I think we grab the last spot only because Chicago didn't bid.

Florida and Orlando are dealing with a lot of politics right now too and I think fifa will run from that with their ears covered as quick as they can.
They’re hosting a World Cup in Qatar this year, I’d imagine the current political situation in Florida is hardly an issue with FIFA compared to a country where they said they’d literally be confiscating pride flags at the stadiums, and still have homosexuality outlawed.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:20 pm I think if Mexico's altitude were an issue, FIFA wouldn't have awarded the tournament to North America in the first place. I don't know whether Denver will get in or not, but I doubt they will be rejected on the basis of altitude if FIFA is planning to play games at the same altitude in Guadalajara or 2000 feet higher in Mexico City. FIFA will do whatever they feel is most lucrative, which was to play in Mexico City and may or may not be to play in Denver as well. Altitude isn't part of it.
Technically the report said the main reason they’re passing on Denver is because their presentation was terrible and they were ill-prepared
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:35 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:34 pm Generally I think fifa does joint bids out of necessity or money. I don't see why Miami needs any help.

They’re hosting a World Cup in Qatar this year, I’d imagine the current political situation in Florida is hardly an issue with FIFA compared to a country where they said they’d literally be confiscating pride flags at the stadiums, and still have homosexuality outlawed.
The us protests a little different than the qataris do, for obviously reasons. Sponsers as well.

There's a reason fifa and the Olympics are trying to make a turn. I don't think anyone has considered their turn to Russia, china, Qatar, etc to be successful.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:01 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:35 pm

The us protests a little different than the qataris do, for obviously reasons. Sponsers as well.

There's a reason fifa and the Olympics are trying to make a turn. I don't think anyone has considered their turn to Russia, china, Qatar, etc to be successful.
Agreed, my point was more so that with the right amount of $$$ fifa would likely be open to playing games anywhere.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:34 pm I think Seattle is a lock.
How do you put games in both Seattle and Vancouver though since they are almost close enough to be the same metro, especially if that means no games in the entire Midwest?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:35 pm compared to a country where they said they’d literally be confiscating pride flags at the stadiums, and still have homosexuality outlawed.
Florida's not a country.

Ohhhhhh you were still talking about Qatar there, my bad.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:59 pm
How do you put games in both Seattle and Vancouver though since they are almost close enough to be the same metro, especially if that means no games in the entire Midwest?
Teams and fan's don't have to travel as far. 2 major international airports and good mass transit
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m wondering if FIFA is thinking Dallas, Houston & KC is a good cluster and will help travel.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:59 pm
I think being separate countries helps. If I were a visiting fan, a Seattle/Vancouver pod would be high on my wish list to end up in.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:05 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:35 pm compared to a country where they said they’d literally be confiscating pride flags at the stadiums, and still have homosexuality outlawed.
Florida's not a country.

Ohhhhhh you were still talking about Qatar there, my bad.
Ba dum tsss
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:28 am Teams and fan's don't have to travel as far. 2 major international airports and good mass transit
And this doesn’t play into the “fly over country” narrative to have most all the games on the coast and a huge donut hole in the entire Midwest with two host cities right on top of each other?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:15 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:28 am Teams and fan's don't have to travel as far. 2 major international airports and good mass transit
And this doesn’t play into the “fly over country” narrative to have most all the games on the coast and a huge donut hole in the entire Midwest with two host cities right on top of each other?
If Chicago would have made a bid we’d be out.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Initially they had but pulled out early