World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:37 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:01 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:04 pm Narrow field. Even when they carve out the corners in will be narrow.
Ok but that's also every other NFL stadium's field. They're all carving for the corners.
Most new stadiums are built to host big soccer games. The chiefs have made some changes over the years to be better, and if we win, they’ll make more.

It’s not a big deal.

I want to see what we said about transport, especially airport, and hotels.
The only thing it could really be is just alot of coordinated busses
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:45 pm The new airport and increased hotel stock in a resurgent downtown undoubtedly help our odds.
It will help KC's chances, but anything KC does is not really going even close the gap when comparing KC to these other cities. Best case is central KC has 500-1000 more rooms by then including anything that is UC now.

Same with KCI. While it will be better, how would the new terminal help KC jump ahead of another city on this list? It will be much better than what KC has now for sure. The new airport has to be all over KC's proposal, so they will know about it. But any other city will be able to compete or exceed anything that the new KCI will offer.

Again, I think KC has a great shot at hosting some games. And I think having a new airport terminal is one of the things that is even keeping KC in the running, but KC's advantage over these other cities is the people and the passion of the community to throw a well supported event for visiting fans and having top notch practice facilities. Also being the only city in the midwest to hold games.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:01 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:04 pm Narrow field. Even when they carve out the corners in will be narrow.
Ok but that's also every other NFL stadium's field. They're all carving for the corners.
Most modern stadium field areas are about 15 to 20 meters wider, and longer, than Arrowhead. It's also the reason we are so much louder. Our seats are closer to the field.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:02 pm
daGOAT wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:45 pm The new airport and increased hotel stock in a resurgent downtown undoubtedly help our odds.
It will help KC's chances, but anything KC does is not really going even close the gap when comparing KC to these other cities. Best case is central KC has 500-1000 more rooms by then including anything that is UC now.

Same with KCI. While it will be better, how would the new terminal help KC jump ahead of another city on this list? It will be much better than what KC has now for sure. The new airport has to be all over KC's proposal, so they will know about it. But any other city will be able to compete or exceed anything that the new KCI will offer.

Again, I think KC has a great shot at hosting some games. And I think having a new airport terminal is one of the things that is even keeping KC in the running, but KC's advantage over these other cities is the people and the passion of the community to throw a well supported event for visiting fans and having top notch practice facilities. Also being the only city in the midwest to hold games.
For big events, organizers typically like to program at airports. Have ambassadors standing around, booths, etc.

I know you know this, but that was a hit against kc originally. Imagine landing and having a person say okay now go find the blue red or yellow. 😂

It’s not that it makes us better, but gets rid of a huge negative.

Hotels are more difficult. They just are what they are. Maybe push forward some renovations.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Let’s put it like this. If we were still using the old airport in 2026, then we’d have zero chance. The new airport atleast keeps us in the running.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:50 pm Let’s put it like this. If we were still using the old airport in 2026, then we’d have zero chance. The new airport atleast keeps us in the running.
Exactly what I'm trying to say.

I think the new terminal is the one thing that may push KC over the hump to even be in consideration. Hosting an event like this with the current KCI would have possibly been a death sentence for KC getting selected considering the lack of other hospitality infrastructure. The new KCI keeps KC in the running because the current airport is just terrible.

All I'm saying that other than being new, the new terminal won't really add anything special to KC. KC will simply have a respectable airport that visitors shouldn't hate and yes, it will be much easier to focus on soccer fans at the new terminal since they will all pass through the same common areas. The current airport is nothing but gates, so no common areas like normal airports and no place to really set up and interact with fans. Unless you set up in 30 places.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Here is the full report from 42Floors on ranking the World Cup sites

https://42floors.com/news/us-host-citie ... world-cup/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Reading through that it sounds like KC is a leader in space to put fans for events, but also, no place for those fans to sleep, or way to get to the venues or actualy get to the city.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I love how they basically summed our training facilities as "You have great facilities, the only problem is you put them out in the middle of nowhere"

Which can also be applied to just about everything in the KC metro
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

A lot of KC people feeling pretty good about this based off of recent conversations.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:06 pm I love how they basically summed our training facilities as "You have great facilities, the only problem is you put them out in the middle of nowhere"

Which can also be applied to just about everything in the KC metro
I suspect KC will be among the very first to have all of its training facilities booked up. It's really top class and distance isn't a big deal.

The bigger issue is distance to the airport and stadium for fans. The public transit isn't good enough to get people all over there city to where they want to be (stadium and fan zones) and back to their hotels and flights.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:18 pm The bigger issue is distance to the airport and stadium for fans. The public transit isn't good enough to get people all over there city to where they want to be (stadium and fan zones) and back to their hotels and flights.
It’ll be a lot easier to run a bus from a consolidated single terminal than the current situation. Public transit from the airport will improve well before the WC
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:11 pm A lot of KC people feeling pretty good about this based off of recent conversations.
It’s been weird. First we heard “our location is a plus” then it became a negative, and then the training facilities were a plus and then we heard they were irrelevant. It’s been all over the place on the forum.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:32 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:18 pm The bigger issue is distance to the airport and stadium for fans. The public transit isn't good enough to get people all over there city to where they want to be (stadium and fan zones) and back to their hotels and flights.
It’ll be a lot easier to run a bus from a consolidated single terminal than the current situation. Public transit from the airport will improve well before the WC
We'll need Kansas to help out here. MO doesn't have the capacity with hotels if we get it.

But yes, there will have to be special transit decisions made by hotels and regional authority to be ready. Car rentals will need to stock more cars because a lot of people around the world will turn it into a road trip.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:53 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:11 pm A lot of KC people feeling pretty good about this based off of recent conversations.
It’s been weird. First we heard “our location is a plus” then it became a negative, and then the training facilities were a plus and then we heard they were irrelevant. It’s been all over the place on the forum.
It's a bit about talking about two different things. Training grounds typically book up way in advance of the world cup. We have fantastic soccer facilities here and I would not be surprised if the usmnt takes them. There will be multiple teams based in KC even if we don't get it.

We have nice airports easily available for charter. Distance isn't an issue. They'll book out a few floors at the closest hotels and have shuttles. Most teams prefer being a little removed for training.

It's also a plus they can fly anywhere pretty quickly.

Those positives aren't great for fans. We're spread out a lot without good transit. That's fixable with short term routes.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Ya'll need to get up to speed with the 21st century. Uber and A TON of other transportation providers exist these days. You're making a bunch of something out of nothing. The metropolitan area as a whole will be involved. It's not like the WC planners look at this as a "Missouri" thing. LOLOLOLOL. All they see is the KC AREA.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

im2kull wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:23 am Ya'll need to get up to speed with the 21st century. Uber and A TON of other transportation providers exist these days. You're making a bunch of something out of nothing. The metropolitan area as a whole will be involved. It's not like the WC planners look at this as a "Missouri" thing. LOLOLOLOL. All they see is the KC AREA.
Uber isn't really considered transit. It would cost around $40+ one way between a lot of places and not practical when you have massive fan zones. The places would get congested and I assume Uber would surge prices.

They'll need to be dedicated transit solutions.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:20 am
im2kull wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:23 am Ya'll need to get up to speed with the 21st century. Uber and A TON of other transportation providers exist these days. You're making a bunch of something out of nothing. The metropolitan area as a whole will be involved. It's not like the WC planners look at this as a "Missouri" thing. LOLOLOLOL. All they see is the KC AREA.
Uber isn't really considered transit. It would cost around $40+ one way between a lot of places and not practical when you have massive fan zones. The places would get congested and I assume Uber would surge prices.

Uber prices would be outrageous during this type of an event. Downtown to Arrowhead would be $75-$100 easy.

I'm sure the city put together a plan to temporarily create some kind of bussing plan with dedicated lanes, pick up spots etc. I hope they did this.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:58 am

I'm sure the city put together a plan to temporarily create some kind of bussing plan with dedicated lanes, pick up spots etc. I hope they did this.
mentioned in the proposal.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:18 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:58 am

mentioned in the proposal.
Just to elaborate: The KC bid includes detailed plans on a region-wide transit system that would be implemented specifically for the 2026 event. This would consist not only of numerous multi-modal hubs throughout the metro; but also a planned long-distance park-and-ride shuttle system that would link numerous regional cities (Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita, Springfield, etc.) to KC.