World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by Metro »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:55 am
Metro wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:57 pm I'm very excited about this with the violent crime and overall poor leadership of the city were going to fall on our faces in a bunch of people from all over the world.
Boy I hope with all these problems we can still have a chance at getting the World Cup!

Wait
Boy it's almost like a bunch of citites backed out ans they had to play the games somewhere
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:48 pm
Metro wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:57 pm I'm very excited about this with the violent crime and overall poor leadership of the city were going to fall on our faces in a bunch of people from all over the world.
Lol defeatist much?
Lol naive much?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:49 am
Lol defeatist much?
Lol naive much?
Not at all, I recognize many of the issues plaguing KC, and also recognize that it wouldn’t be putting our best foot forward if those problems are allowed to persist. I’m doing quite a bit to help remedy those issues though, and communicating with elected officials and authority heads on ideas to help remedy those. I’m not bitching on a forum about the issues, though, and decrying it to all be hopeless.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

langosta wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:23 am
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:04 am
langosta wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:38 am

I imagine the shiny new stadiums have a solid chance of beating out our old little WyCo parking lot stadium
Would be at Arrowhead
Does this differ from previous years Gold Cup events hosted at SKC?
Yes. Copa America is the COMNEBOL, the South American soccer confederation, regional tournament. They had an honorary of sorts one in the US in 2016 for the 100th anniversary but they're doing the actual every 4 years one here for the first time. It's their equivalent of the Gold Cup but a bit of a bigger deal since it's every 4 years instead of every 2.

Club World Cup has been completely redone & is more of an overall group stage type event instead of just the confederation's Champions League winning teams. A lot more teams will qualify now starting in 2025.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:34 pm
Lol defeatist much?
Lol naive much?
Not at all, I recognize many of the issues plaguing KC, and also recognize that it wouldn’t be putting our best foot forward if those problems are allowed to persist. I’m doing quite a bit to help remedy those issues though, and communicating with elected officials and authority heads on ideas to help remedy those. I’m not bitching on a forum about the issues, though, and decrying it to all be hopeless.
I've worked with local leaders on many things. There's a reason we got the world cup and it's not because we were overly prepared it's because alot of other citites didn't want it. Here we are just a few years away from hosting and we're still wondering about transportation to the event.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:46 pm

Lol naive much?
I've worked with local leaders on many things. There's a reason we got the world cup and it's not because we were overly prepared it's because alot of other citites didn't want it. Here we are just a few years away from hosting and we're still wondering about transportation to the event.
Other cities are still wondering about transportation to the event. I work with local leaders who think it was a hard battle against cities who wanted it just as much if not more. What is your point?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

langosta wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Metro wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:46 pm
Other cities are still wondering about transportation to the event. I work with local leaders who think it was a hard battle against cities who wanted it just as much if not more. What is your point?
The point isn't very hard to figure out "other citites are figuring out their transportation issues" does nothing for ours. This is a major issue that could really bite us in the ass but I get it pointing out obvious issues is being negative and we can't have that on here. KC is a world class city!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

One thing to point out problems, another to say you will be excited to see us fail.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:57 am
One thing to point out problems, another to say you will be excited to see us fail.
Because the people of this town accept mediocrity
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Metro wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:32 pm
I feel like this entire process of getting international events was to break that mentality, and it's just getting going. You'll be shocked at how fast things can come together when there is the will & cash involved to actually make it work. The transit stuff has been noticed & there will be something in place by the time we are testing WC capacity in the next 2 years.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:23 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:32 pm

I feel like this entire process of getting international events was to break that mentality, and it's just getting going. You'll be shocked at how fast things can come together when there is the will & cash involved to actually make it work. The transit stuff has been noticed & there will be something in place by the time we are testing WC capacity in the next 2 years.
I hope you are right. Any idea of what kind of transit?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm thinking we'll have higher frequencies on BRT lines and a few more BRT lines built by then. Commuter rail seems the least likely to be done by 2026.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Copa America will be hosted at big venues in cities with big south American based fans. We're hosting it (the us) because Ecuador said no, and they're like okay let's make some money.

KC needs to do more work about transportation. One thing that will help is saying absolutely no nonticketed people anywhere close to arrowhead. That's not that hard to do...I hope?

To the fan zones everyone else you go.

You'll also have to effectively shut parts of the city down.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:27 pm I'm thinking we'll have higher frequencies on BRT lines and a few more BRT lines built by then. Commuter rail seems the least likely to be done by 2026.
A few "more" BRT lines?? Where are the existing ones? MAX is not BRT. Not even close to BRT. They are basic run of the mill bus lines in any city that has a decent quality bus system and none of the routes will really be used by world cup fans.

I think people need to realize that the city won't have anything major done by the WC. At least nothing substantial or permeant that will benefit the community. The tram extension will be complete and that's about it. I would imagine the city will bring in buses from all over the Midwest or country and run them to the stadium from various locations and then send the buses back to wherever after the WC.

Even that will take years to plan. Anything else at this point in mid 2023 is a pipe dream. I'm just being realistic here and I think people on this forum need to accept that reality.

I personally thought the city would get more permanent infrastructure upgrades from landing the world cup, but it honestly does not seem like much is going to happen other than what has already been done (airport/tram extension). I doubt the area around the stadiums is even cleaned up much by then, it will probably look even worse in another 2-3 years. The only way anything happens there is if the county steps up and that's not going to happen. Pretty sure everybody that runs Jackson County has never set foot outside of KC the way they are so used to how run down everything looks in the county and seem to be fine with it.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:22 am I personally thought the city would get more permanent infrastructure upgrades from landing the world cup, but it honestly does not seem like much is going to happen other than what has already been done (airport/tram extension).
What were you expecting?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We're going to get a whole lot of practical information about how to bus large amounts of people all around the metro.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:05 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:22 am I personally thought the city would get more permanent infrastructure upgrades from landing the world cup, but it honestly does not seem like much is going to happen other than what has already been done (airport/tram extension).
What were you expecting?
Yeah I don't think from when we were awarded the matches until now you could have gone through environmental review plus lawsuits.

Not counting nonexistent funding.

What did you think was going to happen?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:01 pm
What were you expecting?
Yeah I don't think from when we were awarded the matches until now you could have gone through environmental review plus lawsuits.

South Loop Link is on track for a 2026 completion.

I thought we would at least take a few critical items to a vote in 2023 or early 2024, specifically mass transit even if it wouldn’t open for a while after. That probably won’t happen.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

grovester wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:42 pm We're going to get a whole lot of practical information about how to bus large amounts of people all around the metro.
Conventions use to do it all the time. And let's not forget the FFA people. It is not an impossible thing to do.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:01 pm
What were you expecting?

If you feel like you are truly competing and have a chance to land something like the world cup, I would think the city would be at least putting together some plans with some preliminary engineering etc so that they could be implemented in a decent time frame if awarded such an event. And it's not just the World Cup, KC recently hosted other large events like NFL Draft etc.

I'm not saying KC should have had 20 miles of LRT built for the World Cup. I'm saying even some true high quality BRT lines would have been nice. Something that would stay and be used by the community long after the world cup. Finding ways to do better with projects like the Broadway Bridge (which I still think is a massive urban planning fail). Could have used the WC as an excuse to spend a little more money on that project and do something more urban minded than just adding another freeway and flyover ramps to a downtown that is nothing but freeways and flyover ramps.

Is the city and state going to expedite the I-70 rebuild between the stadiums and downtown? That corridor looks like total shit. It makes KC look like a city that just stopped caring 50 years ago. I'm not being mean here, I actually want KC to look good to national and international visitors and not embarrass itself. If you travel a lot, KC leaves a lot to be desired once you leave areas like Union Station, river market and plaza. This is a world stage. People will be coming from world cities that are just much nicer cities than KC is right now.

Same with the area around the stadiums. It looks and feels ghetto around the stadiums now compared to areas around similar facilities especially around soccer stadiums in other countries.

My point is that KC has a reason/excuse to really step up and clean up the city and rebuild and modernize some of its key infrastructure. I just hoped maybe the city, the county and the state would have taken advantage of the situation a little more to get KC a little more ready for such an event, but mostly just using the WC as a reason to make some improvements to the city.

I understand the airport terminal was built, but that was in the works prior to landing the WC and luckily is was because the old KCI would have likely been the one thing that pushed the WC to another city.

Maybe more is going on behind the scenes than I know about. I hope that's the case. Like I said, I just want KC to look its best and it has a high bar with people coming from other major cities and other countries.