World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:35 pm Did I read somewhere KC could see up to 7 games?
I'm wondering if they try to sneak in another bid city.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:46 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:35 pm Did I read somewhere KC could see up to 7 games?
Who? Cincy only wanted to make minor adjustments to their stadium ($13m). Nashville is going to be in a stadium limbo with a new stadium completed (but the old not demolished) or near completion with both standing and no free space.

Denver maybe
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Doubt it. I think it’s just so they can prevent collusion in group stage.

And yes normalthings the original estimate was 5-7 matches per city.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Grant Wahl is reporting that FIFA is considering 4 team groups instead of 3 team groups at the 2026 World Cup to avoid teams playing to mutually beneficial results (i.e. teams play for a certain result so both teams can advance out of the group stage) With 3-team groups everyone in the group obviously can't play their last game simultaneously. The result of this is that there could be 104 games in the World Cup instead of 80.

KCDowntown
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It not just that. Many teams would be playing their first game against a team that has already played a game. That's not fair. Also means a lot of teams will spend a ton of money to only play two games. Also match fixing becomes a bigger issue.

If they expand, I think they'll add another host city or two though. I don't know why you guys are saying no other than "it'd be bad for KC".
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:09 pm
Who? Cincy only wanted to make minor adjustments to their stadium ($13m). Nashville is going to be in a stadium limbo with a new stadium completed (but the old not demolished) or near completion with both standing and no free space.

Denver maybe
Denver and DC/Baltimore
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:09 pm

Denver maybe
Denver and DC/Baltimore
Wahl's article said nothing about adding more cities. It wouldn't even be necessary anyway. Adding 24 more games for 16 host cities means they'd just add one more match to each, and a few would add 2 more matches. It would mean each city gets 6-7 games. And if for some odd reason they did decide to add another city- it would be only be one.

And yes it would be bad for KC because adding another city could easily decrease the amount of games we'd get. OTOH, if they expand the games and keep the same cities then that's a huge boon.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Remember that fifa tried to change Qatar like a year ago. If you think they won't change this, I have a new pedestrian bridge to nowhere to sell you
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:03 am Remember that fifa tried to change Qatar like a year ago. If you think they won't change this, I have a new pedestrian bridge to nowhere to sell you
What do you mean? They tried to change locations as in not playing in Qatar?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:03 am Remember that fifa tried to change Qatar like a year ago. If you think they won't change this, I have a new pedestrian bridge to nowhere to sell you
They tried to expand the tournament but it would have required hosting games in surrounding countries.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hopefully in KC's bid there were no promises/commitments made that can't be delivered in time, like rail to TSC. Could mean a move to Denver or fewer games.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think they will add more games but not cities
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am
They tried to expand the tournament but it would have required hosting games in surrounding countries.
How did that go?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

im2kull wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am
How did that go?
Not particularly well. The uae tried to blackmail Qatar into sharing games while the rest of the middle east was blockading Qatar. The two countries fifa was left with were Kuwait and Oman. To say that excitement was low for this would be an understatement.

After learning that everyone not employed by fifa thought it was a bad idea and the Nobel peace prize wouldn't be in their future, they withdrew the idea.

Anyway, fifa does weird shit is the moral of the story.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The local media is really trying to push this narrative that “where’s all the money gonna come from to pay for WC?? Are we sure this is even a good idea when our ROADS aren’t good”

It’s extremely annoying how consistently stupid they are on this- investing $50mil to get almost $1 bil back is something Dave Helling will surely never bring up.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:38 pm The local media is really trying to push this narrative that “where’s all the money gonna come from to pay for WC?? Are we sure this is even a good idea when our ROADS aren’t good”

It’s extremely annoying how consistently stupid they are on this- investing $50mil to get almost $1 bil back is something Dave Helling will surely never bring up.
Dave Helling also has no problem going scorched earth on incentives while disregarding the fact that KC Star got incentives for their now unoccupied printing press building. I’ve stopped putting any weight into his opinions
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Kansas City Power & Light District leader: How district can score with World Cup games

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... occer.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:41 pm Kansas City Power & Light District leader: How district can score with World Cup games

Maybe, we can have a full district by then?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:07 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:41 pm Kansas City Power & Light District leader: How district can score with World Cup games

Maybe, we can have a full district by then?
We've come a long way since they opened the initial district with that Famous Daves BBQ looool