World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

chingon wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 pm Also what are you guys on about with Denver and Nashville? Of course they are busier and more bustling than KC. Those are not peer cities. Denver is almost twice the size of KC. The difference between them is about the same as the difference between Denver and DC or Philly. And Nashville is not a city. It's a theme-park. Disneyland has a lot more bustle than Savannah, but...who gives a fuck.
Denver isn't twice the size. I've never been to Nashville, but I've to Denver many many times recently this year & last year and it's NOT more bustling than KC. It's more or less about the same foot traffic.

The 16th St Mall is the same as Plaza. Their Union Station area is about the same traffic as River Market. The rest of their downtown is about the same foot traffic as the rest of KC's downtown. Again, I can't speak to Nashville.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:41 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:03 pm
chingon wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:23 am

JFC, what an old act.
What's wrong with impressing visitors. KCMO is a cool city that I think does impress most people. The central urban part of KCMO. The rest of metro KC? Not at all. What's wrong with thinking that tourists will enjoy KC more if they are not pushed to places like Village West?

And there is also nothing wrong with a big push to get things spruced up around the city. Any city that would host an event like this would spending tens of millions on just basic stuff like making sure key parts of town look good and don't have crumbling streets, sidewalks etc. Maybe KC has a plan for that. I'm just saying I hope they do. And that includes the area around the stadium. If they know Arrowhead is staying or a new stadium is going in there, then why not push for a redevelopment of the adams mark, install new sidewalks and landscaping in the area etc. It looks and feels so crummy around the stadiums.

I mean there is enough time to make I-70 or other routes from the city to the stadiums look less ghetto. 70 looks like hell east of downtown like it has not been improved since the 1960's. If Modot has a plan, get them to expedite it.

I really don't get why this is so insulting.
Fair enough, but there's another side to that coin. I myself can't imagine being impressed by Village West, but wtf do I know? I once had to drive 2 people from New York City around, for reasons that don't bear explaining, through KC worst ghettos, and I kind of embarrassingly apologized, and they were both astounded and had thought we were driving through pretty nice working or middle class neighborhoods and couldn't believe poor people in KC lived in huge, awesome single family houses. I had cousins from abroad here once and you would not believe the lists of places they wanted to go: Cabelas, a race at the speedway, a drive in movie, fast food places, etc. They raved about the blandest KC suburban shit you could imagine: lawns, cul-de-sacs, highways, gas stations.

You, in particular, because you know KC's best, coolest stuff, are unreasonably ashamed of all the normal, boring, unremarkable stuff about it. Everyone doesn't feel that way. And I'm not much on apologizing for KC's flaws, or even feeling some kind of twisted responsibility or shame for them. A lot of people here like it, and a lot of them like it because of things I don't like.

Another example that I think is illustrative: one time my spouse was giving a talk at the University of Leeds, and we had been roadtripping through Great Britain for a couple months before hand, which she told the students. During Q&A, one of the students asked her what her favorite part of the trip was and she said our time in Wales and the room erupted into undisguised disgust. One student stood up and stormed out, huffing. We had though it was incredible, basically undiscovered from a tourist perspective, and a kind of weird wonderland, and the people who lived 2 hours from the region thought it was a backwater full of misshapen louts that they were ashamed to have colonized.
Sure...I guess. I mean of course some people or even a lot of people like the things you mentioned. That doesn't mean it's a majority and it doesn't mean its the proper way to build a city. I know you are trying to justify KC's sort of "bad side", but honestly, I'm not buying it. Village West sucks, so does most of suburban KC whether it's the run down suburbs or the newer ones. I miss KCMO, the Briarcliff to Brookside corridor. The rest of KC honestly leaves so much to be desired, not unlike most American cities.

American suburbs are bad enough, but KC's are spread out even more than normal and KC has too many decaying suburban areas while still building new stuff in the middle of nowhere. I mean KCK is a mess except for the very western edge of it and there are farms between Village West and developed parts of the city. I think KC's burbs are the worst of the worst, but maybe that's why people might even want to see them more?

I don't know, we all have different interests in life I guess.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The fuck are we even talking about anymore?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:07 am The fuck are we even talking about anymore?
Just haters. Like usual. Except amplified now because KC scoring a win this big doesn't fit their narrative.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah can we get on topic. We all know the thoughts on the suburbs. Who cares
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I hope FIFA does a good job with the local lodging and transportation. Imagine being a non-english speaker, finding a hotel in Kansas City next to a soccer stadium and end up with a Hampton Inn near Children's Mercy Park in KCK with little to no public transportation.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

kcjak wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:11 am I hope FIFA does a good job with the local lodging and transportation. Imagine being a non-english speaker, finding a hotel in Kansas City next to a soccer stadium and end up with a Hampton Inn near Children's Mercy Park in KCK with little to no public transportation.
Who does the responsibility fall to for leg work like that? The municipality hosting? Or FIFA and it’s affiliates themselves?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:47 am
kcjak wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:11 am I hope FIFA does a good job with the local lodging and transportation. Imagine being a non-english speaker, finding a hotel in Kansas City next to a soccer stadium and end up with a Hampton Inn near Children's Mercy Park in KCK with little to no public transportation.
Who does the responsibility fall to for leg work like that? The municipality hosting? Or FIFA and it’s affiliates themselves?
The website for 2022 Qatar appears to be FIFA, but I assume the host location provides some help. Obviously some unfortunate fans will need to stay out in the boonies but even people from the US don't understand the KCK vs KCMO differences.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

They've hosted in countries with poor or confusing infrastructure like S Africa and Brazil. I'm sure they've seen some very difficult situations managing multi-city events.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:17 pm
chingon wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 pm Denver is almost twice the size of KC.
Hm?
I don't want to derail the thread even more, but Denver's urbanized area is approaching 3 million and KC's is 1.6. Their urbanized area is also twice as dense, plus the rest of the front range urbanized areas are close. The 1990s "Denver is just KC with mountains"-era was 30 years ago.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

chingon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:21 am
Hm?
I don't want to derail the thread even more, but Denver's urbanized area is approaching 3 million and KC's is 1.6. Their urbanized area is also twice as dense, plus the rest of the front range urbanized areas are close. The 1990s "Denver is just KC with mountains"-era was 30 years ago.
I thought KC metro was 2.2 million, where are you getting 1.6 from?
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Last edited by KCKev on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

I'd start informing the traveliers at the airport. If they have got that far they should have a good idea of what's going on. Would hope they already have hotel and car rentals already. Dont see them arriving by boat on the Missouri river.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

How will 2026 World Cup actually work?
https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2022/06/20 ... l-it-work/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Ahhh, well these pods all work out really well & makes sense why we fit in for FIFA then.

"As for how that will all work, I’ve had a go at predicting which cities could be paired together to host games in 2026:

Vancouver + Seattle
San Francisco + LA
Mexico City + Guadalajara
Monterrey + Houston
Kansas City + Dallas
Atlanta + Miami
Boston + Toronto
Philadelphia + New York"
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:48 am

Hm?
I thought KC metro was 2.2 million, where are you getting 1.6 from?
Urbanized area, not metro.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Legit metric.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Hm?
Uhh. Where are you getting these figures for “urbanized” areas? Not saying you’re wrong, but please provide sources.

According to Wikipedia (not the most trustworthy sight, I know), but Denver MSA is 3M. You telling me that’s all urban? I don’t think so, especially if that number includes Aurora and other subs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver

And KC MSA, according to Wikipedia is 2.4M MSA (which seems high to me), so who knows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Missouri
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Urbanized measure is contiguous, MSA is by broad counties. It is a valid form of measure that has usable context.

This one is dated, there's a newer one out there...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... cal%20area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Very important for our world cup hosting!