World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by TheSmokinPun »

People aren't coming to KC for the architecture, they're coming to meet real life Ted Lassos.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KC does surprise in a good way because most have low expectations. She is exponentially more developed, modern, diverse, and exciting than anyone would ever assume. Our culinary scene is enough to be spoken highly of here in Los Angeles, and when I lived in Chicago most people knew of the Jazz and Mob history. Architecturally speaking Kansas City is a gem with many stylistic examples, and one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the Americas. It's the stadium area, Ashland Ridge, that desperately needs to be changed like asap.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It’ll be the usual suspects. Union Station/Crown Center, PNL, rivermarket etc. No need to shut down streets for that long or often when we have plenty of areas capable of handling events. Don’t see why they wouldn’t do the official fan fest at US pending how the Draft goes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:39 pm It’ll be the usual suspects. Union Station/Crown Center, PNL, rivermarket etc. No need to shut down streets for that long or often when we have plenty of areas capable of handling events. Don’t see why they wouldn’t do the official fan fest at US pending how the Draft goes.
Would love to have a barbeque competition during that month, maybe even a full world's best bracket battle over several weekends. I think our best bet is to have visitors say, "I got a barbeque sandwich from a street competition, the people were so nice, transportation was easy and everything was clean and well-run. Had a blast in Kansas City!" Fill their stomachs, fill their hearts, fill their minds. Just good Mid-West hospitality.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:20 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:39 pm It’ll be the usual suspects. Union Station/Crown Center, PNL, rivermarket etc. No need to shut down streets for that long or often when we have plenty of areas capable of handling events. Don’t see why they wouldn’t do the official fan fest at US pending how the Draft goes.
Would love to have a barbeque competition during that month, maybe even a full world's best bracket battle over several weekends. I think our best bet is to have visitors say, "I got a barbeque sandwich from a street competition, the people were so nice, transportation was easy and everything was clean and well-run. Had a blast in Kansas City!" Fill their stomachs, fill their hearts, fill their minds. Just good Mid-West hospitality.
Couldn't agree more.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:20 pm
This is the way
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

You read my mind about BBQ. Add some Jazz and it's really Kansas City.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

City needs a major ongoing effort to clean up. It is truly embarrassing to have out of town guests commenting on all the trash and graffiti. I have seen no outreach ahead of the NFL Draft. It is not too soon to try to change this nastiness before 2026. No matter how many new buildings and sleek streetcars, the urban slime will be the first impression to most first world visitors.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I have heard that a concerted effort to clean up the city will begin soon specifically for the draft.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:16 pm
It’s fine and fun as a local but imagine traveling around the world to hangout in what is an old abandoned industrial district. If you are wanting to market how modern/nice/bustling KC is, West Bottoms is one of the last places I’d put it.
I'll connect you with some old friends in Budapest, you'll never have so much fun in the ruins of a warehouse :)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:50 am
normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:16 pm
It’s fine and fun as a local but imagine traveling around the world to hangout in what is an old abandoned industrial district. If you are wanting to market how modern/nice/bustling KC is, West Bottoms is one of the last places I’d put it.
I'll connect you with some old friends in Budapest, you'll never have so much fun in the ruins of a warehouse :)
We talking deep house music, dirty warehouse and possibly some mind-altering substances in Budapest? Cause that sounds like fun.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Yes! Bring some jukers in from the Chi too!
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Biggest focus by a country mile needs to be making it easy to get to Arrowhead and having stuff there.

Like I said, people in Europe think tailgating is driving up someone's ass.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not really worried about that. Fifa will very very likely require tickets to be around arrowhead. They don't like having people without tickets around. There will be tents set up there for people to drink and party.

Everyone else will be at fan fests.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The 2024 Copa América (South America's national team tournament) will take place in the United States.

While it'd be nice to see KC host some games (as this is a effectively a test run for the World Cup), as it's a 16-team tournament, not all the venues/host cities for the World Cup would be used for this.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

swid wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:38 am The 2024 Copa América (South America's national team tournament) will take place in the United States.

While it'd be nice to see KC host some games (as this is a effectively a test run for the World Cup), as it's a 16-team tournament, not all the venues/host cities for the World Cup would be used for this.
HUGE announcement. Shoutout to Ecuador for dropping out.

While not all World Cup cities would be used, there's a chance that most will. There were 10 cities for Copa '16, and there will be 11 U.S. cities in 2026. 7 of the Copa 2016 cities are also WC 2026 cities:
- NYC
- Houston
- Philadelphia
- Seattle
- San Francisco
- Boston
- LA

If they keep 10 cities and don't bring in Chicago, Phoenix and Orlando which had Copa 16 but are not in the WC or a city like Denver/Nashville then 3 of the following 4 cities would be in:
- Dallas
- Atlanta
- Miami
- KC

Obviously VERY much rooting for KC. But that's some serious competition. Is our best hope taking San Fran or Philadelphia's spot?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Since this isn’t really our tournament, I think the focus will be on expat communities and making as much money as possible.

Don’t like our chances here.

They expanded the women’s tournament too, so I could see us getting that. KC traditionally supports women’s soccer well.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

KC very much in the running, being seen as a test run for making things bigger than ever for 2026 so I can imagine them getting group stage games at the least.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The format for the 2026 World Cup is being changed to groups of 4, instead of 3, meaning more matches. Seems to be good news for host cities!
The 11 U.S. cities chosen last June had been operating on the assumption that they'd each get five or six games.

That estimate has now been revised to six or seven — and perhaps, for a couple U.S. cities, eight. It's unclear how the matches will now be divvied up among the three host countries.
https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-form ... 58106.html
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:31 am The format for the 2026 World Cup is being changed to groups of 4, instead of 3, meaning more matches. Seems to be good news for host cities!
The 11 U.S. cities chosen last June had been operating on the assumption that they'd each get five or six games.

That estimate has now been revised to six or seven — and perhaps, for a couple U.S. cities, eight. It's unclear how the matches will now be divvied up among the three host countries.
https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-form ... 58106.html
That's even better. KCMO is going to make sooo much money off that summer.