World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:09 am We've come a long way since they opened the initial district with that Famous Daves BBQ looool
We really haven't though. Besides Bristol and Chipotle there have been very few restaurants/retail that have stayed in the district. Some of the spaces have been re-rented (a few better, most worse) and there are more empty spaces than there used to be. I'd sure love to have a burger from the place before Whopper Bar right now!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:28 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:09 am We've come a long way since they opened the initial district with that Famous Daves BBQ looool
We really haven't though. Besides Bristol and Chipotle there have been very few restaurants/retail that have stayed in the district. Some of the spaces have been re-rented (a few better, most worse) and there are more empty spaces than there used to be. I'd sure love to have a burger from the place before Whopper Bar right now!
Lol idk. I was just trying to make fun of Dave's. I went back on an old forum yesterday and saw the freakout about Dave's in 2007 and thought it would be funny to bring up lol.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I used to always hiss like a cat when I walked by Famous Daves.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:37 pm I used to always hiss like a cat when I walked by Famous Daves.
Does that explain the profile picture?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This site claims hotels are going to boost up for the WC
Hotel chains are bolstering their North American capacity in advance of the football World Cup 2026, which is being held in 16 cities across the continent.
https://tophotel.news/north-america-bee ... world-cup/
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Typical response from hotel chains. $ in their eyes from world cup instead of investing on guests comfort. Funny what motivates some people.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

A verified reporter on twitter says in a thread that KU & Cliff Illig are going to try to have one of KC’s the World Cup games played at the newly renovated Jayhawks Football stadium in Lawrence, KS. They want KS Gov to help with it too.

Obviously this sounds asinine and makes zero sense at all. But the fact that KU & Illig would even think to fuck over KC in that big of a spot like that is what gets me. Wow.

https://twitter.com/m_vernon/status/157 ... srDaIqFyZg

https://twitter.com/m_vernon/status/157 ... srDaIqFyZg
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

People say a lot of things when they're trying to get money. Wouldn't worry too much or take this seriously.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The reporter specifically says not games, just related events. I am pretty sure KU is on the city’s bid as a site to be a home base for a country. That is probably what they are referring to.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

kboish wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:15 am The reporter specifically says not games, just related events. I am pretty sure KU is on the city’s bid as a site to be a home base for a country. That is probably what they are referring to.
No he directly says Illig & KU. It could be for them fundraising. It’ll never happen. I’m a diehard KU fan but this is classic Kansas trying to steal success that KCMO anchored in, very sneaky. They’re just trying to walk it back now because people said they’re insane.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:15 am The reporter specifically says not games, just related events. I am pretty sure KU is on the city’s bid as a site to be a home base for a country. That is probably what they are referring to.
That is what I read too. Users speculate training facility which makes sense to me
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

There will not be any games moved to KU, I can guarantee that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Makes a lot of sense as a country training spot. I assume that Childrens Mercy Park and the US training facility would be for another country. Perhaps the new Current stadium would be another. Assuming four teams in rotation in Kansas City, where would the fourth facility be?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:39 pm Makes a lot of sense as a country training spot. I assume that Childrens Mercy Park and the US training facility would be for another country. Perhaps the new Current stadium would be another. Assuming four teams in rotation in Kansas City, where would the fourth facility be?
Local university with facilities? ST joe might be far but maybe chiefs training facilities there?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:39 pm Makes a lot of sense as a country training spot. I assume that Childrens Mercy Park and the US training facility would be for another country. Perhaps the new Current stadium would be another. Assuming four teams in rotation in Kansas City, where would the fourth facility be?
Park U
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We don't know how they're going to do 2026 yet but typically teams set up a base camp in the county. Well, I mean they all do.

In Qatar, the us is using a local football clubs stadium and staying at nice 5 start hotel. Every team has the same thing.

I don't know what their facilities are like, but I can't think of anything that makes Lawrence stand out.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

IIRC the new complex just built in the northland was whispered about as being a possible training location. There's just about nothing else around it, but it's got plenty of real estate to be sure (and Garmin out in Olathe).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:29 pm In Qatar, the us is using a local football clubs stadium and staying at nice 5 start hotel. Every team has the same thing.
We’re short some 5-star hotels then. Time to start building!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:35 pm From the FIFA 2026 Bid Book.

The original bid had these sites listed as the training sites. I still think KU got got floated to replace one of these