World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

"Clark Hunt says he’s heard FIFA recognized how good of a job Kathy Nelson and
@SportKC presentation was… and thinks there’s 'very good chance' KC makes the cut."

"'I think we have a very good chance of making the cut … we have our fingers crossed,' Clark Hunt says of 2026 World Cup possibility in KC.

https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/statu ... sDuWlGX6eA
https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/statu ... sDuWlGX6eA
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:17 pm "Clark Hunt says he’s heard FIFA recognized how good of a job Kathy Nelson and
@SportKC presentation was… and thinks there’s 'very good chance' KC makes the cut."

"'I think we have a very good chance of making the cut … we have our fingers crossed,' Clark Hunt says of 2026 World Cup possibility in KC.

https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/statu ... sDuWlGX6eA
https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/statu ... sDuWlGX6eA
Reassuring to say the least. Still up in the air though
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Announcement delayed until at least mid-June. Ugh
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The tension is building lol
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This quote from today's KC Star article is probably the correct outlook.
“My gut, I would be completely shocked if we weren’t a host city (for training),” said Sporting KC executive Jake Reid. “We check every box. I feel pretty strongly we will be a base camp for at least one country, if not two.”

Reid also thinks it’s a better than 50/50 proposition that Kansas City is chosen as a host site for games.
This actually makes me think its less likely we get a game. I had higher odds. If they publicly state its only 50/50. Its probably below that.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kboish wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:49 pm This quote from today's KC Star article is probably the correct outlook.
“My gut, I would be completely shocked if we weren’t a host city (for training),” said Sporting KC executive Jake Reid. “We check every box. I feel pretty strongly we will be a base camp for at least one country, if not two.”

Reid also thinks it’s a better than 50/50 proposition that Kansas City is chosen as a host site for games.
This actually makes me think its less likely we get a game. I had higher odds. If they publicly state its only 50/50. Its probably below that.
I wouldn't listen to any of the local boosters in any of the cities.

The most accurate source we've had in recent memory have been Grant Wahl's reports the last couple weeks. He's *the* global soccer reporter and doesn't have a dog in the fight. He's saying it's a 3 way fight with Boston/DC-Baltimore/Kansas City. And he's leaning KC because the other two have even more problems.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ If it's KC or DC/Balt, no way KC gets it.

Baltimore / DC is going to get it. I don't see how anybody thinks otherwise.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

GRID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:46 pm ^ If it's KC or DC/Balt, no way KC gets it.

I agree. DC is much more convenient from a visitor standpoint which I would assume is a factor in FIFA's decision making.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

daGOAT wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:49 pm
GRID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:46 pm ^ If it's KC or DC/Balt, no way KC gets it.

I agree. DC is much more convenient from a visitor standpoint which I would assume is a factor in FIFA's decision making.
Also it's hard to imagine the capital of the country not being represented in some way
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

freedog wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:51 pm
daGOAT wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:49 pm

Also it's hard to imagine the capital of the country not being represented in some way
Yeah but it's Baltimore which is not a great city, with respect to Baltimore friends. Boston and DC are both bids that look great but break down a lot in the details.

No reason you couldn't throw a fan fest in DC but not award Baltimore matches.

Also, Grant Wahl is from the area. He's a great reporter, but I'm sure is a bit biased towards the area.

His last report said fifa were going to come back and ask the cities for more financial guarantees. Fifa will always fifa.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Baltimore is fine for tourists. Actually, it's a pretty cool city even though it has some pretty major issues.

Areas like Fells Point and Federal Hill, Harbor East and Little Italy are totally fine and almost always bustling places. Even the Inner Harbor area is fine from a tourist perspective with the aquarium and all the ships you can tour, water taxies to other districts etc.

The stadiums are right near all that and have direct MARC Train access to DC and Baltimore Light Rail stations at the stadiums. The convention center is also right there if they wanted to do something for fans there.

Then you have all of DC and its attractions, so you could easily stay in DC and see everything in DC and only go to Baltimore for the actual games if that's what you wanted to do. They are very east to drive to and from or take transit between them.

More hotels, three major airports. I mean, they are going to make sure that DC/Balt is one of the host cities especially if it's up against a city like KC. I love KC, but you have to be realistic.

I can't believe DC has not built a new stadium yet though. Fed EX is by far the worst stadium in the league and in the worst location.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:43 pm I mean, they are going to make sure that DC/Balt is one of the host cities especially if it's up against a city like KC. I love KC, but you have to be realistic.
Actually DC is barely hanging on by a thread. They weren't going to get games and this is a last ditch attempt.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:01 pm
GRID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:43 pm I mean, they are going to make sure that DC/Balt is one of the host cities especially if it's up against a city like KC. I love KC, but you have to be realistic.
Actually DC is barely hanging on by a thread. They weren't going to get games and this is a last ditch attempt.
With that stadium I agree. They simply did not have a stadium and it's odd that they even thought they could use Fed Ex. Combined with Baltimore? Game changer. Not the best stadium. Kind of smallish probably. But the stadium is very accessible to DC. It's easier to get there from DC than Giants stadium is form NYC or the LA NFL stadium or the Boston stadium.

Hell, it's easier and probably quicker to get to Baltimore form DC than is it trying to get to Fed Ex in Landover MD.
Last edited by GRID on Fri May 06, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just to clear this up because I don't think anyone here other WoodDraw & I read the report:

-FIFA is very concerned about the distance from the fan events in DC & the games being played all the way out in Baltimore. This is a last ditch attempt by DC, because otherwise they weren't getting games

-Apparently there is also concern that Baltimore is way too close to Philly (which is going to host) to be also hosting games

-Boston has the same problem, since they're in Foxborough and fan events way out in Boston

-He gave KC the slight edge because the stadium is alot closer to its fan events

-Former USSF President Bob Contifuglia is a hired advisor to FIFA on the US cities, and he is heavily pushing for KC to get games, partially because of the Hunts

-In general, it seemed like FIFA's main priority is about travel distances for the teams, fan events & who is going to fork up money. There was no mention of hotels, transit, etc. I think at this point FIFA just kinda assuming that all the cities will take care of that
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I can see reasons to pick KC, but I don't know why they would not go to one of the country's largest and most important and biggest tourism cities vs KC. I feel like they would overlook a lot of issues to make sure DC is part of the event.

I think what KC really has going for it is being literally the only city in middle america to host games.

I hope KC gets it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC is looking very good. My confidence level is up and we will know by middle of June.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:46 pm KC is looking very good. My confidence level is up and we will know by middle of June.
Completely agree, KC has a legit shot at this. All conversations with FIFA continue to be very productive, and the process continues to move forward for the KC bid.

We've waited this long, just one more month until we know.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:46 pm KC is looking very good. My confidence level is up and we will know by middle of June.
Any reason in particular?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Let's gooo!! This is *huge* to get us out in front of the competition

Missouri is the first & only state to do this.

"A bill intended to help bring the 2026 World Cup to Kansas City is headed to Gov. Mike Parson's desk.
The legislation, sponsored by @JohnJRizzo, would terminate sales tax collections on World Cup ticket sales if some matches at held at Arrowhead. #moleg"

https://twitter.com/Kacen/status/152484 ... bxlHOSMUgg
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Air France 4-class 777 to New Orleans this December for a medical conference. This in addition to regular British Airways service. The flights are bookable to the public.

We would see this sort of thing in KC if we wont the WC or started hosting more major events.