4711 Belleview

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 4711 Belleview

Post by kboish »

You all do know where this site is, right? There is no Spanish architecture on this street. Its barely on the plaza.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:04 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm Que the pissed Plaza area people who won’t like the design because it’s too modern.
And they're right. This isn't a good design for the Plaza. Atleast the other one gave a nod to the character. This would be amazing downtown.

I'll take it over nothing- and atleast it's not really inside the Plaza- but I hate the modern aspect of it.
Your takes somehow always find a way to annoy me. There are many “modern” projects in the area over the past 60-70 years. and the “historic” pieces of the Plaza are far from Seville like in practice.

Who cares about the theme, especially this far out
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

kboish wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:05 pm You all do know where this site is, right? There is no Spanish architecture on this street. Its barely on the plaza.
Yeah, my uncle Lamanno had a dentistry on 47th and Belleview, what's your point? All you have to do is look at the old renderings to see how they replicated the architecture from the Plaza instead of typing something pointless lol.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:29 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm Doesn’t look that bad, but the renderings aren’t doing any favors. Once nicer once’s come out, it’ll likely look better. Que the pissed Plaza area people who won’t like the design because it’s too modern.

I will say, and it’s a personal opinion, the other plan I saw looked a bit better than this.
Am curious was the other design more atypical to the usual Mediterranean/Moorish vibes?
No. I'm pretty sure this is that site. It was modern but was a bit of a more unique design than what El Dorado came up with. Although I expect that the El Dorado design will look better once we see formalized renderings and so on.

These images come from SixTwentyOne, a local architecture firm who worked with Helix on Jamestown Square. This is called "Market Plaza" and was envisioned as part of an architectural contest. The one thing I dislike about this is the Belleview elevation because of the few windows but the street-level activation seems to be the same as the El Dorado proposal (minimal and elevated onto a podium). Description from SixTwentyOne...
Market Plaza is a proposed multifamily and mixed-use development near downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The aim of the project was to create a vibrant destination that would activate this important block in the heart of the city while providing a new luxury living experience for its residents. The development is made up of a mix of uses including a city market, a high-end sky lounge, multiple outdoor amenity spaces, and 300 multifamily units.

SixTwentyOne conceived of a design that activates the ground plane by pulling pedestrians up, away from traffic, and onto a raised vegetated terrace where they encounter a vibrant marketplace – unique to anything the city currently offers.

The terracotta rainscreen of the upper floors responds to the historic vernacular of the existing neighborhood, nodding to history but remaining distinct from it. For the multifamily portion of the building, the 300 units offer a distinct mix of studios, one and two bedrooms. Given the scale of the project (nearly a full city block) the amenities are distributed throughout the building, encouraging natural collisions between varied building residents, and creating a true community for people to live, work and play.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm Que the pissed Plaza area people who won’t like the design because it’s too modern.
And they're right. This isn't a good design for the Plaza. Atleast the other one gave a nod to the character. This would be amazing downtown.

I'll take it over nothing- and atleast it's not really inside the Plaza- but I hate the modern aspect of it.
The Halls redevelopment into a parking garage, 46Penn Centre, Marriott, and some others don't fit the theme either. A mixture of designs and styles make cities, cities. It's great to have variation.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 pm

Your takes somehow always find a way to annoy me. There are many “modern” projects in the area over the past 60-70 years. and the “historic” pieces of the Plaza are far from Seville like in practice.

Who cares about the theme, especially this far out
Jesus dude calm the fuck down. It wasn’t even that deep of a take, it literally says “I’ll take it over nothing- atleast it’s not inside the Plaza”
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:03 am The Halls redevelopment into a parking garage, 46Penn Centre, Marriott, and some others don't fit the theme either. A mixture of designs and styles make cities, cities. It's great to have variation.
Tbh with you I don't like the 46 Penn design much either. It depends how deep inside the Plaza it is, but the closer you are to the core of the Plaza I definitely prefer following with the traditional design.

Again though, would definitely rather have these projects than nothing! I think Lane4 will get this done, and sooner than later. I'm just curious to know when they'll wanna break ground
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Terra cotta cladding is making a comeback. Recently in architecture news, I've seen several projects using it. Any modern building using a vibrant-colored terra cotta would be very much in character with Sevillian architecture.

In San Francisco.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cew-xr6hUMu/

https://studiogang.com/project/mission-rock

Disney Headquarters, Hudson Yards, New York City.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZdUPS8hc1V ... _copy_link

https://www.som.com/projects/4-hudson-square/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too large grain for this neighborhood. Should be smaller grained for good urbanity. On this side of block will be one large long residential building. On east side of block are 4 buildings, all different, none that could be called small. Just a more human scale grain.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:28 pm They did a presentation at the WPNA meeting.They want to make 48th a 2 way street and add a Bodega to the corner which I think is cool. They claim the height is slightly above the limit by like 4 feet and OF COURSE someone at the meeting complained about it. Who really cares about height limits especially on the edge of the plaza.
A Bodega? You mean we might actually get a convenience store for once on the Plaza??
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Revised plans were uploaded to Compass showing a slightly sloped roof and a new "trellis" feature on the southern side top. Other than that, it doesn't look like much has changed, but the slight revisions make it look less "harsh" in rendering form.

Density wise, 18 units were lost (now at 320 instead of 338). 414 parking spaces planned.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think a bodega/convenience store on the Plaza would be beneficial not only to nearby apartment residents and office workers, but guests in hotels as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:54 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:51 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:28 pm They did a presentation at the WPNA meeting.They want to make 48th a 2 way street and add a Bodega to the corner which I think is cool. They claim the height is slightly above the limit by like 4 feet and OF COURSE someone at the meeting complained about it. Who really cares about height limits especially on the edge of the plaza.
A Bodega? You mean we might actually get a convenience store for once on the Plaza??
Yup the presenters even used the word Bodega and NYC in the same sentence. I fist bumped the air.
Dude..nice. I live so close to this section & have been whining about the need for CVS or grocery store for awhile. What's the next steps here? Are they trying to break ground this year?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

While exciting be forewarned that if they're not giving you a name, it could be tenant vaporware. A lot of developers are now using the possibility of neighborhood groceries or restaurants to sell their apartment projects in urban neighborhoods.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 pm Would they be able to pull it off while getting 48th st to become a 2 way street? The Bodega seemed to be a major selling point on the corner of 48th in order to get it to become a 2 way street (which is long overdue)
They can use that as leverage to get the city to approve a street change without a guarantee of it ever actually being built. It’s not like the city is going to come back, switch it back to one-way and then invoice them for failing to land the promised tenant.

Even as some other retail tenant, a two way street makes it more marketable as it’s easier for restocking.

Again, I would love to see them follow through on the bodega. However, a lot of projects are selling small grocers in their pitches to get buy in. In some projects it’s to mitigate NIMBYism. Others, like potentially here, are used to get their height/design/layout variances.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Plaza had a grocery store from 1934 to 2003. Muehlbach's operated at 4807 Jefferson for 60 years and closed in 1994. Meiners' Plaza Market opened in the same space after a renovation and operated from 1995 to 2003.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

horizons82 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:34 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 pm Would they be able to pull it off while getting 48th st to become a 2 way street? The Bodega seemed to be a major selling point on the corner of 48th in order to get it to become a 2 way street (which is long overdue)
They can use that as leverage to get the city to approve a street change without a guarantee of it ever actually being built. It’s not like the city is going to come back, switch it back to one-way and then invoice them for failing to land the promised tenant.

Even as some other retail tenant, a two way street makes it more marketable as it’s easier for restocking.

Again, I would love to see them follow through on the bodega. However, a lot of projects are selling small grocers in their pitches to get buy in. In some projects it’s to mitigate NIMBYism. Others, like potentially here, are used to get their height/design/layout variances.
They'd probably actually make alot of money on it. That area is loaded with residents and they're gonna bring in another 500 or so. And not a single one of us has access to anything like a Bodega. I think it would be profitable.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:15 pm Revised plans were uploaded to Compass showing a slightly sloped roof and a new "trellis" feature on the southern side top. Other than that, it doesn't look like much has changed, but the slight revisions make it look less "harsh" in rendering form.

Density wise, 18 units were lost (now at 320 instead of 338). 414 parking spaces planned.
Here are the revised renderings. I just noticed that the slope replaces the top floor on the southern end of the building, so it's slightly shorter on that side...
Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:55 pm I could be wrong but when they talked about it the other night they mentioned how important the sloped roof would be. Forgive me it was a rather long presentation but impressive.
It's clear that the sloped roof is a good addition to the design for the reason I mentioned - makes it less harsh of a design. Hoping it and 47Madison rise at the same time.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 pm Revised plans were uploaded to Compass
Absolutely love that streetscape. Wonderful.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:03 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 pm Revised plans were uploaded to Compass
Absolutely love that streetscape. Wonderful.
We need more terraced podiums like that in town. It plays on the hills that define the city a bit.