4711 Belleview

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 4711 Belleview

Post by GRID »

Nice dense infill project. And it looks good too. So this is a go?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I mean it has Planning and then council
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Seems a little neo-brutalist .
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:21 am Seems a little neo-brutalist .
I can see that a little bit.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So at 11 floors (I count a max of 11 floors) would this be an all wood building? I agree with the brutalist sentiment. Not a particularly attractive building.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:01 am So at 11 floors (I count a max of 11 floors) would this be an all wood building? I agree with the brutalist sentiment. Not a particularly attractive building.
No. You can’t with wood frame
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've beat the drum for a CVS/convenience store on the Plaza for decades. This would be a little far away but at least serve the west plaza neighborhood.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What corner of 47th and Belleview would this building occupy? I plug in the address and 4711 is a small block (NE corner) already occupied with a relatively new building and the Accurso law firm building.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No corner. Almost the entire east side from just south of 47th to 48th.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I wouldn't even consider that to be on the "Plaza". Near the "plaza", yes. Shouldn't be part of the Bowl restrictions.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

moderne wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:42 pm No corner. Almost the entire east side from just south of 47th to 48th.
so Are they taking out the Barnes Law Firm Building? I remember it used to be kind of a swanky night club with dinning and small bar upstairs and pretty cool lounge/club in the lower level. ALso if memory serves me right this was the spot that finally got Larry Johnson in trouble that sparked the end of his career in KC.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:07 pm I wouldn't even consider that to be on the "Plaza". Near the "plaza", yes. Shouldn't be part of the Bowl restrictions.
Shows how overreaching the Bowl restrictions are. People would have a stroke if a particular concept building, that I've seen, was proposed across from that 47Madison project (or as I like to call it, the butterfly).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Plan Com. tomorrow: Staff Recommendation: APPROVAL WITH CONDITIONS
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't understand why this location has a height issue. This development is literally surrounded by 10-12 story buildings and it's on the edge of the plaza "bowl" where tall buildings are supposed to be. Plus it borders a high speed road to the west. 12-15 stories here should not have second thoughts. I can see a 25 plus story building looking out of place but seriously.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I just moved out of the Volker neighborhood but still on their Facebook page. I saw a post from the West Plaza neighborhood association on the Volker page informing ANYONE to show up at the presentation by the developers to the West Plaza association and the only comments from both associations was that 4711 Belleview was a monstrosity and why couldn't the developers follow the height rules?
Sure, most people who comment on those things are not there to say how happy they are with the development, but goes to show the mentality behind some of the thinking. They probably were hoping to tap into some of the animosity shown by Volker residents against the Jamestown development and needed some vocal support against the Belleview building lol
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Historic, neighborhood groups back Plaza project after Lane4 cuts back height
Lane4 Property Group has earned stakeholder support — or at least non-opposition — in its bid to build an 11- to 12-story mixed-use development near the Country Club Plaza, exceeding the area's height guidelines for new buildings.
But following meetings with Historic Kansas City and neighbors, Lane4 reduced its unit count to 320 apartments, bringing down the building's height. Its proposal ranges between 134.5 and 159 feet tall, or 4.5 to 29 feet above the area plan guidelines, because of the site's 36-foot grade change from north to south.

Those adjustments brought the project into an acceptable height range, while also meeting other goals of the Midtown/Plaza Area Plan, such as encouragement of onsite parking and creation of new public space,
The city also received letters of conditional support for Lane4's development from the West and South Plaza neighborhood associations.
Officials noted that the City Council could condition its approval on one request from Historic Kansas City: that the council, rather than the commission or planning staff, have the last say on a future final plan or any amendments, including to the building's height.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-08-03
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Sounds like everything is good to go?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Many of the complaints from Plaza residents (especially from the condo buildings)... too much density. Many don't want *any* more residents added as it adds to car traffic and street parking taken away. The change that needs to happen is a shift from car oriented residents to pedestrian oriented residents. Many who move into the condos come from car dependent mindset.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:20 am Many of the complaints from Plaza residents (especially from the condo buildings)... too much density. Many don't want *any* more residents added as it adds to car traffic and street parking taken away. The change that needs to happen is a shift from car oriented residents to pedestrian oriented residents. Many who move into the condos come from car dependent mindset.
Adding more residents will reduce traffic as density begins to support walkable services and amenities
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree but many still drive from their condo to Plaza and surrounding area. The mentality of the residents is what needs to change. Hopefully when streetcar extension completes the Plaza starts to attract fewer car minded residents and creates a shift over time. For Midtown too.