4711 Belleview

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 4711 Belleview

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Core drills were on site this past week. They might still be there, but regardless it’s good to see some movement on this.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Belleview and Madison need serious road diets. Those stretches would be a good place to start reforming all of SW Trafficway.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:05 pm Belleview and Madison need serious road diets. Those stretches would be a good place to start reforming all of SW Trafficway.
Coming off I-35 to a road diet would be an awful idea.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:52 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:05 pm Belleview and Madison need serious road diets. Those stretches would be a good place to start reforming all of SW Trafficway.
Removing the offramp from I-35 and constructing a road diet would be a terrific idea
Fixed it!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

A traffic circle instead of the bum-muda triangle would work wonders.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

That cursed road is between me and where I buy food. I don't feel safe crossing it on foot or in a vehicle. I don't feel safe driving on it either with the flow of traffic going up to 50 mph with those narrow (for that speed) lanes. You know how many serious accidents are at the 39th and Westport Road intersections? The travel speeds have to come down! "Coming off of I-35".... that's operative. By 31st and continuing south there needs to be a clear signal to cars that they are no longer on the interstate and must behave as such.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I suggested years ago that Elon Musk could employ his "boring company" to build a couple of tubes to handle two lanes each of SW TFWY through-traffic from north of 31st street to south of 43d street. Most of the traffic is headed from downtown to Ward Parkway and vv., and Southwest Trafficway was designed to speed that through-traffic alongside midtown and to the west of the Plaza
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I understand the need to have some capacity as cars come off and on I35 to and from Midtown, the Plaza, and CC district since those areas don't have good direct access to I35. I can be realistic. I'm not asking for a reduction in capacity per se. But finding ways through design or otherwise to get average vehicle speeds closer to the posted limit would be a start. My next suggestion would be going down to two lanes in either direction, introducing turn lanes and derestricting left turns. That would allow some of the traffic to disperse off the trafficway and access alternate N/S routes more easily. Lastly, 39th and 43rd intersections must be overhauled. I'm no a traffic engineer and I don't know the answer. Perhaps a roundabout is the best solution for 43rd/Westport Road. Certainly the weird jug handle on the west side, time based turning restrictions, and lack of turn lanes, excessive vehicle speeds amongst other problems can make the 39th Street intersection confusing and dangerous interaction to say the least. And there needs to be more places for pedestrians to cross.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I used to drive SW Tfwy daily. Agreed with two lanes with protected bike lanes and turn lanes as needed, especially a roundabout(s) or some solution to the terrible Westport Road cluster. The lanes are narrow but speeds exceed 60 routinely.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm
That cursed road is between me and where I buy food. I don't feel safe crossing it on foot or in a vehicle. I don't feel safe driving on it either with the flow of traffic going up to 50 mph with those narrow (for that speed) lanes. You know how many serious accidents are at the 39th and Westport Road intersections? The travel speeds have to come down! "Coming off of I-35".... that's operative. By 31st and continuing south there needs to be a clear signal to cars that they are no longer on the interstate and must behave as such.
I'm going to be honest I don't feel safe crossing any street in KC. Drivers have no regard for pedestrians.

If the off ramp is eliminated where is the closet one to get to the plaza area? Rainbow? That's a little out of the way and a hassle. I don't know I just don't really see a goof alternative.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Metro wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:42 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm

I'm going to be honest I don't feel safe crossing any street in KC. Drivers have no regard for pedestrians.

If the off ramp is eliminated where is the closet one to get to the plaza area? Rainbow? That's a little out of the way and a hassle. I don't know I just don't really see a goof alternative.
I'm not the one who suggested eliminating the ramp on SW Trafficway. That said, Broadway and SW Trafficway both feeding and being fed directly by I-35 is redundant. If one where to be eliminated, it would need to be Broadway. That would give the opportunity to vastly improve Penn Valley Park and road diet Broadway. All I'm saying about the Trafficway is that there needs to be 1) some modest speed control 2) more crosswalks 3) probably allow left turns.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Back for a PortKC incentive request
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Wow. I just assumed this was dead.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Are we still talking about this design? I hope all the tile and Spanish-ish influences are still in the plans.

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:15 pm Revised plans were uploaded to Compass showing a slightly sloped roof and a new "trellis" feature on the southern side top. Other than that, it doesn't look like much has changed, but the slight revisions make it look less "harsh" in rendering form.

Density wise, 18 units were lost (now at 320 instead of 338). 414 parking spaces planned.
Here are the revised renderings. I just noticed that the slope replaces the top floor on the southern end of the building, so it's slightly shorter on that side...
Goonies wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:55 pm I could be wrong but when they talked about it the other night they mentioned how important the sloped roof would be. Forgive me it was a rather long presentation but impressive.
It's clear that the sloped roof is a good addition to the design for the reason I mentioned - makes it less harsh of a design. Hoping it and 47Madison rise at the same time.
This is the design being pursued today. New developer, new design.
Last edited by langosta on Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This is the design…
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yikes.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:28 pmYikes.
Supposedly material quality is “very high”. What was shown at more recent meetings looked like it had tile and brick on the facade.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Battleship
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:32 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:28 pmYikes.
Supposedly material quality is “very high”. What was shown at more recent meetings looked like it had tile and brick on the facade.
The plans I have show a mixture of green ceramic tile, two different colors of fiber cement panel, two colors of brick, exposed concrete, metal and glass as being the facade materials