Plaza Environs

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Plaza Environs

Post by herrfrank »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:36 pm Long vacant for over 35 years. Let us hope another long vacant lot, another hangover from the eighties building boom, can be filled at 44th & Main.
Are you referring to the Wishbone restaurant? I loved that place. Origin of the Wishbone salad dressing brand. It was in the main Victorian structure, and for decades the detached carriage house on the back corner housed artisan studios. Stained glass makers, custom gun case makers, etc.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

3 story building on St. Luke's campus at 4330 Washington being demolished. Anyone heard if it's being replaced with anything?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The nursing home and rehabilitation center that was in that building closed, and St. Luke's purchased it. It's probably just being cleared for now; and the site will become part of their long-term growth plan.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Can someone remind me of the name of the apartment project going up at 44th and Belleview?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

edit: wrong project in mind
Last edited by earthling on Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

This
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Ahh I finally found the tread. Thread is called West Plaza Flats, though the name of the project may have changed to Midtown Crossing. Unclear to me what name it will be marketed as TBH.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Thoughts?

"You've got, say, Capital Grille. You've got all the other restaurants in the Plaza that are paying for parking," he said. "Now, you're going to supposedly tell (Drake) they can build 30,000 square feet of restaurants, which compete with all the others in the Plaza, and they don't have to build parking? Now, you've basically got Capital subsidizing their competition."
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Wrong thread
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Heard the 45 Main project is dead. Jasty5 confirmation?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:04 am Heard the 45 Main project is dead. Jasty5 confirmation?
If it is, then damn. It does open the opportunity for someone else to come in and actually do something worthwhile.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:12 am
langosta wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:04 am Heard the 45 Main project is dead. Jasty5 confirmation?
If it is, then damn. It does open the opportunity for someone else to come in and actually do something worthwhile.
Is that the one where the Holiday Inn was at?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

It’s frustrating that we always seem to get past the point of tear downs before the project falls apart
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

From what I've heard its on the backburner, not necessarily dead. I haven't checked in on that recently though, something could have changed. It is a valuable spot with the streetcar coming and considering the views and proximity to the plaza/art museums. It will get developed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What is going on at 50th Main south of Plaza? Was over there this morning and noted a substantial amount of groundwork on SE corner.

(not sure about cross-street but on Main in the close vicinity to the Peanut).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:41 pm What is going on at 50th Main south of Plaza? Was over there this morning and noted a substantial amount of groundwork on SE corner.

viewtopic.php?p=650053#p650053
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:50 pm
Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:41 pm What is going on at 50th Main south of Plaza? Was over there this morning and noted a substantial amount of groundwork on SE corner.

Are you referencing the proposed office building by Van Trust? That looks to be more likely for the corner where I saw the site preparation. The referenced thread is mostly about 4930 Grand a couple of blocks away for some apartments - and that proposal is just hideous.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:14 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:50 pm

Are you referencing the proposed office building by Van Trust? That looks to be more likely for the corner where I saw the site preparation. The referenced thread is mostly about 4930 Grand a couple of blocks away for some apartments - and that proposal is just hideous.
Yes, there were two discussions in that threat. Van Trust is tearing down the building at the corner of Main and 49th St (I believe) along with the building behind it to 50th. They have a building they pictured to replace it that I referenced but I don't know if there is any real plans in place for it to move forward right now. I believe that's what you're seeing on the SE corner.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »