Re: Companies moving/expanding to KC area

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Average pay for the 900 jobs is $95k
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:18 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -jobs.html

Garmin to add 900 jobs in Olathe.

Wish they would do more downtown, but neat to see them continuing to expand
agreed, I wish our downtown contained more large corporate "HQ" type businesses. Bummer that most of the large corporate employers are all out in the burbs. But happy to see the growth and hopefully it will continue to be the catalyst for more businesses in the Metro
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

# is up to 1,500 jobs now
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:39 pm # is up to 1,500 jobs now
1500 jobs at 95k salary?

Even normalthings has to be impressed by that
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:24 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:39 pm # is up to 1,500 jobs now
1500 jobs at 95k salary?

Even normalthings has to be impressed by that
That's very good for the KC area. I spent some time looking up average salaries at local companies and none were even close to the reported amount for Garmin's addition. Cerner is reported to be $73,000.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

that's great news and again I hope serves as a wonderful catalyst for the entire metro. The more skilled, high wage earner jobs in the metro the better. It spurs development potential across the board in almost all areas
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With indicators for potential loss of local Cerner employment over several years these will be needed to offset. Hopefully all continue to grow locally.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:57 pm With indicators for potential loss of local Cerner employment over several years these will be needed to offset. Hopefully all continue to grow locally.
I think we discussed this before in the past, but the future of growing the city is going to be about the attractiveness of the city. Employment isn’t going to matter anymore unless it’s an in-person job like Panasonic. I think all focus needs to be on building up residential and making the city attractive. That’s all that’s gonna matter.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Walton funded company moving from Riverside, MO to KCK. Both Kansas and Missouri offered "similar" incentives.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... nt-hq.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 19427.html

KC area getting a new business HQ. From the description, I doubt if it will bring very many employees into the KC area and it's not coming from a place all that far away (Topeka). It will be located in Overland Park in the old Sprint HQ complex. I'm happy they can fill that space with something other than companies moving in from elsewhere in the metro and downtown.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

We should be harvesting every HQ or back office in Topeka, Wichita, Omaha. Des Moines, Columbia
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:58 pm We should be harvesting every HQ or back office in Topeka, Wichita, Omaha. Des Moines, Columbia
100%

Awesome news. Sounds like the new KCI played a factor as well
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:58 pm We should be harvesting every HQ or back office in Topeka, Wichita, Omaha. Des Moines, Columbia
True. But we also do not want to leave our hinterland empty. I'd still rather see a company move from Denver or Dallas than within our own area of influence.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:27 pm
True. But we also do not want to leave our hinterland empty. I'd still rather see a company move from Denver or Dallas than within our own area of influence.
I mean that is kind of what the Twin Cities are, basically one huge economic area and a pretty vast/empty hinterland. We should be a Twin Cities of the area.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Stripping Topeka seems kinda mean
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://archive.ph/XSNnN

Looks like Hill's received some state incentives to make the move. Also, I had missed that they were looking at building a warehouse in KCK.
The incentive agreement, obtained by The Capital-Journal through a Kansas Open Records Act request, details the terms struck by Hill's and the commerce department.
The agreement is dated Oct. 1, 2022, and runs through Sept. 30, 2027. A Hill's executive signed it Jan. 10, with Toland following suit two days later.
Hill's must retain all 375 existing headquarters jobs that will be relocated to Johnson County while also creating 50 net new jobs at the headquarters.
The $3 million in incentive funds will be distributed through multiple $500,000 payments from the commerce department to Hill's. The first payment was to be made within 30 days of the agreement being signed.
Another payment comes after Hill's makes $13 million in capital investments at a new warehouse and distribution facility in Kansas. The agreement doesn't identify the location of the warehouse, but the company's statement indicated it will be in Kansas City, Kan.
The company promises to invest at least $33.5 million in its new headquarters. And in order to receive the incentives, the company must also make $4.25 million in capital investment and create 60 net new jobs at the Topeka nutrition center. The facility had 244 jobs as of Oct. 1.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Canadian Pacific merger with Kansas City Southern approved by U.S. Surface Transportation Board. Can combine to create the new CPKC as early as April 14, 2023

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 73075.html
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

glad the merger is finished. Article mentioned the potential loss of 112 white collar jobs at KC Southern, despite the US HQ staying here in KC. Curious to what those are, as I'm sure some through normal attrition of retirement, some "golden parachutes" for duplicate/overlapping C suite types, VP's that KCS had that are no longer needed. Will be curious to see what stays & goes and then of course what they hire in once the dust settles. Could be nice for the new company to rely on the expertise of KCS employees in the US/Mexico markets to help ensure growth at a standard pace instead of perhaps scaling back and then moving forward. Will be interesting and I hope it is a benefit not a NET loss for KC and one of it's elder statesmen of the business world.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pm glad the merger is finished. Article mentioned the potential loss of 112 white collar jobs at KC Southern, despite the US HQ staying here in KC. Curious to what those are, as I'm sure some through normal attrition of retirement, some "golden parachutes" for duplicate/overlapping C suite types, VP's that KCS had that are no longer needed. Will be curious to see what stays & goes and then of course what they hire in once the dust settles. Could be nice for the new company to rely on the expertise of KCS employees in the US/Mexico markets to help ensure growth at a standard pace instead of perhaps scaling back and then moving forward. Will be interesting and I hope it is a benefit not a NET loss for KC and one of it's elder statesmen of the business world.
I was under the impression that the Minneapolis HQ of Canadian Pacific would relocate to KC. Is that still the plan?

Was it ever the plan?